• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Prison panel approves early release for tens of thousands of federal drug prisoners

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Prison panel approves early release for tens of thousands of federal drug prisoners
By ERIC TUCKER,
July 18, 2014

WASHINGTON (AP) — Tens of thousands of federal inmates serving time for drug crimes may be eligible for early release under a cost-cutting proposal adopted Friday that would dramatically reduce the nation's prison population over time.

The U.S. Sentencing Commission, which earlier this year voted to substantially lower recommended sentences for drug-dealing felons, voted unanimously to retroactively apply that change to prisoners now behind bars.

More than 46,000 inmates, including many who have already served a decade or longer in prison, would be eligible to seek early release under the commission's decision. A judge would review the case of each prisoner seeking to get out early to decide if the release would jeopardize public safety. The releases would start in November 2015 and be phased in over a period of years.

The commission, an independent panel that sets sentencing policy, estimates sentences would be cut by an average of 25 months.

"The magnitude of the change, both collectively and for individual offenders, is significant," said commission chairwoman Patti Saris, a federal judge in Massachusetts.

Advocates of the early-release plan say it would cut prison costs — nearly one-half of the federal prison population is locked up for drug crimes — and scale back some of the harsh sentences imposed during the country's war on drugs. Prisoner advocacy groups immediately trumpeted the change, calling it a matter of fundamental fairness.

"This vote will change the lives of tens of thousands of families whose loved ones were given overly long drug sentences," Julie Stewart, president of Families Against Mandatory Minimums, said in a statement.

The sentencing change comes amid a broader rethinking of criminal justice policy that the Justice Department, under Attorney General Eric Holder, has embraced.

With an eye toward addressing sentencing disparities rooted in the 1980's-era fight against crack cocaine, and cutting a prison population that's roughly 32 percent above capacity, the Justice Department has issued new clemency criteria designed to encourage thousands of additional inmates to seek an early release. Last year, Holder directed federal prosecutors to avoid seeking mandatory minimum sentences — which limit the discretion of judges to impose shorter sentences — for nonviolent drug offenders.

"This is a milestone in the effort to make more efficient use of our law enforcement resources and to ease the burden on our overcrowded prison system," Holder said in a statement.

The proposal adopted Friday is actually more expansive than one advanced by Holder last month, which would have applied to roughly 20,000 drug inmates who have limited criminal pasts and who did not use a weapon during their crime.

Though sentencing guidelines are advisory rather than mandatory, judges still rely heavily on them in deciding on prison sentences. The guidelines recommend sentences that factor in the types and quantities of the drugs. The commission in April voted to lower recommended sentences across all drug types, meaning, for instance, that a cocaine package of a given size would now be linked to a shorter range of punishment than before.

Congress has until November to voice opposition to the commission's plan, though advocates consider that unlikely. Courts at that point could begin considering petitions from prisoners seeking to get out of prison. Early releases wouldn't begin until a year later.

This is not the first time the sentencing commission has supported an early release for drug offenders. In 2011, the commission voted to retroactively apply a law that reduced the sentencing disparity for crack versus powder cocaine.

Commission members said they believe they have taken steps to ensure public safety, such as requiring a judge to sign off on a defendant's early release. They also voted to delay the release until next year to give judges enough time to consider whether defendants are good candidates to be let out early.

Among those attending Friday's hearing was Adrienne Willis of Camp Springs, Md., who said her 47-year-old son, Bernard Gibson, might be among those who benefit. She said he's already spent 18 years at a federal prison in Virginia for a drug-dealing conspiracy and still has more time to serve.

"I thought that prison was supposed to rehabilitate people," she said. "If someone's been in prison for 18 years and they're not rehabilitated, whose fault is that?"

Some, though not all, judges have joined advocacy groups in championing the change.

"Even though retroactivity and individualized assessment for all eligible persons is time intensive and administratively burdensome, it is the right thing to do so that we can again ensure that our criminal justice system is fair to all concerned," U.S District Judge John J. McConnell Jr. of Rhode Island wrote in a letter to the commission.

But some prosecutors, including some within the Justice Department, have raised public safety concerns. A group of federal prosecutors, the National Association of Assistant United States Attorneys, said the move would lead to higher crime and give defendants little incentive to resolve their cases through plea deals.

"The strong sentencing scheme that has been in place in place over the last 25 years in our country has contributed to the lowest crime rates in more than a generation," the organization wrote.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics...-vote-on-early-release-for-drug-felons?page=2

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................

WOW.

The weather is warming up. I felt hopeful reading this. Then I thought, depending on how you count, 2,500,000 - 3,000,000 million American citizens reside in internment camps. If congress allows the mentioned changes they will only slightly reduce the terms of less than 2% of the incarcerated population.

The United States incarcerates the most people in the world. The smaller count is ~ 2,500,000. This amount could fill the New York Yankees Stadium, 60 times. This is the same as the entire population of Alaska, Vermont, and Wyoming combined.

Here is 1/3 of Yankee Stadium
640px-The_view_from_the_Grandstand_Level_at_New_Yankee_Stadium.jpg

Here is another 1/3 of Yankee Stadium
640px-Soccer_at_Yankee_Stadium%2C_August_2012.jpg

Here is the last 1/3 of Yankee Stadium
640px-436_Yankee_Stadium.jpg

The United States of America has over 60 times this many people in internment camps.

Last edited:
The fact that Federal judges are on the right side and the fact that it is a step in the right direction after forty years of steps the other way.. everything starts slow.. but the fact that this is even happening is very good news for humanity.. and things pick up steam quick.

The thing that makes this all worthless is all these good people will still have jackets.. so it won't take Einstein to figure out how this will end.. bet the prison jailers are laughing themselves to sleep counting money sighns, but when they cant make their way back into society, they will be swinging the drugs to your fucking kids.;) <3

Last edited:
This is why meaningful programs spent on reentry (like art writing or classes, not to mention GED program and technical training that was once available inside, but hasn't been since the WOD too away all the funding - no joke) are so important.

But yea, at the end of the day, anyone with felony on their record, if they want work, if they want to become a productive member of society and make their community a better place, well, good luck. Gonna have a hard fucking time, if it's possible at all (because for most it won't, as thing stand now, for them to make ends meet in the formal economy and so they're have to resort to black market work).

Hopefully they'll be able to enjoy what life they have left, if they're freed.

I wonder however, what sort of life will a man who is in his 60s be able to have after spending 40 years in prison? Will he be able to find a legitimate job? Will he be able to handle the workload? It would feel like a culture shock to me after several decades behind bars.

"What the hell is an internet? And why are you trying to sell me an iPad? Do I look like I need to sit on a $500 rag every month?!" - All exaggerations aside, much has changed since Nixon.

I swear, for many of us, it sure must feel like this is (or has been) a holocaust in slow motion.

I wonder however, what sort of life will a man who is in his 60s be able to have after spending 40 years in prison? Will he be able to find a legitimate job? Will he be able to handle the workload? It would feel like a culture shock to me after several decades behind bars.

Actually this is a GREAT point. Even people who've only been inside for a decade, the way the world works today is very very different from the way it work circa 2000, let alone 1990. I can't tell you how frustrating it is trying to teach the formerly incarcerated how to use a computer, not to mention the internet and email.

Here's the norm: When you're released, they put you on a bus (not like how in the movies they let you out and a friend's waiting to pick you up or a taxi is waiting, that just doesn't happen irl). The bus takes you to the center of town, normally an area like skid row in the middle of some major urban area. It lets you off there, with the $250 gate money they give you expecting this to be enough to get you on your feet.

Really, how the fuck do we expect people to stay out of prison if this is the kind of support we give them, even those who shouldn't have been in prison in the first place like non-violent drug offenders?

I thought about this issue last night. Here is a list of the top ten countries ranked by inequality adjusted human development index followed by the incarceration rate per 100,000 people.

1 Norway 72
2 Australia 133
3 Sweden 60
4 Netherlands 82
5 Germany 78
6 Ireland 89
7 Switzerland 87
8 Iceland 47
9 Denmark 73
10 Slovenia 66

Average incarceration rate of top 10 countries by inequality adjusted human development index: 78.7

This gives an idea of how many prisoners a country has to maintain during a period of peace. As noted above, to have a higher average quality of life than the United States countries keep ~ 80/100,000 people incarcerated.

Here is the United States of Americas ranking
16 United States of America 707

Now some argue America is fixing broken people by sending them into prison. This argument is blatantly wrong. The majority of those top 10 countries are in the same socio-economic pool as America, so rationally they have similar numbers of broken people. The people in the United States of America aren't 10 times as criminally inclined or broken as people in those other 10 countries.

The only rational conclusion is almost 9 out of 10 people in American internment camps shouldn't be there.

Now here is the important part. Most people naively think they aren't at risk of being incarcerated, they don't think they'll break the law. When, by all appearances, almost 9 out of 10 prisoners shouldn't be in prison you should be concerned you could be next.

You don't have to comprehend the mechanism of how innocent people become convicted of crimes. If you look at the evidence many of these people are obviously innocent and we should do something more then hide the issue. We should do something because this threatens the life we have known since birth.

They say it's "all a cost", but who knows you could be next.

Data sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_inequality-adjusted_HDI

Last edited:
lol, you know some guy out there selling those

"FREE *convicted felon's name here*"

t shirts is probably like

"told yall, its the shirts..."

Now some argue America is fixing broken people by sending them into prison. This argument is blatantly wrong.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the above quote (based on my own personal experience behind bars in both county jail and a federal "pound me in the ass" prison. Thankfully, it wasn't I who ended up being pounded in the ass, but it was easy to tell who was based on how they were walking around in the mess hall.