• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Propranolol and Cocaine

caden_g59

Greenlighter
Me and my girlfriend picked up some real good coke last night. We are going to a $uicideboy$ show tonight and wanna get fucked up beforehand. I am prescribed 20mg of propranolol and I take it in the morning before school. I took it at 6:30 this morning. We plan on doing coke probably around 3-4, then maybe again at like 6 before the concert. Would this be safe for me to take? Also, would the effects of the coke be hindered at all even though the propranolol wore off a while ago? Thank you. Also this is the first time either of us have done coke.

No, you're Propranolol shouldn't have a meaningful impact on the Cocaine that you're going to take. Even with accumulation, like through taking the drug every day, it probably wouldn't have a major impact on the Cocaine and in truth, I doubt that taking the two in conjunction would be a bad experience and I'm not aware of any dangerous interactions between the two. My point is that Cocaine is known for the cardiovascular stress that it can cause and Propranolol is a drug commonly used to treat symptoms like Hypertension and Anxiety.

It could potentially help with the over-stimulation that Cocaine sometimes causes or if not as a potentially effective mild sedative for when the night is over and you wish to get some sleep. For those who aren't aware and who are reading this, Propranolol is pretty similar IME to Clonidine (Catapres) in effect and I know that they're prescribed for similar indications. Anyway, you should have nothing to worry about man.

What do you take propranolol for? Cocaine might be a bad very bad stim for you to take.

Beta blockers like propranolol can be extremely dangerous to take with cocaine as well as other stimulants. In almost every medical school, they teach you to never administer beta blockers for treating stimulant overdose because it can cause a paradoxical worsening of high heart rate and increased blood pressure. It's called unopposed alpha stimulation, because alpha receptors regulate vasoconstriction while beta receptors have an opposing effect.

You'll probably be fine, and unopposed alpha stimulation is a bit controversial because there are very few cases in which it's actually occurred. However, there have been instances where aeortas quite literally exploded after adminstration of a beta blocker to treat stimulate overdose. It's definitely best to just avoid this combo.

Hey Caden:

You may be fine taking Propranolol with cocaine. It sounds like you are fairly young. Pay strict attention to your heart when you are doing a heart-jumper fun-lover like cocaine. If you are careful, you and your girl can have a blast doing coke. I wouldn't shoot it like I did when I was young. Everything in moderation! (You know what? Coke can be as harmful as heroin.)

Have fun. Mikie
;)

Sorry, I didn't consider the obvious fact that the OP might be taking Propranolol for some kind of heart issue that might contraindicate Cocaine use. Do you?