• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

psilocybin mushrooms. emptiness/anxiety

I would try taking 2 or 2.5 grams next time, in quite a while from now, maybe when you're in a different place in your life (or if your life has some issues/anxieties right now, maybe wait til you're past those). Then when you do it, try to take it outside, somewhere safe, away from other people, and just be in nature. I always have uncomfortable mushroom trips inside (usually anyway), but being outside makes everything feel right.

I find mushrooms to be a very difficult psychedelic compared to most, unpredictable, sometimes your trip is filled with nothing but joy and sometimes it's wildly emotional, up and down, or even terrifying. But the experience can be so spiritual and wonderful too.

Is there a reason for this person taking 2 - 2.5 grams of mushrooms and/or waiting until they are at a different point in their life?

Yes, for both. Taking less is because 3.5 may be a little high to start out. Waiting is so the mental remnants of this trip will be less likely to influence the next. Plus I had a hunch that the OP is perhaps in a place where he has some anxieties. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my reason.

How do you know that 3.5 is too much? What kind of mushrooms are they? Did they show any signs that too much was taken and is that associated with a bad trip or was it the kind of mushrooms?

Everybody so far has told him to take less. Why do you give a specific amount?

How long will the remnants of this trip influence the next, does a life changing experience erase this influence? Should a person take it who is sad, happy, anxious, mellow?

yea im gonna try about that amount next time around. that totally could be why psychedelics turn against me! mental remnants after a few bad trips. its been a couple months now so im gonna take them again in the near future. i am in a place with lots of anxiety but that could be just a part of my personality. cause i really have nothing to be worried about. im going vipassana meditation course soon so i might take them after that.

they were psilocybin cubensis thats all i know. i think they were just the usual classic magic mushrooms

Well there are people who wind up suffering from chronic anxiety after using hallucinogens (as well as marijuana).

How do you know that 3.5 is too much? What kind of mushrooms are they? Did they show any signs that too much was taken and is that associated with a bad trip or was it the kind of mushrooms?

Everybody so far has told him to take less. Why do you give a specific amount?

How long will the remnants of this trip influence the next, does a life changing experience erase this influence? Should a person take it who is sad, happy, anxious, mellow?

Well, he reported an unpleasant reaction from 3.5 grams so I thought it prudent to recommend somewhat less. I thought about it and 2 to 2.5 grams seems like "somewhat less", plus I have used mushrooms a lot and I like the 2-2.5 gram range.

Turns out I was right in my hunch, he's in a place with lots of anxiety he said.

And I don't know, this isn't an exact science, I gave the advice I thought made sense from my experience with psychedelics. And yes a life-changing experience would almost certainly erase this influence, whatever trip he has next will probably be his primarily influence in the future. What's your advice?

I was just wondering what information you had. My advice came as an observational question about more of a bad thing becoming a good thing. Like, when does that happen? Jumping motorcycles over buidlings I suppose.

It is easy to think you have anxiety. I have anxiety. It is normal. So I was wondering for example if having anxiety is a sign not to take certain drugs. Seems like an arbitrary association and not something proven to cause any problems. I think he should stop taking it if it continues to exasterbate anxiety and consider it as a common side-effect.

I will ask the same sort of observational question, since when does waiting around before taking a drug change its side-effects? As with a headache medicine, there may be a certain "set", ie you only take it when you have tension headaches, and "setting", ie get out of a headache inducing environment; but if the headache medicine causes my fingernails to explode, will waiting a bit and taking a bit less really stop that from happening?

I think he should take the threshold amount to test for side-effects, 0.5 grams give or take for body weight.

Last edited:
Well when I am in a place where I am often feeling anxiety, I usually don't trip, because I expect there to be a good chance that my anxiety will be a large factor in the trip. That's why when I left Bluelight from mid-2001 to recently, I only tripped thrice in that period of time, because I was experiencing a massive amount of anxiety and depression during that period. And one of those times I experienced a lot of anxiety to the point where I regretted taking it. That was where the advice came from. Now that I am mostly free of that, taking psychedelics is once again mostly anxiety-free.

......... It is easy to think you have anxiety. I have anxiety. It is normal. So I was wondering for example if having anxiety is a sign not to take certain drugs. Seems like an arbitrary association and not something proven to cause any problems..........

I agree to some extent that anxiety is not necessarily a sign NOT to take certain drugs, but I believe it can be a sign that the odds of having an anxiety-free trip are biased toward a rough ride to some degree. It's also normal NOT to have anxiety - just as it's normal to have it. I know lots of people of each persuasion and my experience over a fair length of time is that those with anxiety are more prone to having 'difficult' trips. Psychedelics are well known to accentuate internal and external stimuli - therein lies one of their attractions. I for one certainly wouldn't take psychs if I was anxious about anything other than the prospect of having a mega-weird trip, which is what psychs often involve =D.

I once read a lovely comment in a pharmaceutical book which went something like this: "....of all the mind-altering substances out there, LSD is one of the few drugs where you can truly say the hangover comes before the experience instead of after". I would consider Psilocybin to be analogous to LSD in this respect and I've certainly found this to be true, certainly in the sense that psychedelics have no unpleasant after-effects for me. The hangover the writer is referring to is what he calls a 15 minute period of anxiety about 45 minutes into the come-up, which usually lifts prior to the onset of the main effects. The inference I'm alluding to is the potential for this property of psychedelics to add some mild anxiety to pre-existing anxiety and the overlap straying into the trip proper - thereby setting up a challenging trip.

Just my humble opinion, but I think it supports what Xorkoth is alluding to (please correct me if I'm wrong in being so presumptuous Xorkoth).

E