• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psilocybe Semilanceata - how much for the first time?

I'm sure you could have found this information easily but around 2 grams for a mild trip with some visuals, around 3-3.5 grams for the real deal. If you throw up or get nauseous easily google mushroom tea. If you decide to take 3 grams I suggest sipping the tea slowly to reduce come up anxiety as the tea hits you fast and hard.

Good luck and safe travels! :)

2 grams should usually not be boringly weak so definitely don't underestimate calling it mild there... Yes 3-3.5 grams is the real deal, but often it was quite strong and serious for me even with a little experience under my belt.

And yeah my advice would also be in the 1.75-2g range (for Cubensis) and my experience tells me that it also is approx the average dose advised in the First Time Shrooming thread where this is a frequently asked question:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=7132141

Does the S. stand for semilanceata aka liberty caps? Cause all of the above is about Psilocybe Cubensis..

If you want to know the potency of other species, use the Shroomery's dosage calculator. You can find the link to that in the OP of our centralized Mushroom Thread here:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/58587-The-Big-amp-Dandy-Psilocybin-Mushrooms-Thread

ok. thanks for reply :) i was thinking more about 0,5g. what are the lowest I can go to have any effect? I have heart some people suggesting to take a fair dose the first time, though.
now I am unsure what to do. whoud you rather be a little owerwhelved, or a little bit dissapointed the first time? :p
(I originally waanted molly before mushrooms, because I wanted something I felt I could handle more easily, and without nausea)

2 grams should usually not be boringly weak so definitely don't underestimate calling it mild there...

You're right, I meant a mild TRIP, as in it will definitely be an experience. Never underestimate our fungi friends as they WILL obliterate you if you let them :)

Oh and they are semilanceata be extra cautious. I ate 1,5 grams that I picked from my backyard and had an incredibly intense experience, much more chaotic and unpredictable than cubensis IMO.

Edit. 0,5 grams isn't worth it IMO, maybe try 1,5 grams in a tea if you want to see what's up. That should give you a peak into the mushroom headspace without being too overwhelming :)

ok. thanks for reply :) i was thinking more about 0,5g. what are the lowest I can go to have any effect? I have heart some people suggesting to take a fair dose the first time, though.
now I am unsure what to do. whoud you rather be a little owerwhelved, or a little bit dissapointed the first time? :p
(I originally waanted molly before mushrooms, because I wanted something I felt I could handle more easily, and without nausea. then take it from there.)

also, there is no risk of any brain damage, right?

What species of mushroom do you have? If they are Azures, I recommend 1g-1.5g to start with.

Edit. 0,5 grams isn't worth it IMO, maybe try 1,5 grams in a tea if you want to see what's up. That should give you a peak into the mushroom headspace without being too overwhelming :)[/QUOTE]

ok :) is it possible to "ruin" your first experience though? like I said by taking too much or too little? and what are some tips to reduse nausea and general anxiety?

No, not brain damage. If you have really bad luck, there can be a headache or brain zaps (on high doses mostly) - but I don't mean to scare you by that, on the contrary: I want to reassure you that even then it is physically quite safe. They have a large therapeutic index: a huge difference between an active dose and a dose that would be problematic on the body.
As for the mind, that is a different story. :)

You are absolutely right / smart to wanna take it slow. And yes you are fine to take a very low dose that will make you only a bit stoned feeling if anything. It can be hard to say anything about it at this point, hard to extrapolate and imagine how effects from a higher dose will be, it is not exactly the same only a lot stronger.. Heavier doses are just different since the weirdness will only kick in if you take enough for that.

0.5 grams of Cubensis might be so low that you probably will hardly feel it at all.. even then, it costs nothing (only 0.5 grams lol) to try that. But yeah 0.75 or rather 1.0 grams should be fine to test the waters.

Molly before mushrooms, like try molly at a whole other time before trying mushrooms, or pre-dosing with molly to make the mushrooms easier to handle?? Don't do that. Never combine drugs (especially 'serious' ones like these) the first time, and don't try to rely on something to artificially hold you over, that is risky business. If you are not up for it, just don't take any of it.

If you start with 0.5 grams or 0.75 or 1.0 something low like that.. just don't be expecting a trip or anything that is like having experienced the full potential of mushrooms, otherwise yeah you will be disappointed since it is not what a threshold dose is! Just adjust your expectations: it is to test the waters.

psilocybe semilanceata

AH

as I suspected ^

forget all of the above dosages mentioned, or rather multiply by 0.75 for semilanceatas... that means:

the 0.5 g mentioned earlier for Cubensis = 0.38 g for Semilanceata (threshold)
0.75 g Cubensis = 0.56 g Semilanceata (may get noticeable, still quite weak)
1.00 g Cubensis = 0.75 g Semilanceata (weak, but a little less so)
1.5 g Cubensis = 1.12 g Semilanceata (mild)
2.0 g Cubensis = 1.5 g Semilanceata (normal but not full on)
3.0 g Cubensis = 2.25 g Semilanceata (starts getting stronger for fuller effect, but not necessarily overwhelming)

from 3.5-4+ Cubensis or 2.6-3.0+ g Semilanceata it may get more likely to be overwhelming especially for unexperienced trippers.

Two things:
  • Mushrooms are natural products and unless you made a homogenized mix from them potency between each individual mushroom can vary. And potency from one batch or dose to the next also varies.
  • Sensitivity to psychedelics in general, but also psychedelics in specific can vary between persons.. so you can test this by checking out a psychedelic at low doses first. For mushrooms it may take a few times, preferably with different batches, to find out your sensitivity since the difference in potency between the specimen can confuse your assessment of your sensitivity.

Finally: you may want to do some more research on this before going ahead. Have you checked out Erowid and their mushrooms vault for information? It can help you understand what to expect. You can't really imagine quite what the experience will be like, and perhaps that keeps it magical... but knowing more about it can take away feelings of unrest from uncertainty so that you can just peacefully let yourself go when you decide to trip!

have pleasant and safe journeys :)

Last edited:
all right :) so I could take, say 1,5 and be fine as well, if im up for it? :D
i want a psychedelic experience yes, but as the same time be "safe"
also what are bad trips like? how would I handle them? what is the "worst" that can happen from them, realistically? (no stupid answers, please :p)

also, could I use valium, or eventually a glass of red wine to reduce anxiety prior to the trip?

No valium before the trip, maybe afterwards if you can't fall asleep, glass of wine is OK but very hard to drink while tripping :) MDMA is a safe place to start but it's nothing like psilocybin. So trying one probably won't prepare you for the other. And read my warning about the potency of Semilanceata, maybe start with one gram dried, brew some tea out of it and see where that takes you :)

all right :) so I could take, say 1,5 and be fine as well, if im up for it? :D
i want a psychedelic experience yes, but as the same time be "safe"
also what are bad trips like? how would I handle them? what is the "worst" that can happen from them, realistically? (no stupid answers, please :p)

On bad trips: check here, there are subthreads on the questions you asked
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/120629-The-Big-amp-Dandy-Bad-Trip-Thread

I understand you want to try a psychedelic trip on mushrooms but want to avoid the risks. But you can't really have one without the other, and honestly that is fine. It is more about acceptation, being able to let go, or to take a leap of faith - put your faith in yourself, and the fact that you don't need to anxiously stay in control of everything to be okay.
Learning to trip means learning to handle the psychedelic amplifying how you feel and what you think, and to ramp up the feedback loops. Which can have you running around in circles in your head. The answers lie not in thinking the correct thing, but to just don't worry about it in the first place.
Worrying is not necessary, instead prepare well by learning the do's and don'ts - check out our resources, the Beginner's FAQ, our Index on relevant topics etc. Then follow the rules of set and setting properly, and trust that this is enough to be safe. Not being safe comes from doing something stupid like ending up participating in traffic while tripping etc. An example of a big don't.
If you pay attention on that kind of thing, you can avoid problems in the first place and the tripping itself is safe. Don't preoccupy yourself with fearful thoughts like some small chance that a complication happens. While perhaps true, you cannot live either thinking all the time about that chance that you might have a heart attack right? That is no way to live, even if it is fine to at one point read up on it on internet, but then leaving it be!

Not sure if considering the worst things possible too much in that panicky sense.. but one common theme I would say that is recurring for me when I use a good dose of a decent psychedelic, is that I am confronted by my own mortality, that I might believe that I am dying, and that I can even go through experiencing something like ceasing to exist and then being reborn, and having that happen a few times again after that.
In some Oriental religions it is believed that the art of dying properly is integral to living, it is a part of it and it should not be feared. For sure, tripping has made me look differently at it. I don't want to die any more than I used to, but I am more at peace with it being an unavoidable and natural thing.

The thing to remember here though, is that you don't really have to fear anything but fear itself. And that includes the whole dying thing I just mentioned.

Same principles about going crazy. Sanity can be impossible to prove - not only to others but also yourself... and having these new thought patterns may have you worried - some things may seem impossible and the conclusion may be that your mind is broken. Instead it is just temporarily tweaked a little bit.. You wouldn't be the first to be afraid to go nuts, or to never be the same again... i
In reality, yes it is dangerous to trip if you are mentally unstable or have an underlying condition (if there is a lot of say schizophrenia or other psychosis in your family be forwarned), but besides that the main point is that many trippers lapse into self fulfilling prophecies and (logical) fallacies aka thinking errors.
You can temporarily get openminded (after all your mind is expanded), but not having learned how to deal with this yet, it can be used the wrong way resulting in temporary loss of your healthy skepticism. You may believe things a little too easily then, and it can also change pretty quickly. It is just common to get quite volatile mentally, and extremely open to suggestion.

Most of the things I mention here can be an issue with full strong doses of a psychedelic but will not be much of an issue on low doses. At low doses it will probably be limited to various flavors of 'weirdness' but nothing too fully developed.
If you see a theme here it is related to consciousness expansion. Which can have you reflect on things you never reflected on, and the escalation of that is seen as the issues I portrayed. Being new to all this adds to the impressionability.

I guess a lot of cases of bad trips are difficult experiences that even afterwards a person has not come to terms with. I'd say that a lot of trippers at some point get to see the difference. Most are just difficult experiences that can be huge lessons. Actual bad trips are just FUBAR pieces of shit with only tormenting horror.

Just take it one step at a time, and try to learn from other people's mistakes so that you can avoid making them. Most trips are fruitful either way in that they can help you grow as a person.

Maybe read this post again, for example that part about avoiding having too much difficulties happen too quickly, by reading about Set & Setting. And follow rules like: never combine a drug the first time you try it, and always start low with every new batch of every drug that you take, and slowly work your way up. Always know how much you are taking and what you are taking.
Further along the road, intense experiences will be hard to avoid - and you don't have to.. but badness you can avoid, by staying informed and responsible and careful.

Go dig and do research, you can't expect people to type up fresh versions of perennial questions every time :)

Last edited:
In my personal experience, I have found that Semilanceata and Cubensis have distinctly different characteristics. For me, it is like the difference between sativa and indica. I used to love Semilanceata for the very distinct and fun head space that it gave me.

My recommendation would be to try a gram and see if you enjoy it. If it is something you like go up from there. Always approach a mushroom trip with respect though, they will provide a serious ass-kicking when you least expect it, if you don't.

First of all, thanks to Soplipsis for the long answer :)
Ok, so I got hold of some molly yesterday. Was wondering about maybe trying that out first, to test the waters of psychedelics, kind of :)

also, could I use valium, or eventually a glass of red wine to reduce anxiety prior to the trip?

Yes, taking Valium is absolutely fine, regardless of the opinions of others. It just takes the edge off. If you need it, take it. You'll still trip. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

I'd say 1.5grams is pretty much a borderline dose. You should be fine, and probably won't need a Valium. After 2 grams is where semilanceata starts upping in intensity, IMO.

MDMA is a brilliant chemical to start out on.