• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Pregnant, on methadone, scared n confused :/

Saw a show on TV about a girl prego and taking methadone to prevent withdrawals and it broke my heart. The poor baby was extremely underweight and cried all the time because it was going through withdrawals it was devastating. Please, please try to be unselfish. I have had an abortion once before because I was doing drugs, young, and knew I could not raise a child. Look into all your options. You could always taper of the dones.
Good luck<3
I know it's hard

Oh and also methadone and pregnancy is just now being studied so they don't really have an idea of the long term effects on children born with dependency of that drug or how it affected them.
Either way I'm sure it's not good I took care of a girl with fetal alcohol syndrome and she has to deal with a lot of fucked up kids making fun of her.

Thanks again for all your support;) My 2 daughters are very well taken care of and loved. Their Dad is a nutso and works out of town so doesn't see them much. My bf tho loves them to the moon and back and they love him as well. They are incredibly excited about the baby and about going home to AK.

I wld love if my bf cld just come here but his high paying job is in AK along with his very close family.

We have talked about keeping strait and he swears he won't do anything, prob not even drink while I am Prego. He says he never wants to get into drugs again and also it isn't worth risking his job or his relationships with me and his family.
I hope all this stays true.

Yes I know love can't pay the bills or feed a hungry baby, but wldnt it b nice? Wishful thinking:)

Another thing that I jus thought of ----------->>> I believe if the baby comes out addicted to drugs, the state will take your baby. They will place them with a family member if one is available or he/she will become a ward of the state until it is proven the mother is no longer on drugs. The mother would need to be in a maintenance program and also drug counseling to get her baby back. Once the state has a baby, it's an uphill battle to get he/she back. I believe your obgyn/prenatal dr tests your urine for drugs when you go in for your sonos and check ups. You have two kids already, Alikat, so you know they make you piss in a cup every appointment. They check your iron levels and that good shit but I believe they are also drug testing. Have you spoke to your dr about your MMT? I'm interested in what they recommend you do.

Again, Alikat <3 it's all love. I really would love to see you happy with a healthy baby sister <3

Also baby aside I feel this move will be good for me, as I am very depressed in ATL. I don't know anyone outside of my clinic, my roommate is a flight attendant and is never home and when she is she stays in her room and is very easily aggravated toward my girls. She has made a lot of broken promises and I feel more or less needs me to pay half the bills n watch her cats, not feeling much support there . It makes me very sad. I end up bored n depressed, and it's a huge strain on my relationship. Also finding work has been hell! The side of town we live on is so far away from everything it's no fun if u don't even have gas money to go to the park across town!
I feel the depression I've been feeling has been pushing me to use ( I've not used since learning I'm Prego) hoping a move will do good, but who knows.. The saying goes wherever you go you bring you with you...

I would recommend tapering the best you can. If you can't quit completely, try and try to get on the lowest dose possible. That baby is your life now. I know you want the best for he/she. Do not jus do cold turkey cuz you can actually have a miscarriage that way. So you do have to continue your MMT but I cannot stress enough how important it is to get off that shit gradually. You know what's best for you, your body so don't go too hard and put that baby into shock.

hun, this is not sound advice. It may be what you did, but it goes directly against all medical advice and guidelines for methadone and pregnancy. Youre offering anecdotal evidence from one persons experience and telling her to go against the standard practice of the entire medical profession in america, counntless studies, and the conclusions of over 30 years of research.

Not only that, but something that makes me think you might not be aware of some of the facts here is that you said to be on the lowest dose possible. This is actually something that most people who are uneducated about the subject might think is a good thing, however, its actually completely unnecessary and if you do any research on this you will find that the maternal dose of methadone does not affect the baby as far as presence of NAS or need for medication detox. The dose you are on has no bearing on whether your baby experiences NAS (withdrawal.) Study after study has shown this, which leads doctors to suggest that you should be on the dose that is necessary for you to maintain comfort and safety for the baby and no lower. Being on a lower dose does NOT cause a difference, you will NOT be helping your baby at all! Its completely pointless because it will not reduce the chances of side effects. Simply put, it has NO positive effects, and DOES have potential negative effects, so, yea....Thats a bad idea.

in fact, it can HARM your baby more to be on a lower dose than you need! To tell her that she should lower her dose and try to keep it as low as she can directly contradicts the facts here. You can be on 120 or 40, and the 40mg baby might end up with more withdrawal than the 120mg baby. there is no correlation between maternal dose and NAS or any side effects in the baby such as low birth weight or smaller head circumference so to suggest that being on a lower dose is helpful, is not only completely incorrect factually but potentially dangerous :(

Not only that, but during pregnancy its often necessary to RAISE the dose of methadone because of the weight gain and the fact that the volume of blood in your body increases by about 50% during pregnancy! So the dose that held you before might not be enough anymore and in order to keep the baby stable the dose might need to be upped.

I dont mean to be rude or whatever, and i understand that you chose to do what you did, but you aint giving advice based on medical evidence or the standard accepted practices for treatment of women on methadone during pregnancy. I know youre just trying to help and offer some perspective from your experience and its always good to hear stories from all different sides and all that. I really aint trying to come off as a bitch here, bc I can see that you have her best intentions in mind while giving your advice. But from your post its clear that youre not aware of some of the facts here. and giving advice on a subject as serious as this without a full understanding of the facts, well, it could lead to the person recieving the advice making an unsafe decision. If the stuff you were saying was a matter of opinion it would be one thing but youre telling her things that are not subjective but can be directly proved wrong by medical research, stuff thats just factually incorrect, and if she takes your word for it, she could end up making a potentially dangerous decision.

You should never take anybodys word from the internet anyways, and just like I said before she should do as much of her own research and educate herself as much as she can. as well meaning as your post may be its misguiding :\

I get that the idea is to reassure her and just send some love and tell her that it will be OK and thats a good sentiment to be having. And i hate to say it like this because it just sounds so damn mean and I know that I prolly come off like a fuckin bitch in this post but Im doing my best not to....but what you advised her to do is kind of irresponsible as far as her babys wellbeing goes.

There is no reason to get off the methadone. It doesnt cause any kind of significant damage and INCREASES maternal and neonatal wellbeing immensely. once again, decades of research back this up. It would be one thing if it was like antidepressants, or some other drug like that, which causes very real and potentially severe damage. But methadone is pretty fucking benign as far as drugs to take during pregnancy goes. youre not "doing" anything bad to your baby. You are doing what you need to do , to be the best mother you can be.

Honestly, lets just look at this from a rational, logical perspective here, taking all the emotional shit out of it about "what youre doing to your baby" and all that.

Why should she get off the methadone? What reason is there for that? Is there a compelling, urgent reason?

Or is it just the general gut feeling people have stuck in their heads of "its bad to be "ON DRUGS" while youre pregnant?"

This whole issue, you can break it down VERY simply.

What are the potential damages of being on methadone, vs the potential damages of getting off it while pregnant? The benefits of staying on far outweigh the risks of getting off. Thats really all there is to it. the problem here is that people think with their hearts instead of with their minds, and it ends up causing them to do things that are actually counterproductive and can be more harmful to their baby in the long run. Education on this subject is SOOOO important if youre in this position

my logic is this- all drugs affect the brain of the developing foetus. if you can quit it will be traumatic BUT it will be better for the baby.

i highly doubt opiates would damage the baby the way alcohol would but who knows? the real worry i would have would be that years later when the child is older and a doctor gives them codeine that they would be hugely predisposed to addiction.

for your benefit and that of the child i would suggest coming off the methadone at least while pregnant

For the sake of the child this is a bad idea!

Once again, it seems to go against what you would think. People who dont know about this subject will automatically assume its best to get off, but its not! See my other post, and read the rest of this one. Bad idea! Please dont give advice based on no research and no facts, and only on your vague ideas of what you "think" would be the right thing. In this case its not a subjective thing but a very real, very easily verifiable question to answer.

Saw a show on TV about a girl prego and taking methadone to prevent withdrawals and it broke my heart. The poor baby was extremely underweight and cried all the time because it was going through withdrawals it was devastating. Please, please try to be unselfish. You could always taper of the dones.

To suggest that she is selfish for being on methadone and not getting off is just ignorant. I know that youre not being mean or judgemental, and Im not trying to be mean here either. I dont mean ignorant like "you ignorant bitch!" or anything like that :) I just mean that you are uninformed here and not aware of the facts.

IF A MOTHER GETS PROPER PRENATAL CARE AND TAKES GOOD CARE OF HERSELF, THE ODDS OF A BABY HAVING COMPLICATIONS RELATED TO METHADONE ARE VERY SLIM!

The reason that many of these babies have problems is because the mother was ON HEROIN PRIOR TO GETTING ON METHADONE, not someone already stabilized on methadone BEFORE they got pregnant.

If youre on heroin, using, taking terrible care of yourself, dont know youre pregnant, not taking prenatal vitamins or getting good nutrition, and THEN you find out youre pregnant and get on methadone, up until that point, you were already not giving your baby the best environment to grow in!

You cannot fucking blame the methadone for any problems caused by that!

THE METHADONE ITSELF is not going to cause severe problems. it just doesnt work like that. Something to consider is that many of the problems experienced by some women on methadone during pregnancy can be attributed to POOR LIFESTYLE, POOR NUTRITION, and POOR PRENATAL CARE because while they may be on methadone they are STILL LIVING THE LIFESTYLE OF ADDICTS as far as not being stable in life!

Last thing IM gonna say here....

IF YOU ARE ON A STABLE DOSE OF METHADONE, GETTING GOOD NUTRITION, GOOD PRENATAL CARE, TAKING PRENATAL VITAMINS, EXERCISING, HAVING YOUR METHADONE LEVELS BEING CLOSELY MONITORED WITH DOSE ADJUSTMENT AS NECESSARY, AND ARE LIVING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE, THE ODDS OF YOU HAVING ANY PROBLEMS ARE VERY SLIM!!

Being on methadone in and of ITSELF is NOT a significant risk to a developing baby.

The thing that people forget is that lets fuckin face it, a lot of times women addicted to heroin or opiates are in a shitty situation in life! Often there is all types of co occuring disorders and problems, AS WELL AS A HIGH INCIDENCE OF POLYDRUG ABUSE, INCLUDING alcohol! Thats one thing people forget about, and a lot of times the negative effects can come from these other issues that are happening in the background at the same time, like i mentioned before, malnutrition, possible other medication use, unstable and stressful lifestyle, alcohol or other drug abuse, smoking cigarettes, and poor maternal health in general. if you isolate methadone BY ITSELF, in HEALTHY MOTHERS, who are stabilized and getting regular, quality prenatal care, you see a lot less of negative outcomes.

And with the benefits of being on it, vs the risk of miscarraige and brain damage if methadone is stopped, well, you would have to be highly, highly uneducated and uninformed about this whole topic, to suggest that someone is selfish or wrong to stay on it or to urge them to get off "for the babys" good. Thats just like the worst possible advice you could give someone in that situation.

Im gonna come back and provide assloads of links for anyone who cares to read them, but heres just something quick to get you started.

http://www.drugalcoholaddictionrecovery.com/5-misconceptions-about-methadone-use-during-pregnancy/

Last edited:
Why should she get off the methadone? What reason is there for that?

so the baby is not taking methadone for 9 months.

It has to be weighed against all the risks and benefits.
Mothers have successfully gone through pregnancy while taking methadone, and it doesn't make them bad moms.

so the baby is not taking methadone for 9 months.

Thats not a reason. You could say that a woman shouldnt eat purple foods for 9 months "so the baby is not eating purple foods for 9 months." It fails to establish a reason why this is a negative thing.

yeah i had a look on the net- its better to stay on it cos you can miscarry. kind of weird cos it goes against my natural instinct which is to not take drugs when you have a baby growing inside you. BUT...

its better to have a child at some sort of disadvantage than one that doesn't come to term. a living child is alive.

every situation is not perfect and you cant expect life to be perfect. you have to make the most positive out of your situation

yeah i had a look on the net- its better to stay on it cos you can miscarry. kind of weird cos it goes against my natural instinct which is to not take drugs when you have a baby growing inside you. BUT...

its better to have a child at some sort of disadvantage than one that doesn't come to term. a living child is alive.

every situation is not perfect and you cant expect life to be perfect. you have to make the most positive out of your situation

\why are you saying that this baby would be at a disadvantage? what would cause this baby to be at a disadvantage?

People automatically assume that there IS a one.

is it IDEAL?

No. But its a rare pregnancy that is.

There are no birth defects caused by it. It does not cause brain damage. The risks associated with it are really not that big of a deal. There are no major serious side effects caused by it. People are acting like being on methadone is the same as being an alcoholic or something. Yall seem to think that its gonna cause a baby to come out retarded or with some kind of severe developmental problems. Theres really not even any significantly bad things that are common side effects. Slightly lower birth weight and smaller head circumference are two of the more common ones.

I think that so many people here are just operating based on assumptions and I havent seen many people in this thread who have even bothered to do any research of their own. Youre assuming that A, getting off methadone would be best, since thats just what people tend to assume, and B, that the reason someone shoudl get off it, is that it will cause all kinds of horrible things to happen to the baby if you stay on it, and then, apparently, C, that if you have to stay on it, well, I guess thats just how it has to be, but your baby will be at a disavantage and not "normal."

In reality, its just not true. Youd probably be worse off smoking cigarettes and eating a really shitty malnutritious diet than being on a stable monitored dose of methadone and getting proper prenatal care. I dont know what you guys think happens to a baby born on methadone, but you seem to have some kind of serious monster-in-the-closet ideas about something thats really only just a sweater :);)

It sounds like you really want this child and that's the first step to being a great mom.

I'll give you one tip, just don't say that shit in front of someone who was sexually abused by a parent 8)

I've been on methadone for 10 months. Just found out i got Prego visiting my long distance bf. he's clean now as we'll but I'm scared if I go back to him n keep the baby he will fall off again n I will b stuck. In reality I'm the one who has has the bigger problem quitting but I know this baby will b a game changer for me. Using wont b an option, wich is scary in itself. Even scarier to know if he falls off I can't go with him this time. I love him so much but I have so many doubts. My initial joy has turned to terror. . I'm scared, confused, he wants thus.... But for how long n do I? Plus is methadone really ok for the baby like they say??? Any advice wld b nice. Not sure if its just the jitters or intuition. I know I will feel horrible having an abortion. Ugh wtf to do ?!??
I have watched a couple of friends that are opiate addicts/cleaned up users have kids. None of these have turned out well. None. They all have ended up using again, using in front of their kid (one of the mums asked me to hold a soft toy in front of the toddlers face while she had a shot...she had been clean a year before having the kid). They will have to withdraw the baby from the methadone, imagine that for an introduction to the real world.

I won't give an answer to what i would do, but use your intuition, do you think you can cope with this? Having kids is a stress to even the most together people, let alone drug addicts. But you may be one of the few out of the majority. I don't know you.

Good luck

\why are you saying that this baby would be at a disadvantage? what would cause this baby to be at a disadvantage?

People automatically assume that there IS a one.

is it IDEAL?

No. But its a rare pregnancy that is.

There are no birth defects caused by it. It does not cause brain damage. The risks associated with it are really not that big of a deal. There are no major serious side effects caused by it. People are acting like being on methadone is the same as being an alcoholic or something. Yall seem to think that its gonna cause a baby to come out retarded or with some kind of severe developmental problems. Theres really not even any significantly bad things that are common side effects. Slightly lower birth weight and smaller head circumference are two of the more common ones.

I think that so many people here are just operating based on assumptions and I havent seen many people in this thread who have even bothered to do any research of their own. Youre assuming that A, getting off methadone would be best, since thats just what people tend to assume, and B, that the reason someone shoudl get off it, is that it will cause all kinds of horrible things to happen to the baby if you stay on it, and then, apparently, C, that if you have to stay on it, well, I guess thats just how it has to be, but your baby will be at a disavantage and not "normal."

In reality, its just not true. Youd probably be worse off smoking cigarettes and eating a really shitty malnutritious diet than being on a stable monitored dose of methadone and getting proper prenatal care. I dont know what you guys think happens to a baby born on methadone, but you seem to have some kind of serious monster-in-the-closet ideas about something thats really only just a sweater :);)

its not like alcohol/nicotine in terms of birth defects but can you seriously say that being physically addicted to such a powerful drug will not leave you with a higher likelihood of being addicted to opiates later in life?

either way who gives shit- a baby that's alive is better than one that doesn't come to term. you are much better with a child that is alive than one that miscarries.

my friend drank and did loads of coke while pregnant and i dont judge her harshly because its in the past and what can you do now? its not ideal but not many situations are.

Last edited:
its not like alcohol/nicotine in terms of birth defects but can you seriously say that being physically addicted to such a powerful drug will not leave you with a higher likelihood of being addicted to opiates later in life?

Actually, I was unable to find a single study that showed this during my research. Additionally a lot of addiction predisposition is genetic, so a clean addict who is not using methadone is just as likely to have a baby who becomes an addict later than a woman using methadone during pregnancy as far as that goes.

Here is some info that I thought might be interesting and reassuring to some people :

Few studies have tracked NAS babies beyond the earliest weeks of their lives, but University of Maine doctoral student Beth Logan is pushing that body of research forward. Data from her Maine Infant Follow-Up Project show that well-managed methadone therapy itself is not associated with developmental problems in the first year of life, but that frequent dose increases during pregnancy may be linked with delayed development of motor skills, such as the ability to sit up, crawl and walk, which are important developmental milestones and predictors of cognitive development. This implies that it is essential for a woman to properly manage her methadone therapy during pregnancy to ensure she does not require frequent dose increases in order to avoid symptoms of withdrawal.
--University of maine study
http://umaine.edu/news/blog/2012/03...-effects-of-methadone-treatment-in-pregnancy/

Once again--meaning---STAY ON A STABLE DOSE!!!

Please read this study carefully before you jump to conclusions. carefully and thoroughly. The problems caused here were NOT because the women were taking a higher dose, which is what many people might get the idea of if they just skimmed thru and didnt pay attention to the wording. But thats not the case. to use an example (not a specific dose from the study but to illustrate what theyre saying) A woman on 110 mg from the start vs a woman who was on 60, then 70, then 80, then 90, then 100, then 110, is what they are comparing here. The problems were because THE WOMEN WERE ON TOO LOW OF A DOSE, and constantly needed to increase the dose---because they were in withdrawal--which is what caused the developmental problems. once agaib--the drug itself causes no developmental delays. its improper management of the treatment.

Just more evidence that you need to stay on as high as a dose as necessary! Trying to stay low, and just "sweat it out' the discomfort "for the baby" actually HARMS the baby.

My obgyn was the one that told me to taper to as low a dose I could handle and kick. So, my advice to Alikat is not coming from my ass. I believe Alikat was looking for advice and this is the advice I chose to give her which was given to me by my doctor. Alikat is obviously free to make her own decisions on what is gon work best for her. In no way am I telling Alikat to kick cold turkey. I don't think it's unreasonable to lower a methadone dose with the ultimate goal being to kick. The end game is to kick, right or wrong?

Every body (literally... body) is different. What worked for me may not work for the next person. Any advice given to Alikat is coming from a place of love and understanding. With that said, I'm sure we all want the best for her and this baby. I may not be "educated" in this. I can only tell Alikat what worked for me. As far as finding info on the internet, you can find anything that will cement your own opinion. There's no guarantee. Especially with a baby.

The emotional burden of being on drugs while you're carrying a baby is a bitch. I was depressed throughout my entire pregnancy knowing that the methadone could fuck my baby up. And that was even after I kicked it. I carry that with me everyday knowing what I potentially did to my son. It makes me feel like a piece of shit to be honest. No pregnancy situation is really ideal but I feel like I could have done better while I was pregnant.

So, I am no doctor nor do I pretend to be. My advice to Alikat is coming from my own obgyn and the instructions she had gave me. In no way am I demanding that Alikat do exactly what I did cuz this may not work for her. Alikat came here looking for advice and kind words and I believe that's what I was able to give her. As far as her taking the advice, that's up to her to decide. There's no right or wrong way when it comes such a personal and sensitive decision like this. I want to see Alikat happy and with a healthy baby <3 It's all love Khadijah I think it's great we are all showing her love.

it is not good to bombard a developing fetus/baby with opiates. They get those opiates into their blood from their mother. They build addiction and tolerance. Their system adjusts to the dose and their opiate receptors grow and form while having that dose in their system. It's bad for a grown man or woman to bombard their brain/gut etc... with opiates. The fetus-->baby is developing during this time.

It will not cause physical malformation birth defects (= the meaning of teratogenic in this context). This definition of teratogenic does not take into account things like opiate receptor and nociceptin action in the brain.

Quitting rapidly or cold turkey, and going through severe withdrawals stresses the baby just like the mother, and can cause miscarriage. Methadone must be tapered carefully and the final stages of quitting should be done in a hospital setting under physician supervision.

getting off of methadone and then going back to street drugs is worse than just staying on methadone. Many mothers-to-be are incapable of staying off opiates, and methadone is their only option.

Moms have had healthy successful babies while pregnant on methadone maintenance, and it was the best they could do, and it does not make them bad moms.

Actually, I was unable to find a single study that showed this during my research. Additionally a lot of addiction predisposition is genetic, so a clean addict who is not using methadone is just as likely to have a baby who becomes an addict later than a woman using methadone during pregnancy as far as that goes.

Here is some info that I thought might be interesting and reassuring to some people :

--University of maine study
http://umaine.edu/news/blog/2012/03...-effects-of-methadone-treatment-in-pregnancy/

Once again--meaning---STAY ON A STABLE DOSE!!!

Please read this study carefully before you jump to conclusions. carefully and thoroughly. The problems caused here were NOT because the women were taking a higher dose, which is what many people might get the idea of if they just skimmed thru and didnt pay attention to the wording. But thats not the case. to use an example (not a specific dose from the study but to illustrate what theyre saying) A woman on 110 mg from the start vs a woman who was on 60, then 70, then 80, then 90, then 100, then 110, is what they are comparing here. The problems were because THE WOMEN WERE ON TOO LOW OF A DOSE, and constantly needed to increase the dose---because they were in withdrawal--which is what caused the developmental problems. once agaib--the drug itself causes no developmental delays. its improper management of the treatment.

Just more evidence that you need to stay on as high as a dose as necessary! Trying to stay low, and just "sweat it out' the discomfort "for the baby" actually HARMS the baby.

http://www.aims.org.uk/effectDrugsOnBabies.htm read the bit on drug addiction in adults. and this is only about the effects of drugs during labour