• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Propensity for addiction

H>He

Bluelighter
i first tried heroin in a joint [a bomb] from a friend who came back from vietnam..years later i dated a girl who ws into it and did it when it was super potent in my area in the late 90's ..i did a test..i did it for one day no symptoms… i waited 3 days then did it 2 days in a row …no symptoms when i stopped.. then i waited and did it 3 days in a row ..i got achy bones and runny nose etc.. so i figured hey one or twice a month do it for 2 days and stop…did that fo a few years as well as dilaudid [usually 8-12 mg], oxy [would snort 2 80's and hype it with alcohol] or methadone.. been 1/2 year haven't done any nor want to..people who did it andwere on the get high for 1/2 a year ..suboxone ..get high again merry go round were kinda flummoxed that i never became addicted.. on the other hand i started free basing in the late 1970's using sodium hydroxide and ether wash and had to clean up in a rehab and had dreams of smoking coke for almost a year after stopped ..did some after a decade a few months ago and liked it for the night but never did it again.. what are the markers or people who get addicted and does age have an effect on the propensity to be more additive in youth?

I wouldn't say age has that much to do with it necessarily. I would venture a reasonable guess that most folks who have an addictive personality are probably aware of it. As far as recognizing traits of such an issue you'll need to look closely at some of your life choices. Do you have trouble saying no to another drink when you know you've had enough? Basically I'd say it's liking things too much even in light of possible negative consequences for such choices. I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Most people in our society are addicted to the same thing. We are all under the influence of our ego and ego being ignorant of a higher reality of existence is blinded by the physical world, so it looks for means to satisfy its craving for happiness, contentment, excitement, security, affection, social validation in a world of finite and impermanent. Most people are living by the dictations of their ego and each person finds those qualities in different, personal ways. Drug users just tend to find them in drugs, and no wonder because drugs provide the quickest, consistent and efficient way of satisfying your mind's craving. Now, whats the difference between a non user and a user? Simply most people have been taught to fear drugs from the early stages of their life, they have been fed with stigma and manipulated by the media into developing a negative mindset towards drugs. So I always say that if you had the balls and curiosity to try drugs, then some fundamental awakening started to happen within you, you started to develop an interest in finding out more about the world, more about yourself, its a quality which you should treasure. Drug addiction is nothing else other than a path to self knowledge, a way to free your consciousness from rigid thinking that was put there by the fear inducing society. You can pull yourself through it and come out a new person with a higher sense of self and a higher sense of purpose. I was a really bad addict, I started injecting when I was 18, I did a lot of damage to myself and I struggled with a lot of drugs. Then I started noticing those subtle contemplation moments when I was coming down off amphetamines, and at first they were all about regretting getting high. They I started feeling more confident in my drug use as I gained more insight into myself. Now I take drugs by choice, I experience no craving or the need to escape, to change the state of my mind. I use amphetamines most regularly but I had days when I used heroin and left it for months without a second thought. I use drugs now to enhance my natural experience rather than chase a high.

when i do drink i tend to binge.. i drank a quart of 190 proof on friday night..i don't get spins hangovers or puke so i don't pay..plus somehow my liver function and blood work is perfect plus i somked a joint and did 2 clonopin..when i got up o had a bottle of wine

Last edited:
I wouldn't say age has that much to do with it necessarily. I would venture a reasonable guess that most folks who have an addictive personality are probably aware of it. As far as recognizing traits of such an issue you'll need to look closely at some of your life choices. Do you have trouble saying no to another drink when you know you've had enough? Basically I'd say it's liking things too much even in light of possible negative consequences for such choices. I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

I agree age has no bearing. Most people use (because they like drugs) to escape reality. That can be childhood trauma or trauma at any age. Because issues eat at a person until they do something to change that. Whether that be drugs or another addictive behaviour (working out hard for hours eg) or counselling. Most often people are not looking to become an addict they just want to try this or that and end up hooked because addiction is an insidious, sneaky thief of life.

This is a little esoteric for basic drug discussion, but I think it has some merit in terms of Harm Reduction, so we'll keep it open until someone says different. It works in our favor that addiction has been a fact of life for thousands of years. Alcohol has been used by man since the before recorded history. I am no scientist, but I can say with confidence that there are genetic mechanisms that contribute to the hereditary nature of addiction. It cannot just be coincidence that addiction runs in families generation after generation. There is obviously some kind of physiological mechanism behind a given person's propensity to misuse and become addicted to substances.

I'm not denying that people have a certain responsibility for their own decisions, but I, and apparently the medical community, believe that certain individuals are more prone to addiction than others. If you google the topic, you'll find some interesting research on the subject.

could you specify the route you administered the drug? there's a pretty big difference between a bomb and a join; bombs are the dose wrapped in paper or other dissolveable materials and then swallowed (just like taking a pill) and joints are like cigarettes and smoked.

the only reason i ask is because the ROA (route of administration) can make a big difference in the potential for addiction in users e.g.: injecting morphine makes it hit harder but also wear off faster, making it much more moreish/fiendish than taking morphine in pill form as it says on the instructions.