• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours'

Bluelight Crew
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-serve-1000-year-sentence-in-eight-hours.html

Future biotechnology could be used to trick a prisoner's mind into thinking they have served a 1,000 year sentence, a group of scientists have claimed.

Philosopher Rebecca Roache is in charge of a team of scholars focused upon the ways futuristic technologies might transform punishment. Dr Roache claims the prison sentence of serious criminals could be made worse by extending their lives.

Speaking to Aeon magazine, Dr Roache said drugs could be developed to distort prisoners' minds into thinking time was passing more slowly.

"There are a number of psychoactive drugs that distort people’s sense of time, so you could imagine developing a pill or a liquid that made someone feel like they were serving a 1,000-year sentence," she said.

A second scenario would be to upload human minds to computers to speed up the rate at which the mind works, she wrote on her blog.

"If the speed-up were a factor of a million, a millennium of thinking would be accomplished in eight and a half hours... Uploading the mind of a convicted criminal and running it a million times faster than normal would enable the uploaded criminal to serve a 1,000 year sentence in eight-and-a-half hours. This would, obviously, be much cheaper for the taxpayer than extending criminals’ lifespans to enable them to serve 1,000 years in real time."

The story continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-serve-1000-year-sentence-in-eight-hours.html

Now thats some scary shit.. I think it could be put to better use.. Because a judge wouldnt be so apprehensive to throw down a thousand year sentence but shit that could warp someone good.

imagine you could get a doctorate in a few minutes.. or have a year long party in a minute.. or I guess basically what ever you want.. kinda wonder what people would be doing illegal if they could do anything they wanted for as long as they wanted.

Gives a whole new meaning to "they will never take me alive"

Last edited:
The whole idea of communicating consciousness directly from brain to brain is very interesting, but also very far off I feel. There was the one experiment that allowed a person to move another person's arm with conscious thought (à la Avatar) which is incredibly promising, and when applied in this context, very concerning. I'm not sure how it would work having multiple minds going at once, sounds very anxiety-provoking.
I also don't think they'll effectively develop a drug that only functions in slowing a person's perception of time. It would have to be tested on humans, wouldn't it? I'm not sure animals can communicate their perceptions of time to us (unless we can identify and observe the process occurring with neuro imaging). In any case, would a person be able to maintain their bodily functions (like breathing, blinking, movement) or would they begin doing these at an increased pace? I'm imagining a person who is stuck perceiving things to be going extremely slowly, who maintains what they know as a normal respiratory rate, while in reality they are breathing incredibly fast.

"Seem like white folk ain't never had a bright idea in they life unless they was coming up with all kinds of ways to kill your ass."

Django

I don't see how anyone could ever be the same again after undergoing such an experience.

Yea that is def some scary shit. Leave it to humans to develop more inventive ways to bring pain and misery to others.

This is the most cruel disgusting shit ever.
Thinking you served a 1,000 year sentence would no doubt have adverse mental reactions.
Of course this is first being used as a form of punishment, fuck this world

I am thinking of all the potentially amazing uses of these drugs.
Like, you could speed up someone's thinking, and then play them language-learning lessons at a fast pace. In 8 hours, you could learn 80 languages!

But using this as punishment would be really cruel and unusual.

Time dilation is fucking awesome.

PS the death penalty would be cheaper anyways

Stupid philosopher. Leave the thinking to Captains.

who needs to serve 1000 years in prison? that is just ridiculous, it is so many times more than a human life it's insane. what is the idea, some people need to suffer for inhuman amounts of time for their crime while other people are allowed to get away with anything. yea that sounds like a great future. oh wait that's what happens already, poor people go to prison for decades for non-violent drug offenses and corporate, white collar criminals can steal billions, sponsor genocide, launder drug and terror money and just get away with it.

^ I completely agree with this post, juno.
Prison should not be for punishment, anyway, imo, but for rehabilitation.
(And, of course, nobody should ever go to prison for drugs!)

The Meaning of Cruel and Unusual Punishment

But in California, a 25-year-to-life sentence for stealing three golf clubs under the “three strikes” law is not unconstitutional. Indeed, no particular term of years in prison is forbidden, nor is the death penalty inherently cruel or unusual.

Punishments that are not unconstitutional include:
felony punishment for petty theft for a defendant with a prior felony
automatic probation ineligibility for sale or possession for sale of heroin

Last edited:
The mind could not ever be made to function that fast, it would defy physics. The person would die long before they reached that speed. This is just a masterbation fantasy for republicans to use their Clysdale stallion dildos to. Status quo punishment fetishists make me sick.

Yeah, avoid solving any problems in society, just make sadistic punishing more efficient as it creates an endless positve feedback use of crime.

Last edited:
isnt the entire idea of "rehabilitation" to learn from time and the experiences in prison? what good does it do to "TRICK" someone into thinking he did 1,000 years instead of letting him try to serve 1,000 years and have him die in prison? not only that but couldnt this be considered cruel and unusual punishment?

isnt the entire idea of "rehabilitation" to learn from time and the experiences in prison? what good does it do to "TRICK" someone into thinking he did 1,000 years instead of letting him try to serve 1,000 years and have him die in prison? not only that but couldnt this be considered cruel and unusual punishment?
The 'unusual' is not taken literally by the courts, and as of yet, lengthy sentences are not seen as cruel.

It would never happen though. Altering your mind in this way would constitute torture, as given in the Geneva Convention.

Also there would be no hope of reprieve. So it would have to be carried out in a way similar to the death penalty.

Last edited:
They made a movie called Demolition Man. OK movie, Dennis Leary plays Benjamin Franklin.

They had prisoners learning things while in stasis to rehabilitate them. The catch is, who would rather serve the actual 20 year sentence as opposed to thinking you did, while taking piano lessons or whatever.