• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Price of Legal Pot Plunges 40% in Washington as Shortages Ease

poledriver

Bluelighter
Price of Legal Pot Plunges 40% in Washington as Shortages Ease

Shortages that plagued the start of Washington state’s legal marijuana market have eased, sending prices in recreational-pot stores down as much as 40 percent.

Seattle’s first pot shop, Cannabis City, ran out of marijuana in three days when it opened in July. Since then, the state has licensed more growers, processors and retailers, increasing supply and reducing prices to an average of $15 a gram, said Randy Simmons, deputy director of the Washington State Liquor Control Board. Prices were as much as $25 a gram in July, including taxes.

Even after the decline, that’s still 50 percent more than the $10 a gram available on the black market, board officials said in an interview yesterday at Bloomberg’s offices in Seattle.

Challenges remain in the state’s attempt to supplant illegal sellers. An effective tax rate of 44 percent on recreational pot is keeping many buyers in the still-unregulated market for medical marijuana, and officials say some applicants for store licenses have lacked financial backing or expertise.

“We had a lot of people seeing it as a gold mine,” Simmons said. They underestimated such costs as rent and lab testing, he said.

Colorado and Washington became the first U.S. states to allow recreational sales last year, and voters in Alaska, Oregon and the District of Columbia have also passed legalization measures. Unlike Colorado, which used existing sellers of medical marijuana, Washington built its system from scratch.

Stoned Seattle

So far, Washington has issued licenses for 97 of a planned 334 stores to serve 7 million residents. While the board plans to license 20 stores in Seattle, the city already has as many as 300 unlicensed medical marijuana dispensaries, said Rick Garza, the liquor board’s director.

Seattle’s city attorney this week proposed closing illegal dispensaries and folding the medical market into the regulated system.

“It makes sense to fold it in,” Garza said, citing rampant abuses in which people cite “chronic pain” to qualify as marijuana patients.

Serious Munchies

Washington has also gone more slowly than Colorado in the market for marijuana-infused foods. The death last year of a 19-year-old college student who fell from a balcony after eating a pot cookie led officials to require smaller doses and new labeling rules.

After initially restricting so-called edibles, Washington has allowed dozens, from Legal Rainier Cherry Soda to Baked Botanicals 420 Party Mix.

Cont -

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-...unges-40-in-washington-as-shortages-ease.html

I hope when legalization becomes widespread prices of $5/g or less will become commonplace

Legal weed has been a joke here in WA. Colorado did it right. There, you can grow your own weed, and buy cheap, high quality chronic. It's too regulated here, and the prices are way too high.

^ Can you really not grow your own shit in Washington? That is some straight up bullshit if not, although to be fair I can't really imagine them bothering to police that one too heavily.

The biggest benefit of legalized cannabis in my eyes would be the ability to grow and breed your own cannabis varieties without fear of prosecution. Why should anyone pay exorbitant prices for a fucking plant that hurts virtually nobody, legalizing the use of cannabis without legalizing home cultivation of cannabis seems completely nonsensical and they are just doing it to screw every penny they can out of cannabis smokers.

Legal weed has been a joke here in WA. Colorado did it right. There, you can grow your own weed, and buy cheap, high quality chronic. It's too regulated here, and the prices are way too high.

absolutely agree from personal experience. The government should not create a system that pushes people toward the black market through exorbitant taxes. We should pay people in the industry well. Unfortunately, that means keeping some sort of price standard. This is going to be a difficult medium to reach. I believe that it will reach an arrangement like the dichotomy between craft brewers and big beer companies. I personally will pay more to support a small business with a higher quality product. That's not to say a good product can't be made for cheap but in my experience, in the great american west, there is a correlation between price and quality, even when the plant is relatively abundant.

Once it becomes legal nationally, I imagine the big tobacco companies will jump in and the price will plummet drastically.

We can only hope. Until then the BM will always win, they'll always have the better prices, better stock(most times), etc etc. The stupido U.S. gov just needs to give up this victorless war, but you our stance on those.......?