• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pseudohalides (and thiocyanate/rhodanide especially) physiologically acceptable

Thanks for the hint on pentafluorosulfanyl derivatives (http://spirochem.com/sf5.html?p=2)
Would make for a pretty novel chlormethiazole analog, if its active.

As for acetonitrile, its still capable of causing cyanide or cyanide-like poisoning. Its still quite toxic.

OK, since this is a new topic to me (coming at its own proper idiosyncratic timing) along the span of my self-education
(amounting to my "too advanced in some areas for anything viable to apply even to other essential emulations of the advanced subject in question" (e.g. transition metal pi-stacking for improved electrostatic ligand binding), and at an occasional fully blind-spot where my knowledge comes up lacking some very most "elementary" (har har) 1st year basics passed as they have under my radar due to never having taken a course to fill the blanks, because I like discovering by surprises even if it makes me the object of fleeting ridicule as it has here where my ignorance of bond angles preceded me), but having watched online seminars etc of advanced topics ;-j )
, could someone tell me if these are at all viable (not in terms of simplicity of manufacture, but rather in physical efficacy) as ligands in terms of replacing a mono-halogen of one sort or another, or is it more just a halide by the very fringe-most criteria of its properties? (Might they be superior in some ways to the usual halogens?)

yes indeed. Already thought of it when I was informed of the latter substitution as per this thread.

Not to mention the alpha-methyl and alpha-ethyl, and the methcathinone and the pthalimidopropiophenone version of the plain cathinone versions, I think the latter would work anyway, since pthalimidopropiophenone apparently works as a prodrug for cathinone, cleaving in the stomachs acidic environment. Would be neat to try at least with substituted cathinones, knowing now that beta-keto-2C-B IS active, but is extraordinarily unstable.

As far as the 2-C, cathinone and methcathinone and DOTFM derivatives go....does the montreal protocol ban production of small (laborotory research scale) quantities of fluorohalocarbons? (that is where one or more halide substituents are not F? and it only covers chlorine and bromine doesn't it, in any case? so CF3I wouldn't be banned and thus completely unobtainable bar synthesis, or am I mistaken with respect to fluoroiodocarbons? otherwise..further substitution of fluoroform would be exceedingly difficult wouldn't it, due to the strongly electron-withdrawing effects of even 1 F atom, three would make things bloody hard to say the least,no?

Hey poly, your post got me to do a quick overview of pseudo-halides and by extention superatoms. May my ignorance be excused but it seems Au144(SR)60 is one, and I am a bit confused as to the "SR" part; is that meaning a sulfur and any alkyl inclu. sulfur-hydrogen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiolate-protected_gold_cluster

Protecting the surface of atomic clusters with thiols or other ligands is necessary to make the clusters less reactive. Even a noble metal like gold, that doesn't react with ordinary acids or bases in bulk form, can be highly reactive if it's in the form of nanoparticles.

Interesting that a phenyl-capped sulfhydryl donor is use.

Do I even need to ask the question here?:p

If the same was done with a substituted benzene ring, would it be capable of binding at 5HT2a?

My god, the amount of the stuff you could flog to the chav element...I provisionally name it '2C-Au my god, what a dickhead!'=D

As for acetonitrile, its still capable of causing cyanide or cyanide-like poisoning. Its still quite toxic.

Yes, acetonitrile is toxic, but somewhere in the gram/kgbodyweight (meaning you'd have to drink like 100 ml to top yaself) range. The LD50 for propionic/butyronitriles are significantly lower. That was what I meant.

Acenotriline is metabolized poorly. I usually recall smelling it on my breath for 12-24 hours after working with it. A bit annoying.

Well I meant relative to other solvents. Can't have been too healthy though, belligerent drunk. Bet that got tiresome after a while too.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=375638 Anyone get this? i keep getting stucktrying to use sci-hub by insolvable captchas that come up as wrong, even when correctly typed.

Seems like it at least sometimes might be quite a bit more toxic than thought. I'd like to know how much the kids ingested. Mot that I plan on drinking any of course, in that respect i'll stick to EtOEt and/or DIPE!