• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

President Obama pardons drug dealers

^^^^
I'm not very knowledgable in the way the government is ran so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the president that is head of the executive branch? Doesnt that mean that he has a say in what the FBI does? Or Is that the judiciary branch? In either case if he really supported states rights to regulate mmj and if he had any balls he would at least publicly denounce their actions. But he hasn't done jack shit. Even if he didn't order them to do it watching someone do it with out trying to stop them is just as bad as pulling the trigger. No need to defend a guy you don't even know who wouldn't give two shits about you getting locked up when you are just trying to medicate yourself naturally

Not everything done is reviewed by the head of the executive branch. He didn't approve the raids. US attorneys in California are responsible for the raids.

People talk about states rights but now they want the president to intervene and order California US attorneys to cancel their orders. The word to do the raids came from within California, not from Washington, Obama was not asked for permission.

He could have done more to voice disapproval, that's for sure, but consider it from his perspective and the political situation he'd be putting himself into, which no smart politician ever would. He hasn't voiced approval or disapproval as far as I know. He can't really be held responsible for the raids though.

People talk about states rights but now they want the president to intervene and order California US attorneys to cancel their orders. The word to do the raids came from within California, not from Washington, Obama was not asked for permission.

It is the feds who are doing the raids. He also certainly has a say in the policy of the DOJ. Remember this?

It is the feds who are doing the raids. He also certainly has a say in the policy of the DOJ. Remember this?

Right, federal agents are conducting raids on the orders of California state attorneys. The feds did not order the raids. I'm not now nor have I ever been a big fan of Obama, but the change in mmj policy came from within California, not Obama. The attorneys who ordered the raids came out with a public statement saying it was done due to their experiences as Californians and the abuse of the mmj system (which is widespread). They also said that Obama was not asked about the change, it was all done 100% without his input. As far as I know he hasn't released a statement on it.

Obama has many faults, but not every shitty thing the feds do is his fault.

Right, federal agents are conducting raids on the orders of California state attorneys. The feds did not order the raids. I'm not now nor have I ever been a big fan of Obama, but the change in mmj policy came from within California, not Obama.

They're actually US attorneys assigned to California.

Like it was said before he may not have ordered the raids but he can fucking step in and stop them. You talk like they are already done with the raids and nothing can be done but they still going on and obama hasn't done jack shit. These are federal officers sent by u.s. attorneys. Whether you want to admit it or not Obama can certainly step in and stop. Hell if he just publicly condemned these actions they would stop. You think that federal officers can just do what they want if the commander in chief doesn't approve?

Which means nothing in court. The federal laws are still the same. In retrospect, all those policy announcements seem like an elaborate set up.

It doesn't even mean anything at the polls. Practically nobody who feels double-crossed by Obama here will vote for Mitt Romney.

^Truth. Logic is not really part of democratic politics. Only the logic of what gets and looses votes and interests is relevant, American government is all about balancing various interests with the goal of maintaining political power.

They're actually US attorneys assigned to California.

They are US attorneys local to California, the federal government defines US attorneys as "the chief federal law enforcement officers in their districts, responsible for federal criminal prosecutions and civil cases involving the United States Government. The Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys provides support and oversight for the 94 offices across the country." - http://www.justice.gov/usao/

They are technically federal employees but their jurisdiction is entirely confined to their state and AFAIK all of them are from California, having worked there previous to being appointed as US attorneys. They are representatives of their state in that sense.

Like it was said before he may not have ordered the raids but he can fucking step in and stop them. You talk like they are already done with the raids and nothing can be done but they still going on and obama hasn't done jack shit. These are federal officers sent by u.s. attorneys. Whether you want to admit it or not Obama can certainly step in and stop. Hell if he just publicly condemned these actions they would stop. You think that federal officers can just do what they want if the commander in chief doesn't approve?

Ok, but the reason the raids are happening is widespread fraud. Which is certainly an issue. The medical system was supposedly created to help people with medical problems but at least as many people abuse the system as use it, getting a recommendation is piss easy. It's a giant scam being run on the feds, you can't expect them to support it forever. Why should Obama step in in support of a system that is totally broken? There are moral reasons, but no political reasons whatsoever.

He hasn't spoken for or against the raids. This is the smart political move to make, he isn't backing what can be seen as an infringement on the rights of Californians, and he isn't backing a broken, dishonest system (the "medical" marijuana system).

Californians should have voted to legalize and I bet this wouldn't be happening. The issue isn't medical marijuana being provided, they aren't raiding in opposition to the principal of medical marijuana. The issue is that most of the people who go to dispensaries do not have serious medical problems that weed helps, they just want to get high. The federal government is not ok with this, because it is a scam. These raids would not be occurring if it wasn't for widespread abuse of the system. At least, that is what the California US attorneys directly responsible said. Remember when the vote on legalization was up in California and one of the big arguments against it was that anyone could get legal weed already and taxes would increase? That is what pisses the feds off, that even though weed is not legal (and Californians wanted it to stay that way), it is easy for anyone at all to get weed at weed stores that are everywhere in Cali. The medical system there is a sham set up that does help many people with medical problems but mostly just sells weed for people to get high on.

Can anyone name a single politically good reason Obama should stop these raids, or even speak on them? He would risk losing a lot of votes regardless of what side he takes. Like I said before, there are moral reasons but those reasons don't factor into political decisions. He has no reason to say anything about the raids and I imagine that he will continue to stay silent about it. Morally I agree that he should speak out against them, but I can't expect him to and I can understand why the Califnoria US attorneys want the medical system to stop, or at least to start actually catering only to medical needs and not stoners.

You think that federal officers can just do what they want if the commander in chief doesn't approve?

Yes, they can, most federal officers do not have to seek approval from the president for their actions. They can't do whatever they want but they have a lot of freedom and the president does not oversee most federal programs.

I see no reason why simple public condemnation of the raids would make them stop. The DEA does not answer to the president, even though they are part of the executive branch. The administrator of the DEA reports to the deputy attorney general. The president can consult but as far as I know he does not have the authority to direct DEA operations, similar to FBI and CIA operations. They are an independent agency, essentially. I recall reading that the only oversight over the DEA is by congress, who has reports of DEA actions submitted to them after the fact. Not sure on it though, government structures are pretty confusing and labyrinthine.

Contrary to popular belief, the president is not the end-all be-all high power in American government, and his word is not law.

Last edited:
Which means nothing in court. The federal laws are still the same. In retrospect, all those policy announcements seem like an elaborate set up.

It doesn't even mean anything at the polls. Practically nobody who feels double-crossed by Obama here will vote for Mitt Romney.

My point was that the adminstration can and has in the past taken the position of not enforcing federal law on operations legally practicing under state law.

lol if you guys thought obama was bad.

Heres bill clintons full list of 456 pardons and the crimes committed http://www.justice.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm

my fav is the one to do with explosives...

wikipedia said:
As President, Bill Clinton used his power under the U.S. Constitution to grant pardons and clemency to 456 people, thus commuting the sentences of those already convicted of a crime, and obviating a trial for those not yet convicted. On January 20, 2001, he pardoned 140 people in the final hours of his presidency.[2]

First positive drug-related thing he has done his entire presidency?

President Gingrich would have us all executed if he were president though, so maybe it's not that bad...

First positive drug-related thing he has done his entire presidency?

President Gingrich would have us all executed if he were president though, so maybe it's not that bad...

Removing the discrepancies between the crack and powder cocaine sentencing guidelines.

Removing the discrepancies between the crack and powder cocaine sentencing guidelines.

Obama? All pales in comparison to his crackdown on marijuana, probably the least harmful, used drug out there and with the most potential for beneficial usages.