Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Principles of Responsible Marijuana Use

SteamboatBillJr

Bluelighter
NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) said:
Responsible Marijuana Smoking: Moderation in All Things

by Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Counsel April 13, 2015

6_8_NORMLK.StroupPortrait_z-207x300.jpg

While we now enjoy the support of a majority of the American public to end marijuana prohibition, 64 percent of those same people nonetheless still have an overall negative impression of marijuana smokers. All to often they see us as slackers who fail to live up to our full potential, and whose primary interest in life is getting stoned.

While much of that disconnect is likely the result of decades of “reefer madness” propaganda, some of it also results from careless conduct on the part of some marijuana smokers that reinforces those negative stereotypes. We can’t change the past, but we do have the ability to demonstrate by our conduct that marijuana smokers also have full, rich lives filled with family and friends, and influenced by our intellectual and professional pursuits. We are about more than just getting high.

In fact, those of us who smoke marijuana are otherwise indistinguishable from other Americans. We come in all shapes and sizes, with a full range of political beliefs and lifestyles and professional goals. For the vast majority of smokers, our use of marijuana does not define our lives; it is but one factor, including family, work, education, sports, literature, music and faith, that taken together, define who we are as individuals.

Of course, those of us who smoke enjoy the benefits of marijuana, from its relaxing qualities to its ability to allow one to become more creative, and expansive, in our thinking. I do believe that marijuana smoking plays a very positive role in my life and in my work, and I am sure many other smokers feel the same.

Everyone needs some private time, and getting “high” — like sex — is not a dirty word. There are times when we can lay aside our responsibility for a time, and enjoy the freedom of just getting high with friends. But that does not suggest that marijuana smoking should become the center of one’s life, or that one should be stoned all waking hours. Most jobs and educational pursuits require a clear mind and a steady focus that are not possible if one is experiencing the short-term memory loss that is an integral part of the marijuana “high.”

And a healthy family life requires shared experiences and interactions that depend on a degree of personal communication that is frequently interrupted if one of the parties is stoned. And, frankly, like most other activities in life, getting “high” is more pleasurable when experienced in moderation.

Principles of Responsible Marijuana Use

Here are a few common sense suggestions for enjoying marijuana in a responsible manner, which will, over time, help persuade the non-smokers that those of us who do smoke are nonetheless good, productive citizens. Many of these are based on The Principles of Responsible Cannabis Use, adopted by the NORML board of directors back in 1996, and found on the NORML website.

1. Be sensitive to the set and setting before lighting-up. A responsible marijuana consumer should be vigilant to the conditions – time, place, mood, etc. – and should not hesitate to say “no” when those conditions are not conductive to a safe, pleasant and/or productive experience. And we must always respect the rights of others.

The responsible marijuana smoker does not violate the rights of others, observes accepted standards of courtesy and public propriety, and respects the preferences of those who wish to avoid marijuana entirely. Regardless of the legal status of marijuana, responsible users should adhere to emerging tobacco smoking protocols in public and private places. It is important politically that non-smokers do not feel as if those of us who smoke are forcing our personal preferences on them.

2. No driving while impaired with marijuana. A responsible marijuana consumer should not operate a motor vehicle or use other dangerous machinery while impaired by marijuana or other substances (including alcohol and some prescription medications).

Public safety requires that impaired drivers be kept off the roads, and that objective measures of impairment be developed to detect marijuana impairment; not simply testing for the presence of THC.

3. Resist abuse. Most marijuana use is essentially harmless; some is not. The use of marijuana, to the extent it impairs health, personal development or achievement, is abuse and should be resisted.

For example, the concept of “wake and bake” needs to disappear from our lexicon. It is a variation on the “stupid stoner” stereotype of a smoker who sits home on his couch all day and stays stoned from morning until night. That image feeds the prejudice that exists among non-smokers towards those of us who smoke.

“Wake and bake” might work on an occasional camping trip, or a day spent walking in the woods, but it should not be a regular part of one’s life.

4. Be careful with edibles and concentrates. When consumed as an edible, the THC in marijuana requires up to 90-minutes, or even longer, to take effect, and it is therefore difficult to titrate the dosage. 10 milligrams is generally considered a single dose for an experienced user, and perhaps 5 milligrams for a novice user.

One who consumers too much of an edible will likely have a frightening, unpleasant experience, similar to a bad acid trip, which sometimes ends up in an emergency room. Those incidents are not life threatening or fatal, but they do reinforce negative views of marijuana smoking by non-smokers, and complicate our task of moving legalizing forward.

And the same warning applies to concentrates. Novice users especially need to go slowly when using concentrates, to avoid an unpleasant overdose; and even experienced smokers frequently are surprised by the strength of concentrates. Just as alcohol drinkers learn to use far less if they are drinking hard liquor than if they are drinking beer, those who use edibles and concentrates must acknowledge the distinction from regular marijuana and adjust their intake.

5. Moderation in all things. Just as alcohol drinkers learn that moderation is necessary to insure a pleasant experience, and to avoid an unpleasant one, so too with marijuana smoking. Getting as high as possible should not be the goal. The purpose of marijuana smoking should be to reach a nice, comfortable, pleasant high that permits enjoyable social interaction with others, and enhances the experience of activities such as eating, listening to music, walking in the woods, having sex, etc.

In fact, sometimes marijuana smokers prefer a mild level of intoxication, which has resulted in the arrival of many low-THC strains and edibles in states in which it is legal.

If those of us who smoke marijuana can generally follow these basic guidelines, we will begin to overcome the negative impression of recreational marijuana smokers that persist among nearly two out of three non-smokers, which in turn will permit us to make the remaining cultural and legal changes required to end unfair discrimination against responsible marijuana smokers.
http://news.marijuana.com/news/2015/04/responsible-marijuana-smoking-moderation-in-all-things/

That's nice in theory but do that guy and the people at NORML really actually believe that mostly everyone will adhere to these principles?

And 'responsible coffee drinkers' shouldn't have a cup early in the morning either. It all sounds a bit ridiculous & not helping to end the stigma at all because they're comparing marijuana with alcohol. It's even worse for those of us who use marijuana for medical reasons, nobody says you shouldn't take an opiate painkiller in the morning to control your chronic pain, but they're much stronger drugs than marijuana.

For sure there are different ways to use responsibly. There are good points made here for consideration, but there is no one responsible way for everyone. Everyone is different.

Can someone tell me why the quote box is black? Its hard to read on my phone.

And 'responsible coffee drinkers' shouldn't have a cup early in the morning either. It all sounds a bit ridiculous & not helping to end the stigma at all because they're comparing marijuana with alcohol. It's even worse for those of us who use marijuana for medical reasons, nobody says you shouldn't take an opiate painkiller in the morning to control your chronic pain, but they're much stronger drugs than marijuana.

totally agree. I use marijuana for successful management of a ton of anxiety disorders. I smoke in the morning because it works, and doesn't have any consequences. I would totally consider myself a responsible user of cannabis, much more responsible than many others, yet some of these guidelines don't apply to me. "Don't match the stereotype" is all I hear from this set of rules, when in reality, what needs to happen is for people to, I don't know, stop stereotyping? lol

That's nice in theory but do that guy and the people at NORML really actually believe that mostly everyone will adhere to these principles?

It pretty much sums up how all my friends treat marajuana. We all hold jobs, have family responsibilties and use marajuana as one small ingredient in life. We might share a spliff during a backyard BBQ, or while out sailing one Sunday afternoon. Other times we might enjoy wine and cheese. Cannabis is not for everyone, in fact it is probably not a majority of people's ideal drug of choice. Like it or not if given the choice, a lot of people would probably choose alcohol over weed.

I totally agree that it is the small number of couch locked stoners who give cannabis a bad name. Living your life in a perpetual haze is not a healthy or respectful way to use this drug. A small number of you might use it medicinally from dawn to dusk and that's fine if it works for you, however there is no denying that most people's lives do suffer by abusing any drug in such a manner. Unfortunately the laws often exist to protect a small minority of society who otherwise can't get their shit together.

A small number of you might use it medicinally from dawn to dusk and that's fine if it works for you, however there is no denying that most people's lives do suffer by abusing any drug in such a manner. .

Agreed. Because that's me and I've seen too many people think they're at all functional after smoking and it's just not true. I can get overmedicated like anybody, but after a normal amount I'm more able work and focus because I'm in less pain.

I agree with Priest as well, I don't even think most NORML members follow these guidelines

I think time alone will help to erase stigma and encourage social acceptance. With legality it will see more use, and with more exposure people will see that, as in all things, the majority of pot smokers do not conform to the stereotypical image.

no wake n bake? buh why :(

The image it encourages, I guess, is that of someone who's sole focus is to get high despite possible impairment when going about daily activities. As long as you're sober or at least not noticeably baked by the time you have work or school, I don't see a problem with wake and baking while smoking responsibly.

It pretty much sums up how all my friends treat marajuana. We all hold jobs, have family responsibilties and use marajuana as one small ingredient in life. We might share a spliff during a backyard BBQ, or while out sailing one Sunday afternoon. Other times we might enjoy wine and cheese. Cannabis is not for everyone, in fact it is probably not a majority of people's ideal drug of choice. Like it or not if given the choice, a lot of people would probably choose alcohol over weed.

I totally agree that it is the small number of couch locked stoners who give cannabis a bad name. Living your life in a perpetual haze is not a healthy or respectful way to use this drug. A small number of you might use it medicinally from dawn to dusk and that's fine if it works for you, however there is no denying that most people's lives do suffer by abusing any drug in such a manner. Unfortunately the laws often exist to protect a small minority of society who otherwise can't get their shit together.

That's how I also was when I would smoke herb unless it was summer, and it was freely available and I didn't have that many responsibilities. But I know other people who would smoke 3.5g in a day/night, and were fulltime students, and worked part time, and just spent their days/nights stoned for years, and this worked for them; but they did worry about the longterm effects of smoking that much that often.

I think the principles of cannabis use subsets into the principles of entheogen use, into the principles of consciousness use. What is, after all, the big issue? The issue is how others' consciousnesses are concerned about the state of consciousness of the individual concerned. Where objective ethics are involved, such as in matters of possible impairment of functions which have been quantitatively, and perhaps qualitatively standardized in some way, each subset of society, and perhaps "society as a whole" (if there really is such a thing) has a stated concern which should at least be properly addressed by the individual concerned.

But I'm reminded of Thomas Szasz's work on the politics of consciousness and the techniques of coercion which "society" uses to influence the decisions of people under its valence, including decisions about how to alter or maintain alterations in the consciousness of "the individual". I think this relation of coercion between "the group" called "society" (in any permutation or arrangement) and the target called "the individual" (which may mean a group of specified individuals) is basically the general form of most relations between people who have one set of consciousness parameters (non-use of psychoactives, use of only certain psychoactives, use only in certain ways), and others who do not obey those regimes.

It seems that the modes of dissent from most regimes of consciousness "control" by "the group" (whomever we label the power-leveraging member in the equation) are modes of dissent that are scaled from one extreme which is really just a mode of submission (criticism within the fold, voting away from the mainstream but still voting, etc) to the other which is violent revolution. This scale seems to fit well into any power struggle, whether what we will be having for lunch today, or whether you will be smoking crack and hiding it from me while pretending to be no smoking crack, or whether person A is going to teach person B something theoretical or practical, or whether person B is going to "tell" person "A" what to do with their attention (what're YOU looking at... yeah, that's right, move along, PUNK), or whether someone younger than you is going to call you "young man" as a reflection of his being a security guard at the transitional facility at which you stay and you being an "inmate", or whether a rape is going to go down successfully for the rapist depending upon the victim's degree and type of resistance, etc and so on.

I think the question is then what is a responsible use of influence over the person who dissent's from the customary controls upon consciousness use which are in place within society, both in some specific subset and "on the whole". Personally, I have found myself in an extreme case of dissonance with society both "as a whole" and also in just about every subset of that whole my entire life, so when I finally discovered the meaningful ways in which entheogens could play a constructive role in my already long-developed way of life vis-a-vis social dissidence, I was intrigued both on a theoretical level and also in a personal, ethical level.

The main issue is whether or not you are "lying". That's the main issue right there. If you have to lie, either to yourself or someone else, about anything, then you stealing a relationship with the other persons in the social equation. If it is understood that the consumption of a certain substance is prohibited in the relation, or that it must be regulated in some way, and if this is circumvented, that's blatantly unethical, period. But this is just the same as when a Jesuit priest decides he's going to infiltrate a spiritual community by hiding the fact that his a Jesuit priest who is infiltrating that community... The same ethical breach has occurred.

But with consciousness alteration, it is FAR more subtle in a certain way. When society dictates certain forms of consciousness... Ah, never mind, I'm starting to write a book on a web forum! Well, that's my input.

I'll tell you a couple of points of responsible pot use

1) I don't smoke and drive. Ever.
2) I don't smoke and go to work. Ever.
3) When I have guests in my house and I have to medicate, I ask them if they mind/are bothered; if so I nip into another room for a toke.
4) If my illness is so bad that I can't get through a day without a toke, I call in sick (once or twice a year).

In other words, literally and figuratively I do not flaunt it in front of people, and I do not make my intoxication an issue that society has to deal with.

Tom

I wasn't interested in following your kind of advice in my youth Tom. I was stoned more frequently at work than any other place. Do any of you have opinions about on the job smoking, yes or no?

I totally disagree with the part about driving and always have. For the sake of everyone here, I'm not going to attempt to argue it, but nonetheless I disagree. Also the part about wake-and-bake, it is totally an OK thing, just in moderation. Otherwise, this list is nice and is a great thing to follow.

I wasn't interested in following your kind of advice in my youth Tom. I was stoned more frequently at work than any other place. Do any of you have opinions about on the job smoking, yes or no?

Fair enough.

Re: on the job smoking - sure, if it is permitted, otherwise no. Realistically speaking - in very few workplaces. However, that having been said, I would have no problems frequenting certain businesses that allowed their employees to smoke while on break.

Tom

I found if I rolled a big enough spliff & smoked it fast enough before work in the morning then the high could last until lunchtime, so I didn't need to smoke any weed at work.

Fair enough.

Re: on the job smoking - sure, if it is permitted, otherwise no. Realistically speaking - in very few workplaces. However, that having been said, I would have no problems frequenting certain businesses that allowed their employees to smoke while on break.

Tom

I should add, I shouldn't have smoked on the job. Most modern marijuana strains impair your cognitive capacity. Even when I had menial jobs I shouldn't have smoked while at work. My sober on the job co-workers received promotions quicker. This is why smoking on the job is something I don't do.

The situation is different with medical marijuana patients. After NIDA's monopoly on marijuana used in medical research ends real research could begin. If you want to smoke marijuana because of how sweet the experience is I support this. Responsible recreational drug use is edifying and very effective recreational marijuana strains exist. Medical marijuana patients could use better medicine. Patients should have marijuana strains designed using peer reviewed scientific research. After researchers begin growing and breeding marijuana strains in house people with eating disorders, cancer, PTSD, ect. could have therapeutic options with fewer cognitive consequences while they are working. When NIDA's monopoly ends more advanced strains such as Charlotte's Web could be made.

1 - never inject maria juanitas
2 - never insufflate maria juanitas
3 - never plug maria juanitas