• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psilocybin Interaction with Various CNS Drugs?

Gammagore

Greenlighter
Hello

I kindly ask for some information from some knowledgable members before i proceed and possibly do myself harm so.........

I suffered a spinal cord injury at C3 level some years ago due to surgery to remove a tumour and radiation to stop residual tumour growth. As with any spinal injury we take a bunch of different medication to help with various issues that come with spinal injuries, muscle relaxers, anti-epileptics(for neuro pain), anticholinergic meds for bladder incontinence amongst others

Ive used lsd, 1p, al-lad and some other all with great effects, but my DMT journeys have been rather underwhelming, and recently I tried some Cubensis.

I tried 2 grams of P Cubensis, lemon tek, with very little effects, actually just a few tracers, so a couple weeks later i tried them again but this time 4 grams lemon tek, this time with exactly the same, very minimal tracers and some shaking of the eye vision, very meh. At first i thought it to be dud cubes but i doubt that to be the case.

So i tried to do some research on the effects of Psilocybin with my medication and found very little information and I'm pretty useless in understanding how things affect serotonin, dopamine etc etc. I was always under the impression that i was reasonably safe as i stopped taking any anti-depresants/ssri's, but i believe i am wrong and could very well have ended up in a bad situation.\

Please can you guys chime in here and help me understand better what is blocking my Psilocybin trips from dong anything. I understand it will take some reading but I'm here for harm reduction for myself and for any others that might be taking any of the same meds.

Current medication I take:

Oxybutynin (anticholinergic for bladder spasms) - Oxybutynin contains one stereocenter. Commercial formulations are sold as the racemate. The (R)-enantiomer is a more potent anticholinergic than either the racemate or the (S)-enantiomer, which is essentially without anticholinergic activity at doses used in clinical practice.[6][7] However, (R)-oxybutynin administered alone offers little or no clinical benefit above and beyond the racemic mixture. The other actions (calcium antagonism, local anesthesia) of oxybutynin are not stereospecific. (S)-Oxybutynin has not been clinically tested for its spasmolytic effects, but may be clinically useful for the same indications as the racemate, without the unpleasant anticholinergic side effects.

Baclofen (muscle relaxer/anti spasms) - Baclofen produces its effects by activating the GABAB receptor, similar to the drug phenibut which also activates this receptor and shares some of its effects. Baclofen is postulated to block mono-and-polysynaptic reflexes by acting as an inhibitory neurotransmitter, blocking the release of excitatory transmitters. However, baclofen does not have significant affinity for the GHB receptor, and has no known abuse potential.[18] The modulation of the GABAB receptor is what produces baclofen's range of therapeutic properties.

Similarly to phenibut (?-phenyl-GABA), as well as pregabalin (?-isobutyl-GABA), which are close analogues of baclofen, baclofen (?-(4-chlorophenyl)-GABA) has been found to block ?2? subunit-containing voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs).[19] However, it is weaker relative to phenibut in this action (Ki = 23 and 39 ?M for R- and S-phenibut and 156 ?M for baclofen).[19] Moreover, baclofen is in the range of 100-fold more potent by weight as an agonist of the GABAB receptor in comparison to phenibut, and in accordance, is used at far lower relative dosages. As such, the actions of baclofen on ?2? subunit-containing VDCCs are likely not clinically-relevant.[19]

Tizanidine aka Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) - Concomitant use of tizanidine and moderate or potent CYP1A2 inhibitors (such as zileuton, certain antiarrhythmics (amiodarone, mexiletine, propafenone, verapamil), cimetidine, famotidine, aciclovir, ticlopidine and oral contraceptives) is contraindicated. Concomitant use of tizanidine with fluvoxamine, a potent CYP1A2 inhibitor in humans, resulted in a 33-fold increase in the tizanidine AUC (plasma drug concentration-time curve).[1] Fluoroquinolone antibiotics such as moxifloxacin, levofloxacin, and ciprofloxacin should also be avoided due to an increased serum concentration of tizanidine when administered concomitantly.[5] Tizanidine has the potential to interact with other central nervous system depressants. Alcohol should be avoided, particularly as it can upset the stomach. The CNS-depressant effects of tizanidine and alcohol are additive.[1]

Pregabalin aka Lyrica (new age anti epileptic used for nerve pain among other uses) - Pregabalin is a GABAergic anticonvulsant and depressant of the central nervous system (CNS). It is classified as a GABA analogue and gabapentinoid.[50] It is a close analogue of the inhibitory neurotransmitter ?-aminobutyric acid (GABA).[51][52][53][19] Pregabalin binds with high affinity to the ?2? subunit-containing voltage-gated calcium channels (VDCC). It increases extracellular GABA concentrations in the brain by producing a dose-dependent increase in L-Glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD), the enzyme responsible for making GABA.[54][54][55][56] Although pregabalin is an analogue of GABA, it does not bind directly to GABAA, GABAB, GABA?, or benzodiazepine receptors. Nor does it block sodium channels and is not active at opioid receptors. Gabapentinoids, such as pregabalin, are ?2? subunit modifiers that affect GABA. In contrast to the distribution of ?2?-1 and ?2?-2 subunits binding correlates partially with GABAergic neurons.[57] Pregabalin increases the density of GABA transporter proteins and increases the rate of functional GABA transport.[58] It also increases extracellular GABA concentrations in the brain by producing a dose-dependent increase in L-Glutamic acid decarboxylase.[54]

From limited knowledge and what information i could find i suspect the Baclofen and Oxybutynin to be the culprits in blocking the effects of the P Cubensis.

I think i really did dodge a bullet, maybe something was looking over me, or maybe I was lucky, or were the cubes just spent of any actives?

Thank you

Hi there Gammagore and welcome to Bluelight from us all :)

Sorry to hear your trips aren't going to plan. I would actually suggest that all of them will interfere to some degree, especially the baclofen and pregabalin. However I'm going to move your post over to Psychedelic Drugs and let the folks there give you some hopefully more detailed feedback.

All the best,
CFC

Maybe your natural body's chemistry is leaning towards speedier psychedelics in terms of effects? There are lots of people who don't get much and don't really like mushrooms (and tryptamines in general) but would be very happy with lysergamides and/or phenethylamines. Have you tried any phenethylamine psychedelics while on these meds?

As for meds, I only see Oxybutynin as a possible interaction being an anticholinergic in it's action. I have combined Phenibut (very similar to Baclofen) with most psychedelics and it mostly increases effects IME.

Hi volsam
Yes I've tried 2ce and had perfectly fine results, but also tried 4aco dmt with no effects.
I have done mushrooms pre all these mess with great results.

I did see a video by a quadriplegic who had adverse reaction using mushrooms and baclofen, his doctor suspected the baclofen to be the culprit in his bad reaction.

Re the exybutini, I was talking to another paraplegic who uses oxybutinin and OxyContin and has absolutely no effects, so yes I believe the oxybutinin stops the effects of psilocybin and psilocin in their tracks, but again I'm no expert

Thanks

Gaba drugs can reduce trips, personally I've been on neurontin for three years from a car wreck that did damage to my lower spine I have taken mushrooms on it with no problem or reduced effects. Baclofen and lyrica could indeed keep some effects dumbed down, has anyone else tried the same batch of mushrooms and if so did they trip ( just to make sure you don't have weak mushrooms since they can vary wildly especially cubensis)? Though it is interesting that tryptamines seem to not work while lysergamides do..

Gabapentinoids don't actually affect gaba directly, they have an effect on some ion voltage channels. I'm pretty sure gabapentin and lyrica both do not directly affect GABA receptors, but baclofen does hit GABA-B pretty hard. In my experience, phenibut, which hits GABA-B slightly and the voltage channels much more strongly, does not mute psychedelic at all, in fact if anything it can enhance them in some ways. I would think the same would hold true for gabapentin and pregabalin/lyrica.

phenibut goes well with trips but baclofen is a different drug and the dose you will be taking may be much larger in terms of sedation effects/ CNS depression than i have ever had with phenibut

basically tripping with depressants is fine in small dose but large dose is an issue cos they do mute the trip

also lyrica type drugs mixed with baclofen/ valuim really potentiate the sedative effect. makes it way stronger

at the same time maybe tryptamines just dont work for you now for whatever reason

is it all trips dont work or just certain categories?

Hi

It's only mushrooms, I have no issue on any other drugs or lysergamites

I see on YouTube a guy on baclofen had a bad reaction when consuming mushrooms also I spoke to another paraplegic who uses oxybutinin and had no effects whatsoever from mushrooms.

With regards to the quality, well that is questionable, I was the only one consuming.

Current plan is- wean off baclofen and oxybutinin and start small, this time consuming mushrooms I am certain work.

Guys I found an interesting report from Netherlands about a guy on a few if the same drugs as i and he consumed mushrooms and ended up in hospital. I think the baclofen is a big no while I think the oxybutinin totally blocks the effects of psilocybin, maybe.

Cheers for the help chaps

Pregabalin does not hit GABAb hard, it is primarily a VDCC blocker unlike baclofen which is indeed mainly a GABAb agonist, so they are not that similar after all.
I agree phenibut and pregabalin don't really block a trip, although they may smoothen it like GHB.

Psilocin is mostly metabolized via phase 2 it seems so I am not really expecting serious phase 1 inhibition or induction by other medications.

I don't know if you mean this case report: https://www.njcc.nl/sites/nvic.nl/files/pdf/NJCC 03 casereport_Aleman.pdf

But yes it does suggest that mushrooms can perhaps exacerbate anticholinergic toxicity via some unknown mechanism. At least I don't see a direct link. As is described in the report, it may have been the last straw, but since the interaction is quite indirect it doesn't appear to have been the 'first straw'... so for something like that to happen you would apparently need to dose high on all anticholinergics (I don't think you are taking trospium which is one of them) and be unlucky.
In any case, be careful. I'm not sure if you would have to be off of all those medications entirely, but at least I wouldn't go near a maximum dosage and then take mushrooms to push the anticholinergic effect into overdose territory.

The reason for this man's hospitalization does not seem to be linked to why your trip effects were weak. I'd expect antimuscarinic effects to potentially contribute to a trip but at least not weaken it.

LSD and likely its analogues also activate D2 as a partial agonist, so they wouldn't be safer as far as this anticholinergic risk is concerned.

Last edited:
Hi

Yea that's the case I was on about.

Thanks for your replies, your knowledge and input is very much appreciated and I'm in no hurry to trip do I will take it slow when the time is right.

Thank you