• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

PROMETHAZINE questions

deos68

Bluelighter
hey guys im back for another one
been having crazy allergies and other issues
as i always like to find out more from my fellow community
long story short i got this for allergies but the doc said it could help with anxiety and as a sleep aid when i dont wanna take a benzo
i got it i 25mg increments no codedine or anything else
doc said this is like benadryl but more potent
anyone have exp taking this ?

If you snort a melatonin aswell you will have a wet dream.
again how the fuck are you not banned for posting stupid shit [Mod Note: They are now.]
ps melatonin doesnt do shit for me and snorting it would be useless

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys im back for another one
been having crazy allergies and other issues
as i always like to find out more from my fellow community
long story short i got this for allergies but the doc said it could help with anxiety and as a sleep aid when i dont wanna take a benzo
i got it i 25mg increments no codedine or anything else
doc said this is like benadryl but more potent
anyone have exp taking this ?

I've taken promethazine many times over the past 10 years, for sleep induction and reduction of nausea, for which it can be very effective. I have misgivings though which I will share.

Its not going to replace a benzo, in terms of reducing your anxiety, but may have some benefit. I have used it for such, and it does 'work', to an extent. It just slows things down; it has antipsychotic properties (and can cause all the negative side effects associated with traditional, old-school antipsychotics) which may explain that, plus the sedation from the antihistamine aspect would contribute. Bear in mind, this aspect which effects dopamine can cause severe restlessness (akathasia), trembling, issues with swallowing, and difficulty talking/enunciating words; I've taken highish doses (in the past, to potentiate codeine and to reduce the itch associated) and have experienced stuttering and EXTREME mental confusion; literally, the inability to actually think, to say nothing of the inability to communicate. This is highly unpleasant, and has caused me pretty severe anxiety. That was at very high doses, from 150mg to 250mg, and the effect could last for several days. But I get similar twitching and trembling from prescribed doses now, so be wary.

Whilst it can help anxiety, its also a strong anticholinergic so a high dose can cause delerium and will cause dry mouth/sinus, dry eyes, decreased sweating (which can also manifest as sensations of heat/flushing), sense of derealisation/depersonalisation (which can cause anxiety) and dizziness/vertigo. It causes parathesia (pins and needles) which I associate with anxiety and benzo withdrawal, so that feeling often leads to a feedback cycle of physical anxiety.

It will help you sleep intially, though drowsiness can continue into the following day. I used to take it every night, 75mg for sleep, and did so for about 2 years. I decided to stop taking it, because it was giving me heart palpitations and confusion, and went through a sleepless period of 15 days (3 hrs maximum, extremely lucid dreams which was actually fucking awesome) and then several months of early waking, which I actually liked and so have continued. I have always been a poor sleeper, and this stuff really fucked with that for me. Its effective against mild nausea, but not 100%. The side effects can make the nausea preferable. :\

In summary, I think this drug can be used safely for medical reasons, but has a tremendous host of side effects, and is probably bad for you. It certainly causes sleep-dependance, and has detrimental effects on memory formation and learning. But, it has been helpful to me, and may be for you too. I would advise having no more then 25mg by day (if required) and maximum of 50mg for sleep, and I urge you NOT to take this often. It is safer then benzo's by far, but is by no means innocuous. It is a very powerful substance. It is also extremely unpleasant, and I would avoid it or use it sparingly.

I've taken promethazine many times over the past 10 years, for sleep induction and reduction of nausea, for which it can be very effective. I have misgivings though which I will share.

Its not going to replace a benzo, in terms of reducing your anxiety, but may have some benefit. I have used it for such, and it does 'work', to an extent. It just slows things down; it has antipsychotic properties (and can cause all the negative side effects associated with traditional, old-school antipsychotics) which may explain that, plus the sedation from the antihistamine aspect would contribute. Bear in mind, this aspect which effects dopamine can cause severe restlessness (akathasia), trembling, issues with swallowing, and difficulty talking/enunciating words; I've taken highish doses (in the past, to potentiate codeine and to reduce the itch associated) and have experienced stuttering and EXTREME mental confusion; literally, the inability to actually think, to say nothing of the inability to communicate. This is highly unpleasant, and has caused me pretty severe anxiety. That was at very high doses, from 150mg to 250mg, and the effect could last for several days. But I get similar twitching and trembling from prescribed doses now, so be wary.

Whilst it can help anxiety, its also a strong anticholinergic so a high dose can cause delerium and will cause dry mouth/sinus, dry eyes, decreased sweating (which can also manifest as sensations of heat/flushing), sense of derealisation/depersonalisation (which can cause anxiety) and dizziness/vertigo. It causes parathesia (pins and needles) which I associate with anxiety and benzo withdrawal, so that feeling often leads to a feedback cycle of physical anxiety.

It will help you sleep intially, though drowsiness can continue into the following day. I used to take it every night, 75mg for sleep, and did so for about 2 years. I decided to stop taking it, because it was giving me heart palpitations and confusion, and went through a sleepless period of 15 days (3 hrs maximum, extremely lucid dreams which was actually fucking awesome) and then several months of early waking, which I actually liked and so have continued. I have always been a poor sleeper, and this stuff really fucked with that for me. Its effective against mild nausea, but not 100%. The side effects can make the nausea preferable. :\

In summary, I think this drug can be used safely for medical reasons, but has a tremendous host of side effects, and is probably bad for you. It certainly causes sleep-dependance, and has detrimental effects on memory formation and learning. But, it has been helpful to me, and may be for you too. I would advise having no more then 25mg by day (if required) and maximum of 50mg for sleep, and I urge you NOT to take this often. It is safer then benzo's by far, but is by no means innocuous. It is a very powerful substance. It is also extremely unpleasant, and I would avoid it or use it sparingly.

well shit...thank you for the very informative response
see docs never give you this type of info just all the "great" benefits and never none of the bad shit that can happen
although i dont plan on taking more than 25mg i actually took some already it felt like a high dose of benadryl did help with anxiety and got me sleepy but felt dirty if that makes sense?
totally agree nothing close to a benzo
guess ill only take this when my allergies is going crazy works wonders for that

Nah man if you have normal allergies use clarityne or zyrtec (brand names, I cbf searching for the pharmaceutical name) if you wanna function normal throughout the day, promethazine (phenergan) would do if you wanna get some sort of sedative buzz of you're that kind of person, also it's great for sleep...

For me imo, promethazine has the least grogginess compared to doxylamine or benadryl and with promethazine I fine you over sleep compared to the other.

I only use Promethazine to boost the metabolic conversion of DHC into morphine despite having hellish sinus allergies. I take Diphenahydramine (Benadryl) for attacks but its sedation is a pain and Claritin doesnt work for me.

So you seem to know what you're talking about. Last Saturday night I made the stupid decision to pop 3 50 mg promethazine pills. I tried falling asleep and it felt like every 5 minutes I would be twitching myself awake and would do so the whole night and I was super uncomfortable. Im just curious what was going on in my body.

Some docs love giving this to opiate kickers instead of proper benzos like valium as a catch-all "sleep aid" like trazadone. Hell, trazadone is probably a better option. Promethazine, at least the few times I took it while jonesing to sleep, gave me the absolute worsts full-body restless reaction, which I hear happens to other people too. I'd actually be scared to try it again even in a bind.

hydroxyzine is a half decent first gen antihistamine
i was prescribed it for anxiety and insomnia
workedd for the anx
did fucckkkk all for the sleeplessness

hydroxyzine is a half decent first gen antihistamine
i was prescribed it for anxiety and insomnia
workedd for the anx
did fucckkkk all for the sleeplessness
Same but they gave me the hcl instead of the pamoate once and it didn't do shit lol