• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Preparing lorazepam for injection.

JohnMonsour

Greenlighter
Just curious. I have been injected with lorazepam in the emergency room for agitation from benzodiazepine withdrawal. And I swore it had to be soluble in water but it isn't to my dismay. I learned that midazolam is the only water soluble benzo. So my question is: how exactly do the hospitals have ampule upon ampule of this benzodiazepine. I know they are produced in high tech labs and formulated by chemists. There has to be a method to safely prepare lorazepam for intervenious use. We just need the chemistry procedure they use to make the amps for IV use in an emergency setting. And also I have a question. Since the ratios of solubility for lorazepam are best yielded using ethyl alcohol like "ETHYL ALCOHOL DENATURED 200 PROOF" and water at a 50/50 ratio of distilled sterile water and use according to the solubility ratio quoted from above: "n water with 60% ethanol: ~17mg/ml" that allows for minimal alcohol use for highest mg yield per ml of liquid. It says 60% but in my opinion 100% ethyl alcohol would allow you to use roughly 40% less alcohol per ml. Alcohol and water evaporate at room temperature. I don't know the boiling point that would destroy the dissolved lorazepam. But medium heat such as 120° to 150° should be adequate to evaporate the water and alcohol solution leaving behind pure dissolved lorazepam that would be a white crystalline powder. My question is: could you take that powdered lorazepam since it's already been dissolved in a solution and add it to 1 ml of sterile water. Since it's already been solulated into a pure form that would be soluble in sterile water especially if you vigorously shake the prepared solution. Or would it just be straight pure lorazepam and still insoluble in an aqueous solution. Just a thought.

in order to inject painless the solution must have the same pH and solute concentration of blood, anyway the salt form of lorazepam is more soluble than the freebase and suitable for IV...about 3 years ago they gave me IV chlorpromazine and i immediately fall asleep, woke up the next morning at the hospital and went back to my house %) happy that now i'm more chill =D

Okay. So would the method I posted be the freebase form of lorazepam. And could a pH solution be probable with photos strips by creating a solution with vinegar and ammonia in miniscule ammounts?

There is no such thing as a salt of lorazepam. It doesn't have a basic nitrogen that will form a salt.

Most benzodiazepines are not water soluble but can be dissolved in solutions containing propylene glycol and/or polyethylene glycol.

So this reduction method would just evaporate with the alcohol and water and not form a crystalline powder on the pyrex?

You will definitely fuck something up as I'm sorry to say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Go read the basics of chemistry in a high school or university text book.

Midazolam and flurazepam will dissolve in water.

Pure crystals or not if it isn't very water soluble it won't dissolve in 1ml.

My question is: could you take that powdered lorazepam since it's already been dissolved in a solution and add it to 1 ml of sterile water.

This sounds as bad science as saying that if you add arsenic in a water and then take arsenic out of the water that water would have healing properties since the water remembers having arsenic in it.

Why there isn't any homeopathic heroin or benzos :p

Just to clarify, the benzodiazepines that do dissolve in water are actually not in their normal imine form, but exist in the pre-ketone and amine form, and the amine is protonated as a salt allowing it to dissolve.

There is no such thing as a salt of lorazepam. It doesn't have a basic nitrogen that will form a salt.

Most benzodiazepines are not water soluble but can be dissolved in solutions containing propylene glycol and/or polyethylene glycol.

my bad i thought that the imine was protonated but it's not the case... anyway it has a basic nitrogen but i figure that pH would be too low and possibly break down the ring via hydrolysis of the amide?

my bad i thought that the imine was protonated but it's not the case... anyway it has a basic nitrogen but i figure that pH would be too low and possibly break down the ring via hydrolysis of the amide?

It is possible for imines to be protonated. They are much less basic than normal aliphatic amines (their lone pair is in an sp2 orbital which is lower in energy than an sp3 lone pair), tending to have a pKa of around 7, but if they are protonated this is going to make them much more susceptible to hydrolysis.

yes and the aromatic residues further lowers basicity but i mean is still a basic nitrogen and will form a salt with and acid strong enough

The answer is simple. They inject it in a pgp/propylene glycol solution. You fan also use ethanol alcohol but that is bad for your veins. I have done it on many occasions though.

It is a cyclic imine, so under acidic conditions the ring will reversibly open via protonation of the imine resulting in an open-chain amine or rather aminium ion.

The answer is simple. They inject it in a pgp/propylene glycol solution. You fan also use ethanol alcohol but that is bad for your veins. I have done it on many occasions though.

This, lorazepam for injection is not 100% aqueous.

Also, do not use denatured alcohol for preparing things for ingestion. Most denatured alcohol has (in addition to a dye) two things in it. One (methanol) to poison and either permanently blind or kill the most truly, truly desperate, sick, malnourished and destitute alcoholics who might drink it; in order to further and facilitate governmental. monetary extortion and the other (pyridine) to give it a truly gutwrenching stench. The methanol and EtOH can of course be evaporated away, but traces of pyridine you don't want hanging around, and making everything smell abominable. Whilst levels of pyridine added to governmentally-poisoned alcohol are quite lot, its just not something which even if it does no harm, that you would wish to taste when you shoot a preparation.

idk about lorazepam, but nifoxipam hcl will dissolve in water if the ph is low enough and while I haven't injected it (didn't have a micron filter) the nasal spray was painless so I assume that the solution could be injected

Loprazolam is what he is looking for it dissolves readily in water and I went through a pack in a matter of. Hours