• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Prep or Truvada should be considered carefully before use

So basically you're saying we can't trust any data. But we can trust your "friends" opinions. Right.

I'm not gay or a man, so I can accept there's probably a lot I don't know about the community. But I DO know the heroin user community. And seeing that you don't believe in the harm reduction benefit of clean syringe access either. Something I know is good because of both data and experience.

Well it tells me I can't trust your judgement regarding prep and the gay community either.

Anyway I'm done. I won't be replying beyond this. I'd like to see this thread closed and I don't wish to contribute to keeping it open with my presence.
Maybe your junkie friends and you exchange needles, or go to safe injection sites that is nice that you do this...but in reality the majority of IV drug users both in Australia and worldwide do not do this or utilise these resources and needles get shared.

After closing this thread temporarily to review policies and guidelines it is clear that nobody is transgressing any rules in this conversation. So it has been opened again. However, it is opened with the request that people making claims against established medical practice or medications do so on the basis of their personal experience and if possible draw on quality reputable analysis or data if encouraging people to take an alternative path. We would also request that hyperbole be kept to a minimum (for example 'toxic' would be considered hyperbole as it was originally used in this thread.

We appreciate the reports of those who were unhappy that the thread was closed. You can see that the report function works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing adult men on websites born in the late 1980s-early 2000s who are HIV POZ. :( I am guessing they do not remember the fear all through the 1980s and even very early 1990s with bisexual and gay men dying from HIV/AIDS, being infected and then next thing you heard they were dead.

HIV/AIDS is not a super fast death sentence, but it is only like this if the medications work or keep working for the person who is HIV+ or who has AIDS. The medications can be super expensive and they all have not so fun short and long-term side effects, and burn out from the meds is possible, or people skip meds despite how they are supposed to take them daily.

I have friends who are HIV+ and they have had it since the late 1970s, and early-mid 1980s. They only have sex with other men who are also HIV+ and they have safer sex using condoms for anal sex since two HIV+ people having unsafe sex messes up both people's medications from working, or from working as effectively, reinfection with the original strain or new strains is possible.

I do not like the people who oddly enough celebrate being HIV+ or almost brag about it, or act as though it is no big deal or completely normal if you are a bisexual or gay man, IV drug user, etc.

This idea that everyone on Prep is getting a sexual health check every three months is ridiculous. The majority of people aren't out to their doctor and don't want their sexuality, or STD tests on their medical record.

Most of the guys I know on Prep get it online and don't ever have health checks. It's cheaper online and people do not have to go to clinics/labs, get tested, wait for results, etc. but who knows what's in it, or if it's really Truvada? A lot of them only take it either side of the weekend to cut down on cost, or they completely forget to take it.

It's just a nightmare waiting to happen.

I do not like the people who oddly enough celebrate being HIV+ or almost brag about it, or act as though it is no big deal or completely normal if you are a bisexual or gay man, IV drug user, etc.

Hey at least theyre staying positive about it 🤷

Sorry couldn't resist these edibles commanded me to make that joke

I assume having unprotected sex with anyone without contracting HIV themselves is never going to be possible but these drugs are the closest thing to that since the late 70's.

Young gay men wouldn't have been around when the epidemic swept over the world and the fear of AIDS was far more tangible.

It really affected the way gay men were seen I think, fear of the disease creates fear of the male gay community.

It must be some kind of relief or a weight lifted to be able to take the drugs and have the fear lifted.

Its probably what having the pill is like for women and not having the risk of pregnancy in a way.

Can you show an example of someone who had hiv but at undetectable levels infecting someone else?

I did some research on Google but couldn't find anything.

I don't see how you can blame the medicine for people's behavior though.
Google search of truvada, some stats in here

I recall Charlie Sheen saying he was on some new drug and his HIV status did not put any of the women he slept with in danger .

He knew he had HIV for ages, over a year, longer, and didn't feel the need to tell anyone.

Mind you, anyone who didnt use condoms with him is an idiot and pretty much a Darwin Honourable mention anyway.

The variance in effectiveness means transmission will occur, but hardly as much as without.

I doubt it would be possible to prove a transmission from an undetectable partner without a control group being followed around in person by a phlebotomuist and a crazy scientist with a clip board unless couples that only one has HIV are studied long term.

I doubt it would be possible to prove a transmission from an undetectable partner without a control group being followed around in person by a phlebotomuist and a crazy scientist with a clip board unless couples that only one has HIV are studied long term.

Well, it'd be hard to conclusively prove, but you could definitely show someone who had undetectable viral levels around the time they had sex that transmitted the virus, and from that determine that it's likely they transmitted it.

Though, I really doubt it's possible to pass it on if the levels are undetectable.

That said, it's still really dickish not to tell the person you're sleeping with you're HIV+, even if it's undetectable. That should be their risk to take. It's a shitty situation and I don't wanna suggest otherwise, but you should still disclose it.

Well, it'd be hard to conclusively prove, but you could definitely show someone who had undetectable viral levels around the time they had sex that transmitted the virus, and from that determine that it's likely they transmitted it.

Though, I really doubt it's possible to pass it on if the levels are undetectable.

That said, it's still really dickish not to tell the person you're sleeping with you're HIV+, even if it's undetectable. That should be their risk to take. It's a shitty situation and I don't wanna suggest otherwise, but you should still disclose it.

Yeah it is but its probably awkward to reveal things that might make impending coitus turn coitus interrupted.

I wouldn't know as am not gay not male but apparently having impulsive sex with someone that also wants impulsive sex happens a fair bit. The incentive to hide or lie happens between people who won't want anything to do with each other post coitus. One night stands arent around to face up to having infected someone.

STD'S don't really seem a bother anymore, syphilis coming back again is proof of that.

I like syphilis, its an interesting disease, T.palladium are so cute and all but would prefer not to host it, other people can go for it though.

I assume having unprotected sex with anyone without contracting HIV themselves is never going to be possible but these drugs are the closest thing to that since the late 70's.

Young gay men wouldn't have been around when the epidemic swept over the world and the fear of AIDS was far more tangible.

It really affected the way gay men were seen I think, fear of the disease creates fear of the male gay community.

It must be some kind of relief or a weight lifted to be able to take the drugs and have the fear lifted.

Its probably what having the pill is like for women and not having the risk of pregnancy in a way.
HIV/AIDS was around in the late and early 1970s, but it was extremely new and thought to be a 'cancer' or rare lethal strain of pneumonia, or a mysterious Sub-Saharan African or Haitian slimming disease caused by people using Amyl/Butyl-Nitrate or poppers and cocaine.

HIV/AIDS was around in the late and early 1970s, but it was extremely new and thought to be a 'cancer' or rare lethal strain of pneumonia, or a mysterious Sub-Saharan African or Haitian slimming disease caused by people using Amyl/Butyl-Nitrate or poppers and cocaine.

It would be the ultimate to many to not have the existence of AIDS/HIV right?

I mean, other STD are mostly not lethal, even if they are incurable like herpes.

Syphilis would have been the STD that would have been the scary death and shame thing prior to AIDS and that was the cross to bear for generations for women, prostitutes in particular. Men and the elite who died from tertiary syphilis were written up as death by other causes/mental illnesses, no one wanted to be a known carrier or sufferer.

So the reality is, gay people do seem to really like sex and a lot of it, probably have more encounters with strangers and also have more likelihood of having sex with an HIV pos that might know they have it or not.

Condoms really do fucking suck.

Sex feels good, impulsive need to have sex with a guy who also wants impulsive sex= possible "what the hell, its just one time", surely this prep shit is better than nothing?

Ive had impulsive unprotected impulsive sex with a whoremongering iv drug addict this week and I'm rather frigid, everyone does it and at least he has had a vasectomy.

Your worry is very sound and it is going to be a disaster for those who do not use it properly, but that really is on them mate.

I see the huge benefit for couples that are one positive one negative, no one would want to infect a loved one.

Anyway, your point is a decent one, adults have to learn the hard way that nothing is completely foolproof, just look after yourself thats all you can do.

Yeah, whoops, better get a blood test done.

I very rarely have coitus and only screw one guy, he is most def screwing around and injecting drugs (doesn't share needles though) .

Better to not bother at all.

Yeah, whoops, better get a blood test done.

I very rarely have coitus and only screw one guy, he is most def screwing around and injecting drugs (doesn't share needles though) .

Better to not bother at all.
Can you still have kids?

I doubt the consequences of unprotected sex being life and death (literally) is at the forefront of the brain of any horny person with a penis in their orifice 100% of the time.

^ Ahh, you're on one of those weird moods I C <3

well...got nothing else to add, there will probably be another deadly virus transmissible via sex eventually so enjoy it while you can (and get old and not really that into it anymore) :|