• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pregnant & on Opiates

Lupus_mama

Greenlighter
I went in for surgery and found out I am 6 weeks pregnant.
I am currently on fentanyl patches. I feel horrible and want off of them
I am allergic to something they make suboxone with and so my board of 8
doctors want me to STAY ON THE PATCHES! They are weary of subutex and methadone because of my adverse reaction to suboxone.
I feel like a monster for bringing a child into the world who has to go through NAS.
If I go to a hospital will they help me come off naturally with little to no harm on the baby?
I will go through hell and back for my baby, but I don't want to harm my child, or have the baby hurting AT ALL.
Help me and my baby!!!
i have plenty of patches and meds but as you can see I don't want to take them ��
i have seizures and heart trouble when I have to medically taper due to toxic high amounts to reset my system.
I'm in California if that helps too?

There is another mother dealing with oxy use that she can not quit until she gives birth. The baby will be weened off safely after pregnancy and the doctors will definitely be aware and manage the levels not to harm the baby. The best thing to do is not get down on yourself as it will be stressful for mommy and that is not good for the baby. The last thing you want is to have your baby withdraw in the womb. Just do what the doctors say. As the fetus develops it will consume more and more so don't be afraid if they want to increase your dose as they are taking all this into consideration.

Stay strong. You are an amazing woman for bringing life into this world through your struggle. I'll edit in a link to the other thread and the other pregnant moms profile so hopefully you both can connect, she can help you understand what you are going through, and in the end support one another via pm or whatnot. Also while some members here will be inconsiderate assholes saying you're horrible for what you are doing they are jealous that they don't get to use the drugs you do, feel you are a person that prevents them from using when in reality they make it harder for you to access legit medication, and too ignorant or dependant on weaker opiates and don't realize how lucky they are to not struggle with a fent dependency as you are..... The good thing is you won't struggle with pregnancy pains as much!

Edit: hope you're not in SF as I couldn't imagine struggling with you're struggling and even going around 7th and market or anywhere near there into the TL only to see all the junkies that remind you of opiate stigma. Just remember being dependent is not the same as being addicted like them shooting up 1-3 grams of the "tar" at a time just to feel well right on the sidewalks only to nod out with the needle still in bleeding where everyone can see as homelessness and drug abuse is so accepted accepted as commonplace in the city sadly. Even the cops do nothing except make sure they are not dying.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/780332-Pregnant-oxys-Please-please-help/?page=1

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/members/386716-M9o11u83se

Last edited:
It's a sad relief to hear I'm not alone, I would love to have the link to her thread.
What you said really lifted my heart. Dependency sucks, and so does the side effects~ grogginess, tiredness, tummy upset.
Its very strengthening on the mind to hear that I'm not the only one the doctors told this too, I thought it was because of my seizures/lupus/ spine disorder that they were advising to stay on my meds. Not because it's better for the baby, so that makes it easier to take.
Did the doctors say if the baby would be in pain when she is born? That would kill me inside. I'd rather take all the pain in the world then then see my baby suffer. Do I give the baby meds through my milk?
Thank you so much btw for your kind advice and support

I'm in the Temecula Wine Valley, I don't like cities haha I live in the country kind of.
Needles scare me!! So does taking too many meds, I've been brought back to life 4 times from heart attacks during seizures
life is so precious, that it would scare me to do what I watch some of my friends have done. I have bad anxiety and I'm that annoying friend that tries to coach there friends in the right direction. I have an older brother who was addicted to heroin and it broke my heart he didn't come to me sooner. I would have helped him and held him while he came clean. It took him almost losing his freedom and wife to finally stop. That stuff is scary. People don't realize that just because doctors prescribe these opiates doesn't make them any better or safer. I am on them so I am not in the hospital in level 10 pain. And plus the ER doctors give me that 8mg of dilauded when I'm there that makes me want to pass out and I feel like I can't breathe! So anything to keep me out of there and to keep them from sticking me with those god awful needles that they stick into my joints !

Damn I couldn't imagine being in your shoes and the decisions you are faced with.... I will be praying for you and your baby. IMO , I think you should switch to morphine if possible, I've heard of other pregnant women doing the same. I would think morphine would be easier to taper for the baby and the withdraw would be easier on him or her as well. Good luck!!! I'm sending prayers your way!!

I would say to follow the Doctor's advice. It can be just as stressful for the fetus to go through withdrawals in-utero as it is to do a hospital-monitored detox once the baby is born.

If you're in too much pain your body won't respond properly to pregnancy cues.

Opiates are different from other drugs in that they do not inherently damage the body. As much as it might seem wrong, your Doctor is taking everything into account, even though it's a difficult decision.

To answer the question does Fentanyl pass through the breast-milk, it does. And just from reading the three posts I've seen you wrote, you're going to be someone that this baby is going to look up to. But as tacodude said the doctors /are/ taking everything into consideration. The worst thing for your future child would be to go through withdrawal in the womb. And just hearing that you've been brought back to life four times... even if you're worried shitless about /everything/ regarding your future child you are a very very strong person. The doctors know what they are doing (Which I... rarely if ever say) Yet when my soon to be fiance was on Methadone (Recreational) the doctor didn't say anything negative, they just asked how long and how much she took everyday. Yet she /did/ get tapered down slowly. Then... a lot of things happened, and it would be completely off topic. But the Prenatal doctors know what they are doing, and 99% of the time they've had a situation /similar/ to yours. But once again, thank you for asking another party when it comes to this as /sometimes/ doctors overlook things. Yet with my experience with Prenatal doctors, they /never/ have. Best of luck with everything, and you sound like a very very strong woman. I hope you have a wonderful future ahead of you. :)

EDIT: Also here is the thread that TacoDude was referring to here

Also (slightly off-topic) I just want to say thank you for getting on here and asking about all of this, other than not. After what I went through... which didn't go well for me, and later her.

Last edited:
Stay strong and please take the advice of your doctors. It sounds like they have you and your childs best interests at heart and to me it's more comforting that it's a panel of 8 giving you this advice and not just one.
Motherhood is the most beautiful and special experience one could have(and this coming fro a man) and have faith that you are in good hands and they will see this through.My mother died a couple of years ago and the bond I had with her is the strongest one I've known and I see the same with my boys and wife. Your child is lucky to have a thoughtful and selfless mother such as yourself! Stay strong,stay healthy, and know you are not alone!!!

Damn I couldn't imagine being in your shoes and the decisions you are faced with.... I will be praying for you and your baby. IMO , I think you should switch to morphine if possible, I've heard of other pregnant women doing the same. I would think morphine would be easier to taper for the baby and the withdraw would be easier on him or her as well. Good luck!!! I'm sending prayers your way!!
I honestly would advise against this as fent is potent, but leaves the system 2x faster than morphine at least. Changing up anything on the developing fetus is bad. No stress for mommy no stress for baby.

I am happy to see I was able to get the thread stated off right for you and to connect you to the other mom going through this. Stay strong OP and please update this thread like a journal and ask any questions you need. While most people on here are just using drugs some have medical background and can give good advice.

I wish the best for you in this time and hope you end up with a happy healthy baby.

Edit: thank you for linking sleepwalker.... I put in the URL, but there's no auto hyperlink

I suggest to just listen to your Dr's and not beat yourself up about it. They have been through this before with other women im sure of it and im sure they know whats best for you and your child. Especially since it isnt just one Dr, instead being a team of Dr's im sure they put their minds together on what is best.

So just try to get it off your mind and not get stressed out about it because that just isnt good. Listen to them and keep going on about your business as usual. I know a girl who was on opiates her whole pregnancy and her kid came out perfectly fine and she just listened to her Dr's, so you really shouldnt worry. Im sure you and your soon to be child will be perfectly fine :)

Good luck!

I just wanted to say how thankful I am for your guys' support. It makes me feel like a million dollars. To be honest, I have a child who is now 4 years old. I birthed him no epidural just IV fluids. It made me feel like I was getting ripped I half but at the same time I was so euphoric and needed to see my son. I want to do the same thing with this child. I hope it is safe. Because I had cancer a year after my son, and also had an accident that separated my spine ( I had to re learn how to walk! ) they want me to do C section. I disagree and I may think that because you blow through the pain scale and your body goes into shock maybe I can withdraw at the same time? I know I sound crazy but I believe heavily in breast feeding and I don't want to pass my meds to my bundle of joy. Any suggestions?
I know I sound like a crazy person but because I am disabled I feel the need to push myself and prove everyone that I can beat the impossible. Not to mention I HATE feeling tired and loopy all the time from my freakin patches! It drives me crazy !!! So any excuse I can have to get off of them without hurting jelly bean I am following it! Or is that a bad idea?
Oh yeah and I'm not married, do you guys think badly of that? ):

This is something you need to really discuss with your doctor. I am sure they would ween you off if you really push that you don't want to continue use through pregnancy, but likely advise against it. You can really force them by telling them it is that they ween you or you just stop yet they might say it's your baby and choice although that's guaranteed to harm if not kill the baby. Just trust your doctors, work with them, but make sure you explain what you want to do and why you want it so they can best figure out how to give you what you want even if that is weening you off quite a potent opiate hard to ween off if I am not mistaken.

Oh yeah and I'm not married, do you guys think badly of that? ):

NEVER!!! Whenever i go out looking for a date or whatever, my FAVORITE are single moms. They drive me wild! So the way i see it is just one more potential date in the single moms pool ;)

Yeah I completely understand, I just want to be off so badly. I can't drive, I am sleepy all the time, and dizzy. Sometimes it's relaxing but most of the time it makes me sad because all I want to do is lay on the couch and watch Tim burton films all day long. But I do NOT want to harm my baby or kill her. That would break me inside. Like rip my heart in two. So maybe I can compromise with my doctor and stay on/ switch to whatever the hospital surgeons suggest that can give therapeutic effects to my baby? And maybe I can convince him to do a regular delivery with full epidural?

NEVER!!! Whenever i go out looking for a date or whatever, my FAVORITE are single moms. They drive me wild! So the way i see it is just one more potential date in the single moms pool ;)

well then that doesn't make me feel so bad then hahaha

I hear you, but I bet without the meds you would not want to do lot and even though it seems like s long time at this point in your life once the 8 months are through it will seem like it just passed by (well not really, but compared to the rest of your happy life with your baby that you must not forget you at working for that will make this time seem insignificant never the less important in the grand scheme).

Also I have more respect for single moms.... I think that's why female are stronger than us men.... We just being the fuel while you must protect the womb especially if the man can't/won't, and everything else related to birth on your end. Don't take shame in this time with anything except if you eye being rude to people.... There is nothing worse than a pregnant woman who thinks they are better than everyone and should be waited on hand and foot because they are going to have a baby. That being said it is also sad when someone makes an effort to such a degree to avoid being someone like that they end up stubborn and unwilling to accept help. It's a gift to see someone so touched they are humble and grateful showing appreciation and thanks to everyone that makes notice and helps with someone making one of the greatest efforts that exist in this life to make, which is to have a blessed humble nature staying strong through the months of developing life for a pregnancy.

Just stay happy.... Stress for mommy means stress for baby, bit I also bet joy, good feeling, and strength for mommy also means the same for the baby too. Your baby does gain some kind of knowledge at this time as studies show music and things while in the womb help the babies brain develop during that time so definitely spend this time thinking about good things for the baby and leave the dependency and drug worries to the doctors of course until the babies born. Also the baby won't even remember their first three years, known as babies amnesia, and will start exploring at that time giving you nest egg syndrome as your baby will begin to explore and you will just not be ready and still want something to hold just don't make impulsive decisions around then ;) You are doing great Lupus just enjoy your life now. You have so much more time to deal with this dependency, which is NOT an addiction by definition as it is defined as usage without medical reason. There is nothing wrong with you using opiates besides of course the spiny head and drowsiness, but just mention it to your doctor and maybe ask for a decrease in dose without stopping the medication. Just do what is comfortable especially physically at this time as no matter what hormones will affect you both physically and especially mentally. That's why it is important to just commit to activities that keep you relaxed, strong, and happy.

Edit: Try shallow pool wading (stand a bit above waist high covering your belly in the pool and just feel the water flow around you)

Yeah I completely understand, I just want to be off so badly. I can't drive, I am sleepy all the time, and dizzy. Sometimes it's relaxing but most of the time it makes me sad because all I want to do is lay on the couch and watch Tim burton films all day long. But I do NOT want to harm my baby or kill her. That would break me inside. Like rip my heart in two. So maybe I can compromise with my doctor and stay on/ switch to whatever the hospital surgeons suggest that can give therapeutic effects to my baby? And maybe I can convince him to do a regular delivery with full epidural?

Just wondering if you ever got switched to something different/ did a taper? Did the doctors compromise with you? It takes a lot of courage to go through a pregnancy after everything you have been through. Labor is painful.. i was in labor for 22 hrs & can remember the pain like it was yesterday. Putting the baby's health before your own is the best thing to do so just listen to your doctors.

Also, about not being married. I was asked by so many people if I was planning on getting married since I was pregnant. Just tell anyone who thinks your sinning to fuck off. Just because your having a baby does not mean you have to get married. Do whatever makes you happy! ☺

So here is my update on what actually happened. I did a rapid taper ( cut out patch, then went from Roxie to hydro )
I only took what was prescribed and I was constantly re evaluted. During this time @ thanksgiving I broke my hip and fractured my sacrum. That was horrible and left me on bed rest, I had a flare and a good 12 weeks to heal. Still stayed on my same dose while all of this was happeneing. Then I developed 6mm and 8mm stones constantly. I had 4 surgeries while pregnant, two stone extractions, stent placement, then nephrostomy tube placed. It was fucking hell as I decided to go NO anesthesia.
Needless to say I was on and off norco, and Percocet.
I was induced @ 36 weeks due to kidney damage and a heart attack.
My baby was a healthy 8.1 lbs. only thing he had issues with was feeding because he was a month early he had a hard time latching. No withdrawal at all. Just beware my normal doctor did not deliver me and this new doctor who was subbing gave me the routine drug test they give all mothers and regardless of have prescriptions called cps. She stuck around only to find I had the need for opiate use.
Be careful, listen to your doctors, and everything will be fine. This pregnancy almost killed me but it was all 120% perfect

i wanted to add as well I thought my health problems would get better after pregnancy and they just got worse. If you can help it make sure you're in remission and on the lower end of pregnancy by if your not it's okay just ask for medical advice and follow it!

I am curious, what health issues did you have prior to the pregnancy? Sounds like you've have a rather intense experience will all of this, it's great to hear you and your little one are now doing well!