• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Prescribed lorazepam, addicted, and took too much extra so i cant get my script fill

nancy145

Bluelighter
*filled, ran out of room for the title. I'm prescribed lorazepam, 2.5 mg a night, and took a lot of extra lorazepam from the bottle. The pharmacy wont fill my script for about a week, and I only have a couple pills left. What should I do? I've been rationing it out for the past 2 days since i found out i wasn't gonna have enough, taking 1 mg per night, but I'm already in minor withdrawal. Does anyone have any better advice? I need help.

EDIT: I found the bottles and it turns out the was an entire bottle of .5 mg pills, and he was just telling me we ran out of the 2 mg pills. Thank god.
I'm prescribed 1 2mg pill and 1 0.5mg pill per night which is why there's 2 different bottles
and my dad changed the hiding spot after he noticed some missing.
Lesson learned-don't take extra pills from the bottle if they're addictive.

Last edited:
I don't know enough to tell you anything but benzo w/d is not something to be taken likely. pehaps go to a walkin clinic or hospital ?

How many pills exactly do you have left and how many days until you can fill? Other than doing what you are doing, you can humble yourself before your doctor and maybe get a few days worth of diazepam or clonazepam or something. If not, the above advice is sound.

^ that

sorry buddy, either white-knuckle it or do the appointment of shame.

How many pills exactly do you have left and how many days until you can fill?
Not sure exactly, my dad hides the bottle now and didn't tell me exactly how much is left or when he can get the refill.

How do you get extra if your dad is hiding the bottle

I'm going assume that his dad cut off the supply once he realized the abuse was taking place.

OP, your best option is going to a doctor and explaining your situation.

It's simple. When you're prescribed a controlled substance it MUST LAST at least X amount of days...usually 28-30.

When I take extra Vicodin, I pay the price for 2 weeks out of every month.

I think you'll find out soon enough that Ativan is a rather lousy drug of abuse(especially long term...sheesh), and you'll probably eventually deem it not even worth the time or money for the Dr.'s appointment.

How long have you been taking the Ativan now?

Old enough to buy booze?

You should be fine assuming you haven't been taking it for 6 months+....even if you did though, 1mg a day is plenty to prevent any physical withdrawals unless you have some kinda 12-24mg habit a day...which would be insane.

Good luck, tough it out i'm sure it's just a few days..

Call your p doc and explain. That shit happened to me also. It's easy IMO, with that benzodiazepine. Oops, right? Don't get yourself cut off though. It depends on what kind of relationship you have with your doctor.^^ If you stay away from stimulants, Drink some herbal tea like chamomile, take some valerian root if need be. You can get by on 1mg a day. Most importantly, learn your lesson.

Any updates ?

How many pills do you have left now ?

If you don't have enough go to the ER as benzo withdrawal is no joke.
And you should really think about a taper, you're too young for a benzo addiction

OP: I feel your pain. I always do that to myself too with my klonopin script. End up taking too many at first then running either completely out and hating my life or running super low like 1/6 of the dose I normally take a day for usually the 5 days more or less before I get my refill. It really sucks I have been taking benzos for like 4 years daily now and when I don't have enough I get super edgy and have bad anxiety attacks and shit. I have learned over time to not do this the best I can and control myself better, but still its not easy for me. I have on many occasions given the pills to one of my parents to hold for me because I have fucked up bad taking too many too early so many times.

I used to have this problem. I got off benzo's and onto gabapentin. No more urges to use my script up in the first 20 days. Works just as well for me if not better in some ways.

I have to slightly disagree that 1 mg per day could cover your WD or other peoples Ativan WD's. I have known and watched clients phish out during benzo tapering from dropping just a few mg of Ativan at a time over a few days. Thankfully your time using these sedatives is likely shorter then most and 1 mg or even 0.5 mg could hold you until you get a refill. Man at this point if it was me i would switch to something a bit longer acting. This gave me less of an urge to re-dose above the guidelines.

So in other words OP, you shouldn't have a problem. Remember, a little discomfort, isn't bad. A whole lot and any feelings of possible seizure requires you to call 911,take yourself to the hospital or at the minimum call a nurse advice line through your local hospital.

This has been covered well, but there may be some more great suggestions out there, so open we shall stay.