• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prescription Amphetamines for Depression?

kittyman96

Greenlighter
Has anyone tried using anything like adderal or vyvanse for depression. Been on a couple meds that haven't done shit, and I feel like I am getting worse. The problem for me would be getting them prescribed because my pdoc knows I abused the ridiculous amount of benzos they prescribed me (which I just got off). Any advice? Any experience?

I'm in the same situation. Try Wellbutrin. There prolly going to go down the list of every SSRI and SNRI before they think about a amph but even then it looks like it may not happen since you abused benzo said. I felt like nothing was working. I am getting worse but I'm going to be honest with my pdoc and say I used meth for three weekends and it made me focused and tired. I was not depressed not due to the high but that my thoughts could be put in the right place and think straight for once. When your totally honest they may say well Wellbutrin maybe work but I doubt there going to give you or me Addrall which is highly addictive. Good luck.

It's not a valid treatment for depression and your Doctor is negligent if he prescribes it to an addict.

The way amphetamines work will make your depression FAR worse in the long run.

Try talk therapy.

It's not a valid treatment for depression and your Doctor is negligent if he prescribes it to an addict.

The way amphetamines work will make your depression FAR worse in the long run.

Try talk therapy.

this.

chronic use of amps will definitely lead to long term problems in terms of serotonin and dopamine regulation, i'd say.

not to suggest you self medicate but there were some studies suggesting that ketamine in controlled small doses is more effective than antidepressants because of its instant effect.

i'd still stand by the fact that i will not take any drug under medical supervision but maybe this new treatment can prove to be effective if its soon approved.

though, i'd still think ketamine at some point given to the wrong minds may lead to long term dissociative disorders - i pulled that idea out of my ass, however.

Sometimes amps are prescribed off-label for treatment resistant depression, esp. depression marked by lethargy. For a certain amount of patients who find it a struggle to even get out of bed, low doses of amp salts may be beneficial. It's not something you should try if you have a predisposition towards abusing substances, though, because abuse of dopaminergic drugs is a recipe for worsening depression.

I am not looking for a long term use of it, just something to help pick me up while I try and figure out other meds