Prozac and Ecstasy-how can I help a friend to roll better

BuzzBoy

Bluelighter
Hi all my friends at Bluelight! Now, here's a question I hope someone can answer. I have a good friend who has recently decided to try E, and has done so on two occasions so far. However, each time he has tried it he has barely felt anything-only a mild speedy effect, and not the loved up happy feeling we all love so much (I must add that we are all taking the same pills and we find them very strong). The reason for this is (I think) that he is taking Prozac. Now, this New Year's Eve we are planning a major party where everyone is going to be loved up to the max and I obviously want my friend to be to. The question is, and I'm sorry to ramble, what can my friend do to increase the effects of the E? Should he avoid taking his Prozac that day, should he try preloading etc??? Any info would be really useful, as I really want him to have a great time. Thanks for your help. PLUR
Buzzboy

I'm not positive on this but I believe that Prozac would be the best to pre-load with. after all it is an anti-depressant and builds seritonin levels like 5-htp. I'm not real sure of this but i was kinka wondering the same thing because my best friend is on paxil and i want her to roll with me on new years and i want to make sure it's good.

Well, if I was giving any advice to your freind it would be not to roll at all, period until their life was stable enough where they don't need prozac at all...which may be never if they are clinically depressed. E works on the same brain chemicals responsible for mood and depression so if they are already outta whack then the E isn't going to put the person off in a better position.
I would think prozac counters the effects of E. If they still plan on rolling I would say they need to be off of prozac for at least a month because it takes that long for prozac to build up and have an effect. Taking prozac after a roll though would be a very good thing.
A thing that I learned from my first roll happened when I hit my down for about 15 minutes during my roll. During that time I talked myself out of it by realizing depression is just brain chemicals and that I have the power to choose happy any time I wanted irregardless of how my fucking brain chemistry happens to be at the moment. That was a very powerful lesson and now I choose happy everyday of my life. Depression... buh bye!...nice knowin' ya, but you don't rule my life any longer!!!
smile.gif

I believe you friend is SOL (shit-outta-luck) in regard to getting that beautiful loved up feeling from E for NYE. (due to the fact mechanism that prozac uses to increase seratonin levels also stops E from being effective. and one of the clinical benifits of prozac is that it remains in the system for a very long time, ie too late to stop now...)
And i'd have to agree that if your friend needs to be taking prozac, maybe he shouldn't be taking self-administered psychoactive drugs. If he can get to a point in his life where he feels balanced enough without his prescriptions, then maybe try E. Of course if he get's to a point of true balance without any drugs whatsoever... then get him to write a book, cause there be alot of people who could benifit from it...
much love
DC

i'm going to have to agree with pjhuck. Prozac is prescribed for a disease called depression. This disease is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. the reason you feel cracked out the day after rolling is you have the same sort of chemical imbalance. Depressed people feel cracked out every day. it's just a bad idea for a person with depression to roll.
hope i could help
plur
k

The reason Prozac stops a roll is because it occupies the same receptor in the brain that the MDMA needs to use to start off the roll. This is why you should stop it in advance.
Prozac has a half-life of ~18-30 hours, so stopping about 5 days before will be fine. They should start up with the Prozac about 4-5 hours after they drop the E. Take a dose of around 30mg at 4 hours post ingestion and then continue on as normal from there. This will help to protect against the normal neurotoxic effects and also get them back on the road to a stable serotonin balance. Also recomment post loading with 5-HTP to help with serotonin replacement after the roll.
If your friend was on the Prozac because of life threatening depression (suicidal etc...) they should really think twice about messing with their seratonin.... But I suppose people will do what they will do....
Have a great New Year.

Let me make this straight up, Dont take prozac at all before your roll, You will not roll, Dont take any SSRI's like this and Paxil, Zoloft. You will not roll, especially if you have taken it several times. DO TAKE prozac withing 6 hours of your roll, Best is at the peak 10 to 20mg. This stops virutually all brain damage. Its the only proven thing. And dont take that DLPA or LTirosine, Cant remember which it is, This has been shown to cause neurotoxicity somehow related to dopamine. Prozac is the next day miracle drugs for rolling, and 20 hours after you take it, NEVER FAILS< you get in the most vidacious mood. I luve purcaps out of san fran, they fucking rule!!

Brisgirl is right. It was probably prozac that messed up the roll, and 5 days off prozac is enough time to allow for a good roll again. The best thing would be to resume the Prozac right after you come down, I think.
I'm not so sure about what people said about the depression thing. I have depression myself and roll occasionally. I don't have the feeling that it makes my situation worse; ofcourse you always have the downer, but it's manageable. You know that it's the E that makes you feel bad, and that the thoughts you have to face in the days aferwards are just a result of the E 'using up your serotonin'. I also don't think using an 'escape' is bad. It can be a good reassurance to feel that you *are* capable of letting things go, even for a short time. It can give hope, at least it gave me hope, and for me, it helped a great deal in bonding with my friends. One of the things in life I [allow myself to] value most.
Most psychedelics can give you a very bad trip if you're depressed, but for me [and others I know], it always creates a pleasurable experience in the right setting. Good building blocks. Not a bad thing for my depression, I think.
skydancer
------------------
[email protected]
http://www.skydancer.org/
"Can't say I'm lucky enough to know what love is" -- e_rep

DO NOT TAKE 5-HTP WITH PROZAC FOR YOUR POST-LOAD. THE TWO TOGETHER CAN CAUSE SEROTONIN SYNDROME (WHICH CAN BE LETHAL).
also, i'm not sure that stopping prozac only five days before rolling will give it enough time to clear out of your friend's system. i know that prozac has a half-life of about 30 hrs, but if you're friend has been taking it for a while this might increase (i think?). i'll do some research to try to find an answer for you.
two useful sites are www.harmreduction.net/dancesafe (check out the slideshow in particular) and www.rxlist.com (this site has tons of info about prescription meds).

well, i found the info about the half life of prozac. here is what they say (i cut out the less understandable stuff, so if you want more details you'll have to go to the site): [by the way, fluoxetine is the name for prozac and norfluoxetine is a fluoxetine metabollite]
"The long elimination half- lives of fluoxetine and norfluoxetine assure that, even when dosing is stopped, active drug substance will persist in the body for weeks (primarily depending on individual patient characteristics, previous dosing regimen, and length of previous therapy at discontinuation). This is of potential consequence when drug discontinuation is required or when drugs are prescribed that might interact with fluoxetine and norfluoxetine following the discontinuation of Prozac."
hope this helps
smile.gif