• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Prozac and Cocaine

Are you asking if prozac and cocaine would somehow be a pleasurable combination or if you can use cocaine while prescribed to prozac? Be clear when you ask a question. If it is the former, well, you're out of luck because prozac has no recreational value and won't interact with cocaine in any meaningful way. If you mean the latter, you should be just fine. As you probably already know, prozac and other SSRIs effectively kill your ability to roll. They won't have any effect on coke, though. Completely different drug actions. Standard disclaimer...be careful with cocaine. Some people can use resposibly, some can't. Your mileage may vary.
------------------
Death. Inevitable. If death was inevitable, what was left? Style. Only style.

Prozac and other SSRIs increase the neurotoxicity associated with cocaine use (via the 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors)

i was on prozac (40 mg/night) when i did coke...and i was fine. didn't seem like they affected each other noticeably.
------------------
"I could not/Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither/Living nor dead, and I knew nothing" - T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

"Prozac and other SSRIs increase the neurotoxicity associated with cocaine use (via the 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors)"
doesn't sound too reassuring...I've done this several times...Do you have any studies backing it up? And to what extent is the neurotoxicity increased?

Thanks for the response.
Apologies for question being a little vauge. To clarify, person is on a course of Prozac, any health dangers related to this person doing coke as well.? Aside from the usual of course. ;-) Some links to articles and studies would be very handy.
Not that I dont trust the people at bluelight of course. Would just like to read hard scientific fact.
[This message has been edited by Pink-UK (edited 01 May 2001).]

This question was asked in Medical a few weeks ago - and the general consensus was that there are no contraindications. NYTFLY, who usually knows his stuff, told us this, but if you have some better info, please tell us. No need to fuck up our minds.

Prozac and other SSRIs increase the neurotoxicity associated with cocaine use (via the 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors)
I *have* heard this before. However, everything I've read and from people I've talked to suggests that the increase is not so severe that it is considered a risk.
The reason *I* suggested this person not do it, is because I am assuming he is prescribed Prozac for some sort of serious depression.
I do not have any links to back this statement up, but I do have several brochures on Prozac, as well as 3 medical books, and two prescription drug books that back my statement up 100%. I do not talk out of my ass, I have no reason to.
smile.gif

Cocaine will decrease the effectiveness of Prozac. I'm sure there are many studies and articles online that say the same thing.
smile.gif
I just don't care enough to look for them. heh.
So my point in discouraging this...I don't want the poster of this message to do a few lines of blow, and get seriously depressed, and decide that life isn't worth living.
Granted this is probably an extreme case, but to cover my own ass, I suggested he/she not do this.
If you don't beleive what I'm saying, look it up yourself.
smile.gif
Or go get some prescription drug books from the store. They're fairly cheap, and they're handy!

Fair enough - sounds like reasonable arguments. You are absolute correct in saying that depression/anxiety will be worsened by drug use.
However, I would still like to know why DJmm said that there is increased neurotoxicity when combining coke and SSRIs - it seemed to me that he simply cited the neurons that were affected by both cocaine and SSRI's. Am I wrong, DJ?

Note:
Personally I am not on Prozac but am on coke ;-).
However I know people who are on Prozac and wanted some facts to give them if they were tempted to try coke out.
Thanks to all for your posts!