• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Preparing For Mild Oxycodone Withdraw - Need Advice

bluesteyes

Bluelighter
I am unfortunately running low on a 10mg/325mg script of oxycodone that I cannot get a new script for until early June. Part of the reason I am running low is that I have foolishly used some of the tablets for the purposes of getting high. I am supposed to take 3 tablets, 3 times per day. Two or three times per week I will take 5 or 6 tablets at one sitting in order to get euphoria. Frustrating thing is, there are times when I do this, and I won’t get high at all. So I have decided to stop using this medication for anything other than what it is prescribed for.

Nonetheless, because I am running low, I want to get off the percs as an everyday medication this weekend. I know I will going to through some slight withdrawals, which might appear like nothing compared to what others on this board have experienced. The main thing that I notice when I take the percs away – and this is especially the case in the morning – is that I become very agitated and irritable. I simply don't want to be around other people. It’s agonizing. I cannot even listen to music. All I want to do is stay in bed. Percs actually have a slight stimulating effect on me. They make it a bit easier to get on with the day....even if I don't sleep well the previous night.

I also tend to sweat (not a lot), and I occasionally will develop what I could best describe as restless leg syndrome, but it’s really more like restless body syndrome. I just cannot sit still. Obviously, there are some feelings of hopelessness and grief, but not too bad. Fortunately I experience no nausea, runny nose, shakes, diarrhea or any other major withdrawal symptoms.

In essence, it’s just a dang unpleasant feeling for a few days.

Nonetheless, I need to go through it. I live alone, and have no plans this weekend. I just need to do laundry on site, and buy some food at the grocery store. The rest of the time I can just stay in bed (if I want to). I may just try to do the grocery shopping on Friday night, so I can avoid people the whole weekend. Might try to take a couple of long walks.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations for how to handle minor withdrawals symptoms from opiates?? I have a Lorazepam script that might help a bit. I also have a Zofran script, but as I said earlier, I tend to not get nausea. I have a bunch of bottles of alkaline water I can drink from. Any other recommended supplementation, food, or drink? I have stay away from sugar. Ideally I would have 4 days off from work, but I need to get the job done in 2 days and just tough the rest of the days out at work. At the level I am at, I find the first two days to be the worst, anyway.

I’ve done this before….just trying to figure out a better way of doing it. Thanks for your advice.

Hey Blue. The lorazepam will definitely help with the anxiety, the legs and help you sleep, especially if you don't take it on a regular basis. Just don't take it too long because benzo addiction is a bitch. Drink lots of water and eat, even if your appetite is poor. When you get your new script, just be careful taking too many cuz the Tylenol in them can really mess up your liver. I knew a guy that went into liver failure after taking 7 Percs at once. I think they say 6 tylenols in 24 hours is the max. Good luck, you can do this.

What I have done the past few days is cut out the "euphoria" doses.....the kind where I do 5 or 6 pills at a time. Right now I am just using the meds as prescribed. Three 10MG pills, 3 times per day. I am going to taper down to 5MG if I can, but it's really hard for me to do these things in the work environment. Especially when I am constantly around people, and sitting at a computer all day. The "Mouse Hand" syndrome tends to aggravate my pain condition.

I agree with the Lorazepam thing. I may up my usage while I am off the percs, but then go back down immediately once the perc withdrawals die down.

A small benzo, some gabapentin, and try some kratom.
Kratom will help a lot when it comes to combating withdrawals.

Zofran will potentiate the percs to some degree so I would fill it, ration out your percs as suggested already, and take them together to get the most out of each dose. If you are worried about the lorazepam then it's good you don't start. It's one of the mildest benzos but it's more important to stay on track. If you are able to split the pills into quarters and take say a 7.5mg dose I doubt you will notice much difference especially with zofran on board.

I get the sense that the biggest hurdle is going to be psychological. I am now into my 4th month of taking these things. I have had 3 or 4 breaks of 7 days or more where I haven't taken a single pill. So I know what it is like to be without them, but the deeper you go, the harder it is to extract yourself.

But as person who suffers from depression (not severe) and generalized anxiety disorder, these pills are amazing....plus they kill off the chronic physical pain I suffer from. There are ways for me to deal with the physical pain that is going to return. It's inconvenient, but I can wear my EMPI TENS unit electrodes all day. I'll look funny at work, but it "distracts" the pain. I also have compound pain creams that take the edge off. Lorazepam helps if I have a really bad muscle spasm, but I try to not take benzos every day because I am aware of their dangers.

I eventually want to get off the percs for good because they are hell on my stomach. I have IBS as it is. My doctors are going to work with me to find another way to deal with this pain that I am in, but some tests and appointments need to happen first. It's going to take a few weeks.

In withdrawal right now.. waiting for a batch of poppy seeds to come in.. what is the best kratom strain for withdrawl? Looking for calming pain relief so I can sleep tonight. Thanks

I get the sense that the biggest hurdle is going to be psychological. I am now into my 4th month of taking these things. I have had 3 or 4 breaks of 7 days or more where I haven't taken a single pill. So I know what it is like to be without them, but the deeper you go, the harder it is to extract yourself.

But as person who suffers from depression (not severe) and generalized anxiety disorder, these pills are amazing....plus they kill off the chronic physical pain I suffer from. There are ways for me to deal with the physical pain that is going to return. It's inconvenient, but I can wear my EMPI TENS unit electrodes all day. I'll look funny at work, but it "distracts" the pain. I also have compound pain creams that take the edge off. Lorazepam helps if I have a really bad muscle spasm, but I try to not take benzos every day because I am aware of their dangers.

I eventually want to get off the percs for good because they are hell on my stomach. I have IBS as it is. My doctors are going to work with me to find another way to deal with this pain that I am in, but some tests and appointments need to happen first. It's going to take a few weeks.
Yes! I know EXACTLY what you mean. I think regardless the psychological is the worst aspect and really exacerbates physical symptoms (if there are any and if there aren't well it makes it anxiety inducing waiting to see if there are). I used to use TENS units and after years in pain management finally got to have a spinal cord stimulator, which is the internal version of those. It requires a trial prior and parts replacements via surgery years later but was worth it for me. It doesn't totally eliminate and if pain is bad it is almost an aggravation to use but it is more discreet and helps with the distraction aspect as well as the RLS I get from occasional meds.

In withdrawal right now.. waiting for a batch of poppy seeds to come in.. what is the best kratom strain for withdrawl? Looking for calming pain relief so I can sleep tonight. Thanks

Reds are always sedating.
Bali are the most 'opiate' like.
So I would suggest Red Bali

Last night I took 15MG of Percocet at around 6pm. I was in pain after a chiropractic adjustment. At 6am this morning, I had major restless leg syndrome. Really, I had major restless body syndrome. I just kept tossing and turning, and I couldn't stop it. So I took 15MG of Percocet, and the restlessness and agitation calmed down about 40 minutes later.

In addition to the psychological hurdles, I think this early morning restlessness and agitation is going to be my biggest problem. Hence, the reason why I am going to wait until this weekend to stop taking the Percocets. Unfortunately, I do not have enough tablets to do a proper weaning down. I am just going to have to stop. Luckily I am not taking a lot, so the withdrawal shouldn't be too bad.

I am going to have some Benadryl and Lorazepam on my night stand for Saturday morning. Maybe a couple of Benadryl and one 1MG Lorazepam tablet will calm down the restlessness and agitation. At least I hope. I plan on just being in bed all weekend. I'll do my grocery shopping on Friday night. I might even buy some beer, even though I don't regularly drink. But I will have lots of bottles of alkaline water on hand.

The restlessness comes because it's the opposite of being on an opiate--where you can relax and feel no pain or uncomfortableness.

I know exactly what you mean about the energy, that was always what I liked about oxycodone. Incidentally if Percocet bothers your stomach due to the APAP, they do have the pills that have only the active ingredient (oxycodone), but when taken for pain the APAP synergizes and provides better pain relief which is why doctors prefer to give Percocet as opposed to 5 mg oxycodone (minus APAP).

Anyway. At the minor wd level you have (more annoying/uncomfortable than vicious wd), the BEST thin you can do on those off days is force yourself to exercise until you're exhausted. Don't just take "a little stroll". Go take a good hours walk at a decent pace. Or whatever you like to do, but work up a sweat. It would have 2 benefits--one that your brain will start producing its own endorphins (ENDogeneous mORPHINe), and the second benefit is that you'll sleep/be able to lay down without the toss and turn restless body.

Keep in mind any pain even "normal" aches and pains are magnified when coming off an opioid. Last time I came off I had pain in my tailbone from a snowboarding falling years ago. I haven't felt that pain in years. I couldn't sit for longer than a half hour without agony. I took ibuprofen daily and after maybe 3 weeks it faded back to normal.

If I were you I would make sure to hydrated. Eat small meals during the day. Get out and exercise and move all day. Then at night you'll collapse into bed and sleep. Use the benzo before bed to knock you out

Alternatively, you could dose enough benzo to knock yourself out for a few days. I think the easiest wd I ever did was in detox where they kept giving me phenobarbital every 8 hrs. I was dopey, disoriented, could barely walk down the hall, but I was not sick at all and I slept like a rock for 3 days. It was kind of funny after I appeared in the day room of the detox on the 4th day. People were like "where did you come from" lol.

You're not on enough to have a brutal wd, so in your case mind over matter will be a big part of it. Just remember, a lot of it is how you approach wd. If you're like "no big deal, I'll just feel a little crappy for a few days and in a week I'll feel so much better" it'll go easy. If you're like "omg this sucks i feel like crap. I need a pill. I'm sick ..." Then you'll have a long drawn out few days. A lot of people say they kicked easier in jail--and I kind of agree--cause you just can't get your drug so you just deal.

Good luck to you. Find a good book or something to lose yourself in, and just remember --its only a few days--

Hey Blue. The lorazepam will definitely help with the anxiety, the legs and help you sleep, especially if you don't take it on a regular basis. Just don't take it too long because benzo addiction is a bitch. Drink lots of water and eat, even if your appetite is poor. When you get your new script, just be careful taking too many cuz the Tylenol in them can really mess up your liver. I knew a guy that went into liver failure after taking 7 Percs at once. I think they say 6 tylenols in 24 hours is the max. Good luck, you can do this.
Hmm, my liver is completely fucked in that case

Well....I already did, but the Hylands product just cost me $7 at Walgreens. So I didn't spend too much money on it.

I am trying to look at the positive in this. While it will suck to be without painkillers between May 21-June 5, that should give me a nice window to drive my tolerance level down a little. At least I hope. I would like to get back to taking 5MG Oxycodone tablets, and only use 10MG for truly nasty, breakthrough pain. I swear....I will never, ever, ever again use these meds for the purposes of getting high again.

Yes, I know others have said that before :)

I guess you should also think about if the oxycodone is doing anything at all for your pain. If you can get through few weeks and the pain isn't intolerable why shouldn't you quit altogether?

For me oxycodone didn't kill the pain but it fucked me up enough to not be thinking the pain and I have learned to cope with the pain with meditation and switching to Lyrica.

I tried taking Lyrica a couple of years ago, and it just made me completely sedated and stoned. This was particularly disconcerting at work and while driving machinery. I am also paranoid about gaining weight on it (I really need to drop 15 pounds), as well as fluid retention. A friend of a friend had her ankles swell up on Lyrica so badly that she couldn't walk. On the other hand, I know other people who take Lyrica and who don't have these side effects.

As I discussed in the mental health forum, I also suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and depression (in between mild and severe). Doctors over the years have tried to get me to use various antidepressant meds (Prozac, Zoloft, Viibryd, Effexor, Lexapro, Paxil, etc.), and every single one of them - even at low doses - made me feel like I was on four doses of Sudafed. They make me feel like I am on speed or something. I get wired, agitated, impatient, develop shaking hands, etc. Viibyrd, for instance, kept me up 48 hours straight. Moreover, the antidepressant meds have a habit of stripping the saliva straight from my mouth. This is troubling because I have taken Ditropan in the past for my bladder issues, and my dry mouth issues were so bad that I got several dental cavities. I should note that multiple doctors have said that they do not feel and I am bi polar manic depressive. It is common for bi polar people to feel super wired on SSRI's and such.

However, one of the things I am going to consider is combining Lyrica with an antidepressant with a low side effect profile like Lexapro with the idea that maybe their side effects will cancel each other other out. That the Lyrica will slow down the amped up feeling I get from the antidepressants, and the antidepressant will give me more energy and alertness that Lyrica takes away. I am going to discuss it with my doctor next week, and possibly a psychiatrist. As for the possible weight gain and fluid retention.....I'll just have to risk it I guess. There is only so much I can do for the dry mouth issues. I used dry mouth gel, sipped water all day, etc., and I still got cavities.

As for getting back on Oxycodone....one would hope that I won't take more of my prescription than what is prescribed, so that when I do come off it, I can go through a proper tapering schedule.

Last edited:
Well....I already did, but the Hylands product just cost me $7 at Walgreens. So I didn't spend too much money on it.

I am trying to look at the positive in this. While it will suck to be without painkillers between May 21-June 5, that should give me a nice window to drive my tolerance level down a little. At least I hope. I would like to get back to taking 5MG Oxycodone tablets, and only use 10MG for truly nasty, breakthrough pain. I swear....I will never, ever, ever again use these meds for the purposes of getting high again.

Yes, I know others have said that before :)
If only I had a buck for every time I said that before...

Took my last perc at 5:20pm this evening. It's nearly 11pm, and I can already feel the agitation and restlessness coming on. Drinking a beer right now to ease my itch......probably will take a big hit of Nyquil to snooze tonight. Thank God I don't have to go to work tomorrow. I can stay in bed all day if I want. And Sunday as well....although I will try to get out and do a couple of long walks.

I really wouldn't stay in bed. That just gives you the opportunity to think about how miserable you are, how you'll never do this again, etc. At least go sit somewhere. Binge watch TV. Read a book. Play on the internet. Distract your mind. Go for a gentle walk, if that's all you can manage. Drink water or other hydrating fluids. One of the worst things you can do during WDs is let your mind dwell on it.