View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Prozac withdraw and microdosing mushrooms

colton tyler 420

Greenlighter
I stopped taking my 80mg of Prozac around Halloween so I could pursue microdosing shrooms for my extreme depression without the danger of serotonin syndrome however my withdraw symptoms made me miserable so around mid November I started taking only 40 mg instead of 80 and I haven't taken the 40 mg since thanksgiving and i was wondering if it is safe for me to start my microdosing
any and all feedback is greatly appriciated

Yeah you will be alright the shrooms should be effective now that the prozac is out of your system i would also add shrooms main anti depression action is seen at strong doses where the subject has a spiritual mystical experience e.g 4-5 grams dried of cubenesis

Prozac is a devil drug but SS wasn't gonna happen with shrooms. They aren't releasers, simply agonists of your serotonin receptors. The prozac is a serotonin blocker so essentially they'd just cancel out in your brain.

SS becomes a danger when multiple SSRIs are mixed OR an SSRI is taken with a releaser such as MDMA.

I stopped taking my 80mg of Prozac around Halloween so I could pursue microdosing shrooms for my extreme depression without the danger of serotonin syndrome however my withdraw symptoms made me miserable so around mid November I started taking only 40 mg instead of 80 and I haven't taken the 40 mg since thanksgiving and i was wondering if it is safe for me to start my microdosing
any and all feedback is greatly appriciated
Ughhh. been on them all. the worst was the effexor. But, yeah you should be good to go with the mushrooms.

Prozac does have a long half-life (mainly due to a metabolite, norfluoxetine) especially when taken chronically. I had to wait over a month from 80 mg fluoxetine before I started tranylcypromine, an MAOI. Non-releasing agents aren't the same, so the above posters have noted.

Be safe. Hope it is beneficial!

Last edited:
That was a VERY bad idea. Mushrooms do not treat depression. You have to come off SSRI's very slowly or you can (and it can take a few months) suddenly slip into a depression that's worse than before you started the medication. Suicide is a real possibility.
I'd start back up on it and sort out a slow taper with your doctor. I was (mistakenly, without me knowing, in hospital) taken off my Zoloft once and within 6 days I was suicidal and having panic attacks.

That was a VERY bad idea. Mushrooms do not treat depression. You have to come off SSRI's very slowly or you can (and it can take a few months) suddenly slip into a depression that's worse than before you started the medication. Suicide is a real possibility.
I'd start back up on it and sort out a slow taper with your doctor. I was (mistakenly, without me knowing, in hospital) taken off my Zoloft once and within 6 days I was suicidal and having panic attacks.
mushrooms do treat depression though thats why they are fda breakthrough status. 5 grams dried will cure major depression and greatly reduce it.

mushrooms do treat depression though thats why they are fda breakthrough status. 5 grams dried will cure major depression and greatly reduce it.

EVERY drug greatly reduces depression, though. You're not "cured", you're high. Although I guess could say the same about SSRI's.

EVERY drug greatly reduces depression, though. You're not "cured", you're high. Although I guess could say the same about SSRI's.
you never done shrooms stop spreading false info about psychedelics everywhere. Its literally been confirmed in every study done a one time trip on 5 grams dried will cure depression even a year later. SSRIS are not a cure and instead make you a zombie slave. Stop posting in this psychedelic forum with your false agendas

you never done shrooms stop spreading false info about psychedelics everywhere. Its literally been confirmed in every study done a one time trip on 5 grams dried will cure depression even a year later. SSRIS are not a cure and instead make you a zombie slave. Stop posting in this psychedelic forum with your false agendas

Actually I HAVE been 90% cured by an SSRI and have no side-effects. Definitely not this zombie effect some people get. And this is after 10 years and it still works.

The second you accused me of having an "agenda" everything you said lost all credibility.

EVERY drug greatly reduces depression, though.

This is completely false. You cannot make a blanket statement like that. There are thousands of different drugs with different effects and different influence on depression. Some positive, some neutral and some negative. Some short term, some long term, some dose dependant some not etc.

You're not "cured", you're high. Although I guess could say the same about SSRI's.

The studies showed significant reduction in depressive symptoms months after a single dose. I doubt they were still " High " after six months when the half life of psylocybin is a few hours.

Mushrooms can only affect you in a positive way if you are in a healthy mindstate already. Taking them when you have even the slightest bit of depression is most likely to result in a bad trip and possibly even make your depression worse with no benefits gained. It alters the mind by strengthening what is already in there. The insight can be usefull to cure depression but you must be really carefull that you do not accelerate any negative mental aspects in the process. I'd never use mushrooms if I don't feel well. I've been on prozac for anxiety but had no benefit whatsoever. Never noticed any withdrawl. Someone once told me that psychedelics are exactly that what is in your mind. If your mind is a beautiful garden, you'll be in it. IIf your mind is a trashcan, you'll be in it. Please consider what I tell you before dosing anything.

This is completely false. You cannot make a blanket statement like that. There are thousands of different drugs with different effects and different influence on depression. Some positive, some neutral and some negative. Some short term, some long term, some dose dependant some not etc.

The studies showed significant reduction in depressive symptoms months after a single dose. I doubt they were still " High " after six months when the half life of psylocybin is a few hours.

Obviously I was exaggerating, but opioids, benzo's, amphetamines, cocaine, barbiturates, MDMA...generally (while you're on them) most drugs DO make you feel better. Amphetamines are a miracle cure for Major Depressive Disorder is an extremely high percentage of people...but they cause psychosis (I had a VERY similar experience to Sara Goldfarb in that respect) and cardiac problems.

That's actually really interesting! They're saying this about a lot of drugs lately (Ketamine and LSD come to mind). I would try shrooms if that is true except I'd probably hate the actual high from them. Would 5g make you full-on hallucinate?

Amphetamines seem horrible to me for curing depression. You feel outright like shit when you come down. Even more depressed than were you started. 5g seems a bit high if you are only looking to use them for hallucinations. If you are going to use such a high dosage you should have other intentions with them. Just wanting to blatantly see stuff is in a way disrespecting the power of the substance. I don't know how experienced you are but starting low to familiarize yourself with the experience is key to a succesful trip. You can always build up your dosage later on. Patience is a beautiful thing and time is here forever.

Mushrooms can only affect you in a positive way if you are in a healthy mindstate already. Taking them when you have even the slightest bit of depression is most likely to result in a bad trip and possibly even make your depression worse with no benefits gained. It alters the mind by strengthening what is already in there. The insight can be usefull to cure depression but you must be really carefull that you do not accelerate any negative mental aspects in the process. I'd never use mushrooms if I don't feel well. I've been on prozac for anxiety but had no benefit whatsoever. Never noticed any withdrawl. Someone once told me that psychedelics are exactly that what is in your mind. If your mind is a beautiful garden, you'll be in it. IIf your mind is a trashcan, you'll be in it. Please consider what I tell you before dosing anything.
this is not true. I use psychedelics when im feeling quite low and the trips are amazing and give me a will to live. Shrooms will balance out the brain.

That's actually really interesting! They're saying this about a lot of drugs lately (Ketamine and LSD come to mind). I would try shrooms if that is true except I'd probably hate the actual high from them. Would 5g make you full-on hallucinate?
I gather you've never tripped? Hallucinations is a misnomer. The experience of 5g mushies would be something words can't describe. It would be an intense, no bars held, exploration of your inner self.

There's a difference between "feeling quite low" and completely suicidal : /
My first trip ever was on a heavy heavy dose of acid and i was completely suicidal it ended up been the best night of my entire life i have a trip report on it. Suicidal people should take psychedelics they in my experince and what i have seen are the number 1 anti suicidal thing on this planet

I wouldn't reccomend it in such case. Too much risk involved. And I've lost count on how many bad trips I've had. But look, a train of thought can always flow in so many ways. Trying to absolutely predict what will happen is never 100% a certain thing.