• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"Pseudo speed" in Australia, what is this stuff exactly?

rykers

Greenlighter
An associate of mine recently came across some stuff that the "provider" was calling "pseudo speed". Apparently, old school speed is hard to come by now that this ice crap has taken over so another associate of mine was very curious as to what this really is. Apparently it came in a white (very white) rocky form that could be crushed into a powder, was rather cheap and smelt and tasted like the old school speed that was around many years ago. However, my associate said that he snorted a huge line and it had little to no effect! Smoking apparently had more effect but was still nothing like the old school stuff. Does anyone know what this could be? Could my associate wash it out with something to clean away any impurities? Thanks.

What you got was methamphetamine HCL highly cut with most likely MSM. Basically, the norm now is for speed to come in this rock form instead of the gooey stuff we used to get. It's simply more profitable as people can smoke it as well as all the other routes of administration. You can perform an acetone wash on it to remove the cutter but you're most likely going to be left with next to nothing. Your best bet if you wish to consume methamphetamine these days is unfortunately to purchase 'ice' or more purer crystal. You're taking the same drug, just with less cut so you need to do less. For example, if you used to use half a gram to a gram of speed in a night, you'll probably only need 1 - 1.5 points of crystal over the night. Simply eat it as you used to or snort it but do not smoke it unless of course you want to go down that road. Just remember that the gooey speed you used to get had the same active ingredient as ice, just in another, less pure form. It is actually much better harm reduction wise to consume ice on a night out than any form of speed as you're getting what you want without the disgusting cutters they use. I acetone washed a gram of rock speed I bought for ridiculously cheap and got back 0.07g. Not even 1 point of methamphetamine in the whole gram.

I haven't seen gooey goey in quite a while now, and everyone i know that used to use goey now uses ice for the reason noted above. Just be careful and remember with stronger purity comes increased desire to consume the drug.

When I used to use speed it was often powder, and as said above gooey shit. Sometimes it was mega potent some was crap. Used to be no shards. Now it's the other way around lol.

Pseudo speed is a good double entendre.. I think, therefore I'm a dumb cunt and probably wrong.

My guess would be speed made from pseudoephedrine or speed cut wit the same. I'm sure I've had meth cut wit pseudo before and its not nice :/

POLEDRIVER:
Yeah here everyone that used to sell gas (goopy meth, sometimes rocks, rarely smokable but I'd never smoke it again. It would have to me so soooo bad for you. It always took forever to recrystallize and is gone so quick) anyway all but one sell ice now. Its almost nonexistent due to low demands.

Pseudo speed means it is 'speed' that was made from pseudoephedrine,which would mean it is D meth rather than racemic meth. D meth is the type of meth that is generally considered more desirable and the form that can be made into 'ice'. 'Speed' is just a term that means the product does not come in shards and is usually lower purity.

Speed is just another name for amphetamine wether its cut to shit or pure.

drug_mentor, I was under the impression that virtually all methamphetamine was made from psuedoephedrine, hence being dextromethamphetamine. It's the simplest way to produce it, it would be more complex creating racemic methamphetamine (although large quantities of precursors may be easier to obtain).
I've generally known 'speed' to refer to amphetamine as opposed to methamphetamine, but producing amphetamine from psuedoephedrine is a waste of time and potential money, as well as being more complex.

From what I've read on here and elsewhere, Europe produces mainly "amphetamine", due to available precursors and even preference over there. Australia produces methamphetamine (you know the commercial on TV, "poloice are now testing for methamphetamines, including ice" instead of, of course, the hot coal variety?!) Anyway, there has been a lot of discussion on this on AUDD before, I don't know much about it, but my post above was an attmpt at a joke. Pseudo speed is as everyone has said, supposedly made from pseudoephedrine.

There are other amphetamines that do not use pseudo as the precursor (haven't you seen breaking bad?), even though it is fictional, and I read something about that being of a lesser quality to "pseudo-speed" (still makes me laugh and want to joke about my stash of pseudo-pot that I got from my herb garden). I don't know much about the stuff except it makes me type way too much bullshit.

'Speed' in Australia is not generally amphetamine, it is almost always methamphetamine. I am sure there are small batches of amphetamine that go around here and there but as far as the market goes it is totally dominated by meth.

Most 'speed' is pseudo speed but racemic speed does go around, or at least it used to when people were still taking speed... People would usually refer to this stuff as "ketone" gear. It is synthesised using P2P, I think you are right that this is a more involved process than making meth from pseudo, and it also results in a less desirable product, but if a crook can get a hold of P2P and not pseudo at that point in time they are still going to go to the trouble of making it because regardless it is still hugely profitable.

I will say that years ago there was a time that many in my circle of friends were regular users of speed but refused to go near ice, there was a period where a lot of people started to shift to ice but there was still a reasonable amount of stubborn speed users who held out on making the switch. Looking back, it seemed to me around this time that "ketone" speed became a bit more common. If I had to speculate, I would guess that when speed was more popular than ice a lot of pseudo that made it into the country was still being used to make speed, as the market for ice has increased more and more pseudo is being used for ice production which would in turn leave less for making speed. If this were to happen then it does make sense around that time racemic or "ketone" meth would start to make up a larger percentage of the market for speed.

Last edited:
People would usually refer to this stuff as "ketone" gear.
And just to clarify, it's my understanding that this was straight 'amphetamine', and that the avail of P2P is the main reason why this was used more than Methamphetamine in the US. More euphoric for me than Methamphetamine and I haven't had any or been able to source it for many, many years.

Of course I love a bit of louey but I've been having an incredibly hard time finding 'normal' speed base or otherwise. For months all I've been offered is 'ice' and I hate it. If I use it I fly up for a day, then get the worst suicidal thoughts and can't move for three or more days on end. I've never even come close to that, even when IV-ing. When I'm lucky enough to come across the real deal I stock up. You can keep your ice :p

^ You had it wrong, to clarify, making methamphetamine with pseudoephedrine results in meth that is purely dextrorotary isomer, which is generally considered to be superior and more euphoric. Making methamphetamine with P2P will result in meth known as racemic methamphetamine, which is a 50/50 mix of dextrorotary and levorotary meth. As I mentioned before, dextro meth is generally considered to be the most desirable isomer, in fact I don't believe pure levorotary isomer meth is generally considered to be recreational, for this reason D meth is generally preferred over racemic/ketone/P2P made meth.

I would be surprised to hear there was a major market for illicitly manufactured amphetamine in the US, I think the form of amphetamine that is popular is mainly diverted pharmaceuticals like Adderal. If there wasn't huge parts of the US where the stigma for using meth is huge (like pretty much the entire East Coast, for example) then I think pharms like Adderal would be less popular over there than they are.

^ You had it wrong, to clarify, making methamphetamine with pseudoephedrine results in meth that is purely dextrorotary isomer, which is generally considered to be superior and more euphoric.

Fair enough. At a personal level I still find amphetamine more euphoric than meth. For example, I most definitely find methylphenidate and ethylphenidate euphoric in a way meth isn't (it's just pure stimulation to me).

Maybe it's amphetamine mixed with dimethylamylamine.

Could almost be absolutely anything, there are a number of compounds that are used as addition to the composition of meth from the synthesis through to the street obviously.

I was looking into popular compounds and the such used for cutters with amphetamines in general and it seems there were atleast 4 or 5 mainly used alternatives for d-meth then it would seem as the difference between what we have known to become and what used to be speed in Aus from the 70's or so onwards to now to be different cutting alternatives probably based around the difference in synthesis.

Last edited:
Fair enough. At a personal level I still find amphetamine more euphoric than meth. For example, I most definitely find methylphenidate and ethylphenidate euphoric in a way meth isn't (it's just pure stimulation to me).

You get that neither methylphenidate or ethylphenidate are amphetamines, right?

Dexamphetamine is the dextro isomer of amphetamine I believe, although I think that most illicitly manufactured amphetamine is racemic. If you haven't used dexamphetamine and are basing your preference of amphetamine over methamphetamine on using street speed in Australia and/or methylphenidate the odds are that you have never had amphetamine, not knowingly any way.

I never found dexies to be anywhere near as enjoyable as meth personally, I also found amphetamine sulphlate in Europe to be less enjoyable than meth. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Reading between the lines, by the original post saying "old school speed is hard to come by now that this ice crap has taken over", it sounds like the provider was trying to distinguish what they were selling as amphetamine, as opposed to methamphetamine.

As for which provides better euphoria, I would think that the purity of the drug would have greater affect than which particular compound it was (i.e. pure amphetamine > adulterated methamphetamine and vice-versa). I am aware of at least one study which showed amphetamine addicts were unable to distinguish between intravenous caffeine and their DOC, so... it's kinda a moot point.

The one time I had amphetamine, it was described as "commercial speed" and was "buzzier" than methamphetamine when taken intravenously, along obviously meth would have greater longevity.

As at least one other poster intimated, "pseudo speed" is a bit of a misnomer/oxymoron.

It's shake n bake. Boot of the car manufacturing at it's finest. Add some MSM to reduce the glug caused by the new formula pseudoephedrine binders and you have over/under and some reacted meth with a pile of MSM or similar as cut. Enjoy!