• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prozac and Alcohol

787heavy

Greenlighter
I have recently been prescribed Prozac for treating anxiety. It says to avoid alcohol, but I know that's generally just a precautionary statement.
My question is, if I drink moderate amounts of alcohol with it, like 1-2 pints per day (or less), should I really expect any problems? Can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

TIA :D

Some SSRIs can make you a bit sedated and alcohol will add to that effect, so the combo can potentially impair you while doing things. I think that's the main reason for the precaution. I would take the Prozac for a few days without alcohol and as long as it's not making you drowsy then moderate amounts of alcohol shouldn't be a problem.

I took Prozac for 20 years and up until recently when I switched to Lexapro EVERY SINGLE TIME I EVER had any alcohol I was on Prozac.

I never noticed an issue.

That said, that doesn't mean there CAN'T be one, but in my experience USUALLY SSRIs are relatively safe to drink on and the warnings probably have more to do with some kind of assumption that the anti depressants MIGHT be less effective when you drink which I also never experienced.

You also MIGHT get more drowsy, but really I don't think you are likely to have problems.

Thanks for the responses guys. If I were to experience any problems, any idea what to look for?

i was on prozac myself for 6 months during the beginning i didnt drink but after i was stable i drank randomly other than drinking less to feel buzzed and the hangovers in the morning even drinking under 4 beers was horrendous YMMV but in general start off drinking small and see how you do

the main thing i exp was sedation nothing crazy while drinking

it can make you go back to square one before starting the prozac meaning its like you never took it, if you drink more than a few times a week
it could intensify the anxiety or depression also

IMO i would only drink during social events not an everyday thing
and yes they have to put that alcohol can cause issues hell i dont think there is med that doesnt have that warning label