• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

President Duterte Is Repeating My Mistakes

poledriver

Bluelighter
President Duterte Is Repeating My Mistakes

BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Illegal drugs are a matter of national security, but the war against them cannot be won by armed forces and law enforcement agencies alone. Throwing more soldiers and police at the drug users is not just a waste of money but also can actually make the problem worse. Locking up nonviolent offenders and drug users almost always backfires, instead strengthening organized crime.

That is the message I would like to send to the world and, especially, to President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

We Colombians know a thing or two about fighting drugs. Our country has long been one of the world’s primary suppliers of cocaine. With support from North American and Western European governments, we have poured billions of dollars into a relentless campaign to eradicate drugs and destroy cartels. I was personally involved in taking down the planet’s most notorious drug trafficker, Pablo Escobar, in 1993. While we managed to make Colombia a bit safer, it came at a tremendous price.

A member of the Colombian police shows several packages of seized cocaine taken from the El Dorado Airport in Bogota 26 August, 1999. Credit Marcelo Salinas/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
My government and every administration since threw everything at the problem — from fumigating crops to jailing every drug pusher in sight. Not only did we fail to eradicate drug production, trafficking and consumption in Colombia, but we also pushed drugs and crime into neighboring countries. And we created new problems. Tens of thousands of people were slaughtered in our antidrug crusade. Many of our brightest politicians, judges, police officers and journalists were assassinated. At the same time, the vast funds earned by drug cartels were spent to corrupt our executive, judicial and legislative branches of government.

Rodrigo Duterte Says Drug War Will Go On as Police Plan Purge JAN. 30, 2017
This heavy-handed approach to drugs did little to diminish the drug supply and demand in Colombia, much less in markets like Western Europe and the United States. In fact, drugs such as cocaine and heroin are as accessible as ever from Bogotá to New York to Manila.

The war on drugs is essentially a war on people. But old habits die hard. Many countries are still addicted to waging this war. As Colombia’s current president, Juan Manuel Santos, said, “We are still thinking within the same framework as we have done for the last 40 years.” Fortunately, more and more governments also concede that a new approach is needed, one that strips out the profits that accompany drug sales while ensuring the basic human rights and public health of all citizens.

If we are going to get drugs under control, we need to have an honest conversation. The Global Commission on Drug Policy — of which I am a founding member — has supported an open, evidence-based debate on drugs since 2011. We strongly support reducing drug supply and demand, but differ fundamentally with hard-liners about how this should be achieved. We are not soft on drugs. Far from it.

What do we propose? Well, for one, we do not believe that military hardware, repressive policing and bigger prisons are the answer. Real reductions in drug supply and demand will come through improving public health and safety, strengthening anticorruption measures — especially those that combat money laundering — and investing in sustainable development. We also believe that the smartest pathway to tackling drugs is decriminalizing consumption and ensuring that governments regulate certain drugs, including for medical and recreational purposes.

While the Filipino government has a duty to provide for the security of its people, there is a real risk that a heavy-handed approach will do more harm than good. There is no doubt that tough penalties are necessary to deter organized crime. But extrajudicial killings and vigilantism are the wrong ways to go. After the killing of a South Korean businessman, Mr. Duterte seemed as if he might be closer to realizing this. But bringing the army in to fight the drug war, as he now suggests, would also be disastrous. The fight against drugs has to be balanced so that it does not infringe on the rights and well-being of citizens.

Winning the fight against drugs requires addressing not just crime, but also public health, human rights and economic development. No matter what Mr. Duterte believes, there will always be drugs and drug users in the Philippines. But it is important to put the problem in perspective: The Philippines already has a low number of regular drug users. The application of severe penalties and extrajudicial violence against drug consumers makes it almost impossible for people with drug addiction problems to find treatment. Instead, they resort to dangerous habits and the criminal economy. Indeed, the criminalization of drug users runs counter to all available scientific evidence of what works.

Taking a hard line against criminals is always popular for politicians. I was also seduced into taking a tough stance on drugs during my time as president. The polls suggest that Mr. Duterte’s war on drugs is equally popular. But he will find that it is unwinnable. I also discovered that the human costs were enormous. We could not win the war on drugs through killing petty criminals and addicts. We started making positive impacts only when we changed tack, designating drugs as a social problem and not a military one.

A successful president makes decisions that strengthen the public good. This means investing in solutions that meet the basic standards of basic rights and minimize unnecessary pain and suffering. The fight against drugs is no exception. Strategies that target violent criminals and undermine money laundering are critical. So, too, are measures that decriminalize drug users, support alternative sentencing for low-level nonviolent offenders and provide a range of treatment options for drug abusers. This is a test that many of my Colombian compatriots have failed. I hope Mr. Duterte does not fall into the same trap.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/opinion/president-duterte-is-repeating-my-mistakes.html?_r=2

Can't wait for when the real changes come. I'm adamant that at some point countries around the world will come to the realization that legalization and regulation are the way to go - and it's already happening in USA and some other places with cannabis. It's inevitable in my mind, but what saddens me is that despite the fact that it's becoming the prevailing opinion (at least as far as decriminalization), still thousands, perhaps millions of lives are being and will be ruined before it's finally over.

While I feel happy for my comrades in the Americas who like to smoke cannabis that their DOC will most likely be legal to use recreationally in the near future, I feel a little bit left out, because my DOC is codeine, and nobody talks or even thinks about it. The world isn't ready to legalize hard drugs yet, but the first baby steps with soft drugs like cannabis are being made; however, I wish people would think about other ones as well - such as codeine. It's also quite a soft drug with dangers/harms profile not unlike that of cannabis, yet the general trend in many countries is to restrict it more rather than think about lifting those restrictions. And it's sad!

Can't wait for when the real changes come. I'm adamant that at some point countries around the world will come to the realization that legalization and regulation are the way to go - and it's already happening in USA and some other places with cannabis. It's inevitable in my mind, but what saddens me is that despite the fact that it's becoming the prevailing opinion (at least as far as decriminalization), still thousands, perhaps millions of lives are being and will be ruined before it's finally over.

While I feel happy for my comrades in the Americas who like to smoke cannabis that their DOC will most likely be legal to use recreationally in the near future, I feel a little bit left out, because my DOC is codeine, and nobody talks or even thinks about it. The world isn't ready to legalize hard drugs yet, but the first baby steps with soft drugs like cannabis are being made; however, I wish people would think about other ones as well - such as codeine. It's also quite a soft drug with dangers/harms profile not unlike that of cannabis, yet the general trend in many countries is to restrict it more rather than think about lifting those restrictions. And it's sad!

I fully agree with you, but unfortunately I think you are overly optimistic.

Even with things SEEMING to look up for cannabis in the U.S., we now have Jeff Sessions as our Attorney General who believes "only bad people smoke marijuanna" and is a ku klux klan supporter and has vowed to go after the states with legalized/decriminalized weed.

He probably won't be overly successful and sooner or later we'll have decriminalized/legal weed, but it's HIGHLY unlikely we'll have other legal drugs.

I mean now they have made CBD iillegal, which I don't even understand how that will work since it's in weed, and they are going after Kratom as well.

I'm not even sure if shrooms are still legal in Amsterdam.

I know at one point they'd been legal when I went there in 2004, then heard they were made illegal there.

The chances that within our lifetime, or even in the next century, that almost any country in the world will have the majority of drugs be decriminalized, other than weed, from opiates to stimulants to psychedelics etc...is just not likely at all.

At the heart of it is IMO the fact that the leaders DO NOT want to help people, they just want to make money and profit off the drug war.

They want the prison system crowded with non violent drug offenders because that makes money for them and it makes money for the DEA and drug agencies.

The powers that be profit from crime and as such, they profit from drugs being illegal.

If it could suddenly become profitable for countries to legalize drugs, only then do I see them becoming legal.

Convince a government it's in their best interest because then THEY'D become rich if drugs were legal, and you might be on to something.

Otherwise, if their pockets aren't lined, they aren't listening, and will repeat the same tired stance of persecution forever and ever into infinity.

At the heart of it is IMO the fact that the leaders DO NOT want to help people, they just want to make money and profit off the drug war.

The powers that be profit from crime and as such, they profit from drugs being illegal.

If it could suddenly become profitable for countries to legalize drugs, only then do I see them becoming legal.

I see this argument often, and fair enough - it makes sense. But having drugs regulated by the government means taxation, and it means all the profits that the organized crime makes at this time, would go to Big Pharma or something similar. If you read global reports, then you will see that drug trade is a big business. Currently the money is going to organized crime, and the money that the government officially receives as part of the WoD is taxpayer money to fight drugs. If drugs were regulated, the same profits would officially go to government (as tax) and to legit companies such as Big Pharma. I can't see how that would be bad business. Look at how much the states that have legal cannabis in US are already making in tax from just cannabis.

I don't feel too happy about Sessions being AG, but one man can't go against majority opinion, especially now that it's not just "popular opinion", but states are already taking action to legalize cannabis. He may slow things down, but he can't stop the ball now that it's rolling.

Every year those old timers who are too thick to be convinced by evidence and are firmly against legalization die off, and every year more and more open minded youth become voters.

I see this argument often, and fair enough - it makes sense. But having drugs regulated by the government means taxation, and it means all the profits that the organized crime makes at this time, would go to Big Pharma or something similar. If you read global reports, then you will see that drug trade is a big business. Currently the money is going to organized crime, and the money that the government officially receives as part of the WoD is taxpayer money to fight drugs. If drugs were regulated, the same profits would officially go to government (as tax) and to legit companies such as Big Pharma. I can't see how that would be bad business. Look at how much the states that have legal cannabis in US are already making in tax from just cannabis.

I don't feel too happy about Sessions being AG, but one man can't go against majority opinion, especially now that it's not just "popular opinion", but states are already taking action to legalize cannabis. He may slow things down, but he can't stop the ball now that it's rolling.

Every year those old timers who are too thick to be convinced by evidence and are firmly against legalization die off, and every year more and more open minded youth become voters.

Yes, I agree on the last part as I don't think Sessions will be able to stop the movement.

We in the U.S., and then many other countries, are thankfully moving towards legalization/decriminalization of weed, but much like you I feel sad as my favorite drugs are not legal.

I mean Kratom is, FOR NOW (probably not much longer, especially not in NY where I am) but what I REALLY want to be legal are shrooms, acid, psychedelics, dissacoiatives, DMT, Mescaline, Ketamine, etc, and I don't see how it will happen.

I totally can see how there could and SHOULD be money in it for any government for drugs to be legal, so maybe that's not the problem, so much as that I just think governments can't admit they are wrong.

I mean look how long it's taken for weed to get this far.

I just can't see most countries just saying "ok guys, sorry, we were wrong about the whole drug war and now all drugs will be legal".

I mean that day would be a dream come true, but politicians are just so evil and believe so much in being "right".

IF it's going to happen it will be PAINFULLY slow.

I do tend to look even more towards other countries though.

Places like Amsterdam and I've also heard Uruguay and Portugal seem to be even more forward thinking regarding different drugs than the U.S.

I wonder what country/city has the most liberal laws regarding OTHER drugs not including weed??

I know we aren't allowed to ask legality questions here...i can look that up on my own..

I forget what country in South America has legal Ayauasca, but I think certainly the few I mentioned are forward thinking.

I don't think LSD is legal anywhere though, or Mescaline...

I want to be able to go into a store and buy strong psychedelics lol.

Maybe someday...but even politicans i liked like Obama wouldn't stand up and say they wanted to legalize drugs.

They are all too scared to say it, other than Bernie Sanders.

I can't imagine how great things must have been in the VERY early 1900s and late 1800s when you could walk into a store and buy stuff like tinctures of Laudanum and weed and heroin and coke and anything you wanted.

Must have been a TOTALLY different era.

If I could time travel, I'd want to go back to that time period haha.

Hopefully things will change, we can always hope...

Helpnotcondem

s ive seen in the past few months how that war on drugs BY PH PRESIDENT GOES .. FOR ME YES IT DID LESS CRIMINAL (USER) AS THEY SAY BUT IF YOULL LOOK REALLY WHATS HAPPENING IS AS IF LIFE HAS NO VALUE. WHEN THERES SOME INNOCENT GET KILLED BCOZ OF THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST DRUG IT WOULD BE EASY FOR THE PH PRESIDENT TO SAY THAT "ITS A COLLATERAL DAMAGE" BUT SHOULD IT ACCEPTED THAT WAY INSTEAD OF PREVENTING IT. MAJORITY OF PH PEOPLE IS INTO IT MOST OF THEM NEED HELP. BEING A LEADER IS NOT PEOPLE OBEY YOU BCOZ THEYRE THREATEN BUT IT SHOULD BE BCOZ THEY TRUST RESPECT AND BELIEVE THAT THE LEADER WILL LEAD THEM TO BE BETTER AND SECURE THEM LIKE FATHER.

Generally not just drugs but most crimes and problems is bcoz of poverty the poor country have the highest rate of illegal activities and crime which means majority of the people get killed and jail is people belong to poorest of the poor

@Mycophile

There was a similar predicament concerning alcohol in USA though. But because Prohibition faced the same issues that the WoD is, and mainly because alcohol is a much more popular drug than others, Prohibition didn't last long (13 years IIRC). So I don't think politicians' desire to always be "right", or rather fear of admitting being wrong, will be a deciding factor once legalization gains enough popularity with people. That's actually what I'm hoping for the most - because in a democracy, even in a non-ideal one, public opinion is what counts in the end (well, if it's really prevailing that is).

I actually imagine the next drug class on the list to be legalized are psychedelics and/or empathogens (MDMA in particular). I've seen a lot of research articles showing benefits of both, and even quite a few news articles explaining those benefits to laypeople. Surprisingly or not, but when advocated in a reasonable manner, a lot of people turn in favor of psychedelic use in a medical/therapeutic context, which actually is a more common reason for use among "recreational" users, compared to weed. Not to downplay the medical benefits of cannabis, but still a lot of people just smoke to get baked. Not so much the case with psychedelics; maybe a bit more with MDMA.

The largest problem as far as the views of the average Joe on drugs go, I think is convincing people that recreational drug use (of those other than alcohol, nicotine or caffeine) as long as it doesn't directly harm anybody, is not a bad thing; and honestly not anyone's but the person's business. The hypocrisy of the thinking that it's OK to have a beer or 6 after a work day in the comfort of one's home, but a grave offence to smoke a joint or partake in some other drug, while being otherwise a law-abiding and productive member of society, is a big problem IMO; but it's also something that has to change before we can start thinking about legalizing and regulating all drugs. It's another example of the "us and them" mentality, that "good people" may drink alcohol, but anyone who chooses to unwind using other substances is sub-human.

Strangely enough, many politicians start fighting the War on Drugs after they leave office. There are examples in many countries, and the whole advisory board of the Global Commission on Drugs is filled with them. While in office, it's not seen as a priority or a popular stance. And when they're out of power, they try to do what they can. It's nice, but very unfortunate at the same time.

I really recommend the book, Chasing the Scream for a history of the War on Drugs.

Decriminalizing all drugs means that you also have to recognize addiction (which will always be a reality for a certain percentage of drug users) as both a physical and mental health problem; one which will have to be addressed not as criminality but as a complex condition that needs treatment (social, medical and often psychological). If, as in America, you have no affordable health care you have no system to turn to--thus we lock people up and make their lives so miserable that the original problem (if there even was one) is horribly compounded and further poverty is assured. Portugal decriminalized everything over a decade ago. It has been a success. Yet, our country, that claims to be looking for solutions, prefers to incarcerate and demonize drug sellers (especially) and even the most casual drug user. Without a complete transference of everything we spend to incarcerate going to what would be needed for national single payer healthcare, that includes mental health care, nothing can change.

I am hopeful that the rest of the world is waking up to the sham of the War on Drugs. I am not so hopeful about my own country which started the travesty in the first place. Add to the accepted War on Drugs insanity the extra layer of craziness that is the non-stigmatized legal (and very profitable!) Big Pharma drug blitz on the nation and you have a population that has trouble thinking about anything. We make good sheep.:(

The ship has pretty much sailed in regards to cannabis policy in the USA. Large swathes of the American West have legal recreational marijuana, including the entire west coast.

Perhaps more significantly, I don't really view marijuana reform as a "partisan issue" any more...they looked at very conservative counties in places like Florida, which went for Trump in numbers over 70, even 80 percent, and a majority of these same counties were voting in favor of legislation allowing either medical or recreational cannabis. They posted an article on Leafly about this which I found quite interesting, and confirmed my own beliefs that the American public has, IN GENERAL, become jaded after decades of a pointless & unwinnable war being fought against a plant.

I would argue that a statement like "good people don't smoke marijuana", in a society where 1 of 2 people admits to consuming it at least once, is the real sentiment that's withering...the pro-reform movement is on the offensive in this country...and the issue of cannabis doesn't exist in isolation, it is very much linked to reform of other drug laws as well. It's linked to interdiction budgets getting slashed, task forces being disbanded, drug offenders being released from prison, etc. You have the president of the United States admitting that the "war on drugs" is a deeply flawed and historically racist endeavor! The executive branch talking about the war on drugs in such a way decades ago would've been unthinkable.

The momentum is on our side and we are winning. There is still a huge amount to do.

Rodrigo Duterte’s statements suggest he’s battled an addiction to painkillers

RODRIGO Duterte has once again admitted to abusing a powerful opioid drug.

Addressing a crowd in Davao City on Friday, the controversial Philippines leader admitted that he used the pain relief drug fentanyl, saying it made him feel like he was on “cloud nine”.

For the past two months, the President has been plagued by questions over whether his use of the drug constitutes “addiction”, with ongoing calls for the leader to release his health records.

Mr Duterte, 71, has been dubbed “The Punisher” for his brutal crackdown on drug addicts and criminals in the Philippines.

Police have reported killing more than 2500 people they accused of being drug suspects, while nearly 4000 others have died in unexplained circumstances amid the crackdown.

Amid reports on his painkiller addiction, the leader has been called out on the irony of his drug crackdown.

IS THE PUNISHER ADDICTED TO PAINKILLERS?

In his Davao address last week, Mr Duterte explained that he was prescribed fentanyl due to a severe spinal injury.

He said he was injured in a motorcycle accident three years prior, when he was 68 years old.

“I am perpetually in pain,” he told the crowd, in a video broadcast by Filipino television network ABS-CBN.

“The doctor stopped (prescribing fentanyl) because he got mad. I’m supposed to cut it into four pieces,” he said, suggesting he used the drug beyond the medically-advised dosage.

“More than just the disappearance of pain, you feel that you are on cloud nine,” he said. “Everything is okay with the world, nothing to worry about.”

Mr Duterte has flip-flopped under previous pressure over the extent to which he used the painkiller.

In December last year, he first revealed that he used the drug.

Even then, he admitted his doctor instructed him to stop using it upon learning that he was “abusing the drug” by using more than the prescribed dosage.

5ba55f0a8daf56a41388084f733f44d4

But the president has denied that he was addicted.

At a subsequent news conference in Singapore, a BBC reporter asked Mr Duterte how he justifies his war on drugs when he himself was “highly dependent on drugs”.

“I’m not an addict,” he responded. “Only when it is prescribed. Addiction is only with regularity, my friend.”

The president said the drug was regulated in the Philippines, with doctors monitoring those who used it to prevent the risk of addiction.

He told the reporter: “When you take it and there’s a monkey on your back, that’s addiction. You know what? I’ll give you an idea, nicotine is an addictive element. It’s more than … worse than the medications you take for your headache.”

Attempting to justify his use of the substance, he said: “You must know that I have a headache, because I had a bad spill and my — And may I show it to you? This is the cause. So, I have intermittent … but I take the (drug), for my migraine.”

He went on to compare it favourably to smoking cigarettes.

“Smoking? That’s far worse. You ask any … it’s far worse than … Nicotine is an addictive form and it has — but since it was there a century, two centuries ago, nobody can stop it.”

DUTERTE URGED TO RELEASE HEALTH RECORDS

Politicians have urged Mr Duterte to undergo a medical examination, and disclose the results to silence questions over his drug use.

“To end this speculation, it would be better if his physician explains how the president manages the pain that he suffers,” his ally, congressman Carlos Zarate said.

Meanwhile Senator Leila de Lima, one of the leader’s most vocal critics, echoed calls for him to disclose his health condition.

“It is not just the illness itself that we should be worried about, but also the impact or side effects that the medications he is taking may have, especially on his lucidity and ability to make decisions with a clear mind,” she said.

In a statement, Ms De Lima said his drug use had driven him to “madness”.

“Duterte should stop taking Fentanyl because obviously it has already driven him to madness and to fits of paranoia where everyone he sees is either a drug addict or a drug lord,” she said.

“Mr President, stop abusing drugs so for even one single second you can experience a lucid interval and discover how crazy this drug war witch-hunting has become.

“At least I, whom he recklessly and wrongly accuses as a narco-politician, haven’t taken a single addictive drug in my life, while he who runs amok and froths in the mouth like a rabid animal has the temerity to make up a list, when he should be on the top of that list.”

Another critic, Senator Antonio Trillanes, said the Punisher “qualified as a drug addict” based on his admission.

He ended up denying the whole thing, according to the Agence France-Presse.

“Fools, I just made up that story and you believed it,” he reportedly said, in contradiction to his more recent speech in Davao.

There are ongoing concerns for Mr Duterte’s physical health.

He has repeatedly denied rumours that he is suffering from cancer. Last month, it was speculated he visited a cancer hospital in China during a five-day hiatus last month.

Presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella denied the rumours, saying Mr Duterte did not leave the country at that time.

The leader has previously admitted to suffering from migraines, spinal problems and Buerger’s disease, a cardiovascular illness typically associated with smoking.

At the age of 71, Mr Duterte is the oldest president to ever assume the presidency in the Philippines.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

Duterte is the most vile type of hypocrite ever to walk this earth; and the power which has been granted to him as President of The Philippines by voters has come back to bite many of them in the rear as loved ones who've never consumed any illicit substances before have been gunned down in cold blood nonetheless.

Adopting a populist narrative has given walking, talking contradictions like him and Trump the opportunity to fully-embrace their fascist inclinations, and the cost to the rights and quality of life of the average citizen may very well turn out to be utterly-devastating once all is said and done.

Considering the access to information, I find it sad how easy it remains to fool so many voters into believing that a polished turd is their salvation.