• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Prosocial and Less Neurotoxic MDMA Alternatives?

I'm a fan of methylone. It certainly feels harder on the heart but it also seems to take much less impact on my mood and anxiety, and cognitive functioning after dosing. I realise that's no substitute for proper research on how neurotoxic it is compared to MDMA, but thought I'd throw my experience out there. One quite good theory I've read on why MDMA causes negative after-effects in people is that it is metabolised into some quite neurotoxic amphetamine derivatives but is not itself neurotoxic. Another empathogen with a different structure like methylone or mephedrone may not have this problem. Regardless of the lack of formal scientific studies though, I think there's certainly enough anecdotal evidence to believe that frequent MDMA dosing is not the healthiest thing for your mind. I mean can you guys not tell that just by taking it? It certainly doesn't feel like it's leaving your body in the same state it was in prior to consumption.

^Right, I still feel like long term comedowns and other adverse effects could occur with more selective serotonin releasing agents - neurotoxicity is probably not the real concern. I don't know if this would occur with oxytocin.

I'm a fan of methylone. It certainly feels harder on the heart but it also seems to take much less impact on my mood and anxiety, and cognitive functioning after dosing. I realise that's no substitute for proper research on how neurotoxic it is compared to MDMA, but thought I'd throw my experience out there.

then i'll have to relate my experience with methylone. a single dose gives me a nice high for 2 hours, but also gives me tachycardia, chest pains, a little anxiety and bad depression for more than a week. especially the physical after effects were pretty scary. i have never taken a drug that felt as toxic as methylone (well the one time i got sold mephedrone instead of speed it felt similarly toxic, but the aftereffects lasted only one day and not a whole week).
on the other hand i have never had any physical issues nor any depression (nor any difficulties with cognitive functioning) after taking mdma. typically i'd just be a little tired the next day (as is expected when you're dancing a lot and go to bed late) and that's it.
people react differently to different drugs and anecdotes or your own experience are not a good indication for toxicity.

Lately I have been thinking amphetamine type drugs could be used in conjunction with MDMA, not at the same time but I mean you could take MDMA and then two weeks later instead of more MDMA, take adderall or something to get a similar pro social effect but with less potential for visual and mental disturbances.

I know the amphetamines have a bad rep because of their addiction potential, but what I mean is they would have to be treated with the same respect as MDMA and used with a therapeutic intention. In my experience they can actually give a clearer headspace than MDMA. Obviously they lack the psychedelic aspect of MDMA, so I am not suggesting them as a replacement but something to use in addition to MDMA so that you would need to take MDMA less frequently. They can also be used at lower doses more frequently.

I don't find MDMA all that useful for socializing because the effects wear off so quick, the come down is so bad and it can't be used frequently. I think it would be great to take with someone youre already close with, by my problem is meeting and forming relationships to begin with. When I take MDMA I try to meditate of the nature of my relationship problems but the problems always seem to return after it wears off. Maybe it would work better if I had a therapist helping me.

Oxytocin is interesting. As I recall it was investigated for social benefits, especially trust and empathy.

It could be that MDMA is mediating some effects via oxytocin.

I almost entered an oxytocin drug study, they billed it as being mdma-like.

I read some info and decided not to go through.

Hash and kombucha man. Transform the way you socialize, it doesn't need to be through that fucked up drug or anything remotely like it. Although, if that's what you like... I never understood stimulants because they are so hard on the body.