• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

PRL-8-53

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
220px-PRL-8-53.svg.png
This compound has some interesting numbers about increasing memory, the worse you are in memorizing stuff, the more effective it seems to be and has a huge safety margin. Is described as cholinergic but also dopaminergic and partially anti-serotonergic in nature, reverses the catatonia induced by reserpine which means (?) that it's either an agonist or increases synthesis. Reserpine is a depleter, not an antagonist, isn't it?

I had excellent memory without knowing or valuing it, got major bullying in school because of high grades (lol? Kids are weird) and began to artificially introduce little mistakes. But drug use took its toll and nowadays I have problems just reading two continuous pages without drifting off and memory only works when I'm fascinated by something - or seriously impressed/scared, or on a stimulant.

Just post here because the search didn't find a single result for this one, so-called nootropics seem to be seriously underrepresented on BL anyways, imo they deserve an own subsection when we even have one for sports enhancing drugs (which I'm just learning can do much more than increase your biceps but also relieve depression when other stuff fails). Guess quite a few people at least think to suffer from impaired memory from addictions and this molecule might bring some aid..

Weird that something is cholinergic and dopaminergic together, always thought they were somewhat antagonists as tardive dyskinesia being a hypodopaminergic thing and stim psychosis sharing symptoms with delirant intoxication (most notably seeing bugs). Alsosomewhat wary because I reacted badly to racetams but that was to a time when I didn't need them.

We tend to talk about nootropics in Psychedelic Drugs, mostly because there is a lot of crossover of user base and more people are drug nerds who want to talk about the finer points of drug effects. This subforum is also appropriate. There isn't really enough nootropics discussion traffic to warrant a separate subforum at this time. Though we're working on outreach to start expanding our user base once again so who knows in the future?

I've been curious about this one as well, but I have no experience.

Honestly I'm pretty leery of the mechanism of action. I read the first cited paper on wiki and it only cited other papers, which were in German (a few by Hansl in 1974).

I kind of view vague mechanisms of action as placeholders for people trying to cobble together their animal data. Think of how tianeptine was a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer (a thouroughly nonsense term if I have ever heard one), until people realized it was a biased mu opioid agonist.

You are correct about reserpines effects. It inhibits the VMAT transporters which fill vesicles with monoamines, impairing neurotransmitter release.

Thing is, I would personally want to see experiments that control for other possibilities for reversing reserpine catalepsy and ptosis, as this could simply be stimulating and evening out (like a speedball).

One thing to note is that it doesn't potentiate d-amphetamine.

This would be a cool compound to do some modern target prediction and then use knockout mouse lines to validate.