• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Pride Parade!

^^Because those people are representing the gay community as a whole, that's the point of the "gay pride parade". Do straight people bring their kids to the mardi gras festivities?

Oh ok. I suppose I didn't consider that children might be present at a gay event, or that their parents/guardians would bring them to one.
So the assumption here is that a few participants are representing an entire population?
Why is that?
I don't think a bunch of men marching in leather chaps are representing me at all, but I do think they should be allowed to represent themselves.
I suppose my personal bias is getting in the way of my better judgement then too.
[ 10 July 2002: Message edited by: Noodle ]

I agree with Noodle when he says that many of the parade do not represent him - but they should nonetheless be allowed to go out there and represent themselves.
Parenting is getting into very dodgy ground for me because i am not so sure that seeing men and women up on floats dancing around (even scantily clad ones) would be worse for kids than to grow up narrow minded and biased against something to which they had no exposure.
I don't know if i am making myself clear here because it is 6.00 in the morning and i am just about to finish night duty!! I do think that there are limits to what i would expose my children to (if i had any) but i think bringing them to a mardi gras parade would not be bad parenting in my book.
I can only speak for the one parade i have attended and that is the Sydney MG this year. It was not lewd (well, not very anyway) ON a whole it was a great event with floats from all sections of society including, political groups, AIDS groups, and Spiritual groups. I would definitely bring kids to it if i were a parent. I have to stress though that this is based on the only parade i have been to, so i cannot talk about other ones.

Parenting is getting into very dodgy ground for me because i am not so sure that seeing men and women up on floats dancing around (even scantily clad ones) would be worse for kids than to grow up narrow minded and biased against something to which they had no exposure.
I agree, the parental issue is null. Outlined in Judith Levine's book, Harmful To Minors, she comprehensively discusses the detriment of masking children from their own sexuality and the sexuality of others.
Heh, but I guess that's another discussion altogether.

Good job Beachboyty on doing what so many others have attempted...make sense.
I guess I'll alway wonder about the need to let everyone know one's sexual preference by means of flags, stickers, and other various propaganda.

A great man once told me the best way to win and argument is not by winning it at all its by presenting your agument in a manner in which to shed light on a subject making your oponent say, "hmm interesting i would have never seen it from that point of veiw, this makes me think". paraphrased of course. I think this thread has been great! This being an emotionally charged topic with equally emotionaly charged people that screams of an ugly nloody fight to come. We persevered, we stuck it out. And in the end i feel as though we made our points without trying to step on to many people. But i belive, as i quoted my friend, that both sides have fufilled there point of veiw in well though out manner. it definetly has made me think three dimensinally about the issue. I know why and how the other side can say the things they do and i understand the need for thier response. I understand now, finally,the grey area the trapped in two worlds issue. I feel that at times being neither sexual no based in one ethnic group. so maybe we should A> finsih this topic off with a good handshake. or B> have closing arguments
-phil-
[ 10 July 2002: Message edited by: liquidphil1 ]

But in the end, I decided to honor the fleeting yet significant experiences I had had while struggling alone with the realization that I was gay. I knew NO ONE who was gay, and practically no one who would understand or accept it. I can distinctly remember seeing a car with rainbow colors on the back and going out of my way by several blocks just to catch up and get a look at the driver. She was nothing special, but when finally saw her and caught her eye, I felt for that brief moment like I wasn't actually all alone, and that maybe my life wasn't really about to end with coming out. So I put that sticker on my truck against the day that some young person is driving down the street swimming in the same horrific despair and lonliness I was, and then he/she looks over and sees normal ol me in my normal ol pick-up driving along living my normal ol life as an out gay man.
This made me cry.
Gosh, thanks for posting even though the evil bl troll ate your password. :)

I'll offer my open hand, although hugs are more meaningful to me.
:)

I was going to offer my cock, but I figured that would be to foward.
Here's mah hand...

First things first - Quicksilvercameleon - since you were the first person to address my post, while obviously not taking the time to read it thouroughly, let me just remind you that the points I presented we're from the stance of The Devils Advocate. They are *not* necisarily my personal beliefs or opinions.
Ty - If every gay rights activist were as intelligent and well spoken as you, I have no doubt in my mind that the struggle for Gay Rights would be a very short struggle indeed.
He felt that we were assimilating into the system and losing our identity as counter-culture.
Thats a very sad and counter-productive opinion to disseminate into any media forum, be it the Gay Media, or the Mainstream Media. The very fact that this author wants Gay Pride to remain a *Counter-Culture* completely contridicts the notion of wanting to have fair and equal rights, to be treated just as everyone else. Any "counter culture" in history has always been treated differently, looked down upon and shunned by mainstream society.
Not that it matters, but I suppose I'll shed a little light on my own personal views towards homosexuals. It's pretty simple. I don't have a problem with them in the slightest. The Butch, The Femme, The Flamboyant, The Conservative. I don't have a problem with anyone or anything, based solely on the fact that they are gay. I could give 2 shits about what you choose to fuck, be it man, woman, or beast. That's you're own personal *choice*.
Growing up as a "white" male (I only just found out recently that I was half puerto-rican) in a middle class suburban neighborhood, I struggled, as more and more adolescents are struggling with everyday, with not wanting to be "like everyone else." Yes, my "struggle" was purely asthetic. The hardest I had it was being shunned by the cool kids cause I listened to different music, and didn't dress like everyone else. I find that fairly amusing actually, as my views on religion (I'm extremely oppsed to organized religion, and do not subscribe to the belief that any one religion has it "right".), my lack of faith in "GOD", was over looked, while my dress and music tastes we're focused on. Kids...
But anyone in my position has to come to respect everyones right to choose however they want to live there lives. You develop an intense respect for every individuals right to choose how they want to live there lives, be it asthetically, religiously, or sexually. I don't think there is a single aspect of my life that i havent sat alone on a dark night thinking about and debating. "Maybe I shouldn't dress like this" and "Maybe I shouldn't speak my mind and express how I feel all the time" and yes, even "Shit, I happen to find some men attractive. Does that m,ean I'm gay?"
Blah! I ramble. Enough about my silly ass.
Basically I think Ty hit the nail on the head, spelling out basically everything I was attempting (and apparently failing) to say without spelling it out (I tend to like to try and make people think a bit more...it usually backfires horribly on me). There's no one "right" way to go at any situation. Different people have different views, believes, stratigies, and all of them are "right" to someone. There are no right and wrong answers in life.
Sadly, there's not enough respect in this country for thought processes, views, beleifs, opinions, etc... that differ from yours. We live in a remarkable narrowed and closed minded society. Because of this, *any* group that varies from the status quo will always have an intensely difficult time becoming accepted, and will always face adversity, hardship, and discrimination.

I didn't even make it through the first page of posts, let alone all of them. But my general consensus is that a gay pride is a waste of everybodies time. There's no point to have a parade for your sexuality. Who cares if you're gay? I don't, and nobody should. The people that actually do care that youre homosexual arn't going to be influenced by a parade.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
so rather than read and attempt to open your mind or at least be exposed to ideas you're currently not accepting of or perhaps even familiar with, you chose to simply spout off.
i hope i am never so thoughtless when writing about a topic about which some people care very deeply.
[ 11 July 2002: Message edited by: Txteacher ]
[ 11 July 2002: Message edited by: Txteacher ]

I know my post sounded harsh, sorry, it made sense in my mind, but it came off harsh. What I mean, is that what is the point of this parade? To change other's opinions about what homosexuality is? As I remember it this is a parade that flaunts sex, etc, kinda looks bad for some people who are gay/bi (me) and don't jump on the bandwagon of permiscuity. Do you really think billy bob joe living in whatever city youre coming to, that quote, "hates goddamn faggots" is going to change his mind when he sees hundreds of homosexuals marching down the street. All he's going to do is turn his back and curse you. I fail to see the motive to running such a parade. Is it just for fun? In that case why doesn't the people that set this up just set up a massive party instead, that isn't as ridiculous as running a parade. Maybe some of you can enlighten me to the purpose, I just see it as a collosal waste of time...

^
Your view has already been more carefully and fairly expressed earlier on in this thread.
And for the record, I know that I am hardly offended by your blunt--albeit it honest--response.
I am actually more surprised to see you straying from your usual posting haunts on this site.
:)
[ 11 July 2002: Message edited by: Noodle ]

Maybe some of you can enlighten me to the purpose, I just see it as a collosal waste of time...
Perhaps if you'd take the time to read the enlightened posts in this thread then you would know. To make it easier on you, just read beachboyty's post.
This is exactly the type of pervasive ignorance and lack of self-enlightenment that necessitates pride marches whether they be for gays, women, religious groups etc. It's hard to ignore an issue when you are exposed directly to it. However, you have succeeded remarkably in that effort.

I post this in regards to teh recent posts after the lets shake hands post by me.
This brilliant friend i was telling you all about also spoke these words of wisdom to me as well
freind:True...I think that most of them would be more open to learning what they don't know if they weren't made to feel like bigots just for having an uninformed opinion.
liquidphil1: that is true. and i am guilty of that acusation many times over. it is the simplist emotional plea when someone doesnt understand your point to call someone a biggot or acuse them of there unwillingness to learn.
friend: yes, it is a difficult reaction to avoid. Because you can't understand how someone can develop such a myopic opinion. But, if you can affirm the legitimate points they have to make and then ask them to consider the thing from where you stand, they are usually more likely to do that.
-phil-
im blessed for knowing such wise people.