Proposal for refined open mod selection process

I think this is a good idea. I read through a few of the replies and understand some of the concerns, but if the applicant has the option of keeping his/her ap. private, it should work fine....but what do I know?:\

I for one, would like to see who applied for the OD mod position;)

I'm glad to see that this thread is still stimulating discussion!

samadhi said:
As for running it by the entire mod/smod staff, well, i can see merit in the argument that they may be privy to info regarding trollish or at least annoying behaviour in other forums, but i think that could be remedied by researching the applicants past posts and threads in all forums? Also, each forum is run differently and what may be ok in one forum may not be ok in another forum... ergo, the contribution of a member in one forum doesn't necessarily make them mod material in the forum they're applying in?

It's immensely time-consuming to go through the entire posting history of all candidates, especially if they've been prolific contributors to the board. Ideally, this is what should be done, but practically it's sometimes not feasible. I tried to do this during the initial phases of the BDD mod selection, and then realized that I was skimming through the posts without paying enough attention to them. Also, running the applicant by the staff allows the disclosure of problematic behavior in more private mediums of communication, e.g. PM, instant messaging, e-mail, etc. Moreover, if other staff members have developed an off-the-board rapport with an applicant, then they can provide useful additional input about that individual's personality, knowledge base, and other qualifications.

samadhi said:
The problem I see with the open process is that by opening it up like this, we're making ourselves more "accountable" (for lack of a better word) to our members. That's all well and good, but how do you tackle a situation such as if 8 members openly apply by posting in a mod-application thread, but 2 or 3 members chose not to. Members engage in discussion regarding the applications in the thread, however, the outcome is that one of the private applications is the best and that member is appointed. Then there may be public outcry from the members regarding appointing a person not discussed in the thread... they may ask what the point is in opening it up to public discussion when we're just going to chose someone privately anyway?

All of these issues were brought up in the thread already, and I saw their merit and decided that it would indeed be too problematic to make the application process transparent to the entire BL user base. That is why, in the end, only other staff were able to comment on the applicants for BDD modship.

I feel like a tool now :\ It's time you all knew... one of the Aus Mods can't read properly to save her life. =D

I think we'll just follow the past application process for our new modspot. As the saying goes: "If it aint broke, don't fix it." :)

Still - this serves for people to keep an awareness (mods and members alike), and it proves there is thought behind how things are done, while leaving the opportunity for improvements. :) Always accepting status quo without question will lead to overlooked opportunities.