• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Probability of having a violent psychotic reaction on LSD?

Triphops

Greenlighter
I've always viewed LSD as one of the safest drugs out there because of it's low short and long term harm to the body and mind and it's very low potential for misuse. The only real harm that I see associated with the use of LSD is the potential harm the user has to himself or others while under the influence. Having taken LSD myself several times, I have a hard time picturing myself actually doing any harm while on it as a great part of me still feels sober, like my judgement (I don't think I would do anything on LSD that I wouldn't do when sober). The thing is that I've now actually heard of two different accounts from two different friends where someone has become completely mental on LSD, even to the point of becoming violent towards his/her own friends. These instances are so severe that it makes me think that this stuff is actually really dangerous, but everything I've read tells me that the probability for this happening is really really small. What is your take on this? Could they have been taking something else than LSD? Or aren't these violent episodes as rare as I've been made to believe?

I think it's pretty safe. You can never say something is totally safe for everyone because you don't know everyone else that deeply. Some people go out and slaughter their girlfriend when she leaves them - does that mean it's not safe for you to have a girlfriend? If you know yourself and are confident that you arn't batshit crazy then LSD is nothing to worry about.

What is your take on this? Could they have been taking something else than LSD? Or aren't these violent episodes as rare as I've been made to believe?

Impossible to say what they took, I have seen people get violent on LSD though. There is a trend these days to attribute every bad that happens to RCs, don't do that. Some people have a violent reaction, it's not a predictable drug. Pretty sure if someone hit me while I was tripping I would kick their ass. It's easy to get confused too, like you fully don't understand what people are saying. My friend started yelling at the Subway guy when he asked him what he wanted on his sub, thought the guy was telling him off, shit like that. The visual distortions also make your friends hard to identify, you friends can appear downright sinister. I see how it's possible. Anyway even if it is one trip in 500 or 5000 that goes like that, those are trips people talk about and remember, and in the end these stories contribute to LSD's over all negative image.

I once dropped acid with a guy who didn't tell me he had paranoid schizophrenia (I took 300mcg and he took 150). We were in his flat; it was his first time taking psychedelics and he ended up having a psychotic break right in front of me. After trying to calm him down for a bit, I lost my temper and stormed out. He really pissed me off. I haven't seen the dickhead since... last I heard, he ended up in a psychiatric ward.

If you're of sound mind, LSD is pretty safe. For your first time, I would recommend taking it on your own, on a day when you feel happy and don't have anything important to do.

I had a bad trip once...people were throwing knives at the wall while on LSD. They became obsessed with knives and became real wreckless. They were on 1 tab and I was on like 4. It was messed up, it really turned my world upside down. But like, I have no violent nature in me otherwise I probably would've grabbed that knife and threw it right back at them. It depends on the person. You're not gonna turn a mouse into a bear with a little LSD...but you may awake a sleeping giant.

Pretty sure if someone hit me while I was tripping I would kick their ass.

So would most people, that doesn't have anything to do with LSD though. Unless LSD makes you start some shit and provoke people to violence, or something

I think odds of a psychotic reaction were found to be something like 1 in 1000 or less, not entirely sure if I remember that correctly. But instead of checking out the probabilities I would check out factors that especially are like tempting fate. Set & setting, reckless dosing / combining etc, and family history of mental health problems, things like that.

If you're going into a trip scared you'll probably have a bad experience (it's a bad "set.")

All down to the person tho, a lot of people make the mistake of thinking "Because this has happened once to somebody else it could happen to me tomorrow". That isn't how it works. If you arn't susceptible to losing your shit then you simply arn't going to lose it.

Pretty sure if someone hit me while I was tripping I would kick their ass.
I really hope nobody ever starts a fight with me when I'm on LSD or 2C-E. Not trying to sound tough but I would probably do something heinous. I've gotten angry while tripping before and I felt downright evil.

I've always viewed LSD as one of the safest drugs out there because of it's low short and long term harm to the body and mind and it's very low potential for misuse. The only real harm that I see associated with the use of LSD is the potential harm the user has to himself or others while under the influence. Having taken LSD myself several times, I have a hard time picturing myself actually doing any harm while on it as a great part of me still feels sober, like my judgement (I don't think I would do anything on LSD that I wouldn't do when sober). The thing is that I've now actually heard of two different accounts from two different friends where someone has become completely mental on LSD, even to the point of becoming violent towards his/her own friends. These instances are so severe that it makes me think that this stuff is actually really dangerous, but everything I've read tells me that the probability for this happening is really really small. What is your take on this? Could they have been taking something else than LSD? Or aren't these violent episodes as rare as I've been made to believe?
I've only ever seen people with schizophrenia slip into lasting psychotic episodes due to taking psychedelics, but found that transient psychotic states that last for the duration of the experience can occur in anyone. Since the former don't require knowledge of being prone to schizophrenia, taking LSD or other psychedelics including dissociatives is always a big risk and therefore indeed very dangerous.

Combining them with alcohol seems to increase the chance of triggering episodes hundred fold in my experience.

I've turned psychotic a handful of times during experiences (having taken them hundreds of times), but my brain seems to be very resilient and I've kinda grown an interest in these psychotic states, however scary they may be.

Always keep a neuroleptic like olanzapine, a benzo or trazodone at hand.

Last edited:
LSD isn't dangerous man, people are dangerous.

For instance, i own a shotgun but i haven't taken it out of storage in years. Don't blame the gun if i go postal though.

I've had a violent psychotic breakdown on LSD. It happened when I took an unexpectedly high dose (at least 2x what I'd ever taken before), from a stranger, in an unfamiliar campground, at night, with a bunch of people who I didn't know. To top it all off, a bunch of those people started deliberately screwing with me while I was coming up, by telling me that reality was an illusion, or that I'd be gored by wild boars if I wandered off from the campground. I'm honestly not surprised that I lost my shit.

Other than this episode, I've never had a really bad reaction to a psychedelic drug.