PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Psilocybin and TCAs Questions

BadBoy377

Bluelighter
Greetings Bluelight Fam,

I hope you are all well.

Please could you help me with either advice, shared experiences or signposting to useful info? (I have already done some Googling but nothing particularly useful)

Does anyone here have any experience of using mushrooms whilst taking a tricyclic antidepressant? I am planning to do this but have I have never combined the two. I have been on a TCA for some months now and have used mushrooms many times over the years. I have never combined these two substances though.

Does anyone have any experiences of this they could share?

Will the TCA blunt the experience? And if so would potentiation via lemon tek be appropriate?

Typically there might be light to moderate alcohol and weed use too.

All input gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

BB

I would left weed out and try half dose of the psilo. I would probably take half dosage of the TCA too.

Maybe you would get somewhat blunt effects but probably nothing to worry about. If at 2-3h everything goes smooth and you feel like redose, I would go for it

TCAs, at least something like Amitriptyline are actually known to potentiate psychedelics, especially LSD. I assume the same is true for psilocybin and DMT, because when I was on this last Summer I tripped absolutely fucking ridiculous off just 2g. It felt more like I'd had an 8th. The visuals were so overwhelming I had HPPD for 2 months, but I'd also done DMT for a month straight prior to this, and most of those trips I'd actually completely black out despite not doing more than 10-20mg each time. Can't speak for other TCAs, but the classic psychedelics and anti-depressants chart on Reddit states LSD is a lot stronger while on it, and IME the others are too (didn't do LSD on it though and don't think I'd want to)

Honestly, stopping or reducing a medication so you can trip harder is never a good idea.
Yeah, thanks. I'm inclined to agree. I'm not that sure that I really like these meds tbh. But if I do stop it won't be for that reason. Cheers.

TCAs, at least something like Amitriptyline are actually known to potentiate psychedelics, especially LSD. I assume the same is true for psilocybin and DMT, because when I was on this last Summer I tripped absolutely fucking ridiculous off just 2g. It felt more like I'd had an 8th. The visuals were so overwhelming I had HPPD for 2 months, but I'd also done DMT for a month straight prior to this, and most of those trips I'd actually completely black out despite not doing more than 10-20mg each time. Can't speak for other TCAs, but the classic psychedelics and anti-depressants chart on Reddit states LSD is a lot stronger while on it, and IME the others are too (didn't do LSD on it though and don't think I'd want to)
That's really useful information BourbonMac, thanks.

Do you know what kind of shrooms it was when you had the 2g?

That's a lot of DMT by the sound of it too.

I'll definitely proceed with caution. Cheers.

I'm not exactly sure, just your regular kind of shrooms you'd find on the street I suppose. I think albino averies, I have some of those now and it's the first time I was told what type they were and these appear identical to just about any shrooms I've ever got from friends.

In terms of dose, that's a relatively small to medium amount of DMT so to black out as often as I was wasn't normal. Off TCAs I never blacked out over the past few months of using like 4 grams of it in 2 months, I remembered basically all of my trips including the handful of breakthroughs. But yeah, absolutely something was up interacting with the shrooms, I did 3g the other week and didn't trip anywhere near as hard as that 2g. I tripped hard but I didn't have visuals that lasted for 1-2 months after. I'd get baked often in that span and suddenly the kaleidoscopic skeleton patterns were everywhere again, text was wobbly etc.

Wow, yeah. I don't really want that to happen.

I appreciate that it's a smaller dose DMT, I meant sounds like a lot if you were on it a month straight, like everyday I assume?

I'm in UK so only ever had the shrooms that grow here, liberty caps aka psilocybe semilanceata. Generally pretty good.

Yeah, every day. That alone caused some HPPD before the shrooms, but I liked it. I didn't seem to get HPPD with my abuse of it between March and May though. I do think the TCA played a huge role. If it potentiates LSD, it must potentiate other tryptamine psychedelics but Amitriptyline/Elavil are the only ones known to do this as far as I'm aware and I don't know which one you're on.