• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Pregabalin withdrawal or not? Use benzos to quit?

SamPca

Greenlighter
Hello,

Hello, I previously posted another thread detailing my troubles in recent times: https://bluelight.org/xf/threads/tr...ack-to-benzos-or-try-to-power-through.921754/

Long story short I have been addicted to benzos for quite a while (8 years give or take), finally managed to quit them on march and I have been dealing with withdrawal since. On july I started a new job, the first after I decided to withdraw from benzos and quit my old one and by august I was starting to get tired by my lack of progress and bad symptoms (and was starting to believe many of my symptoms were not actually from withdrawal but from my unmedicated personality) so I booked an appointment with another psychiatrist to have an opinion about that and to possibly see about starting an antidepressant.

In the end he prescribed me Lyrica, it was great, actually thought I had found a solution, but over time it lost all efficacy (and the fact that right now I'm usually only taking it at night doesn't help). After about a month I started take it at night only to keep my insomnia at bay, as it's the most debilitating thing for me when it acts up, probably dumb as it's only a mild hypnotic compared to benzos and has a short half life but it somewhat works for my insomnia as it is mostly driven by anxiety. I don't take it during the day unless strictly necessary to keep daily dose as low as possible.

Anyways my use has been very irregular I have taken between 25 and 50mg / day on the first three weeks, then 25 mg / day for about a month, then 50 mg for another month and the last couple of months have been around 75 / 100 mg / day. During all this time I also had some bad insomnia bouts where I would take around 100 mg to try and sleep. In the past 20 days my mood and insomnia has gotten much worse I have taken much bigger doses, often around 150 / 200 mg, sometimes during the day too. The worst thing of all is that it feels like even if I keep upping the dose i'm not getting 100% of the effect of even the 25 mg i took initially. What is most noticeable is that the carefree, prosocial and uplifting aspect is completely gone, while it feels more numbing than anything else right now. It feels like tolerance had a spike recently

Pretty much every dose increase is due to worse insomnia, but also mood and anxiety level has generally gone steadily down despite dose increases.

I know these sound like very small doses, and they are, but when I started I was amazed at the effect even 25 mg had and 100 mg would floor me. The day after a night when I had bad insomnia were low key great because even if I was tired I would be so spaced out, carefree and buzzed. Taking almost 10x my initial, almost lifesaving microdose but not feeling the same effect is very troubling.

Do you think I could be dependent on it, even at these very low doses? I always try to take the least amount possible but lately I feel like it has gone out of control and the dose increase scares me.

My second question is, if this really is a dependence I don't know if I have the will to quit this right now, things are very shitty already as it is, however, having been addicted to another substance for 8 years I know that things only get worse with time and I should try while it's "easy". One solution could be to use some of the valium I have left (Yes, I've kept it but haven't touched it since last march) to at least deal with the insomnia for a couple of days. I know this could be playing with fire and could send me to a much darker path, It all depends on a simple thing: Is using benzos "responsibly" for a couple of days enough to get hooked back on? I guess that is ultimately my question. Because It is the perfect tool for this job, but I realize the danger.

Anybody had experience with that? Quitting benzos then managing to use them once without A) getting hooked back on and B) Suffering through withdrawal again.

The short answers are:

Yes you can be dependent even on those low doses. It sounds like you definitely are. The taking much larger doses and not getting the same effect as what a much smaller dose use to do pretty much confirms that.

Yes using benzos for three days is enough to get hooked on them again. Essentially you kind of already are because there’s a lot of cross tolerance between benzos and pregabalin. Using benzos to get off pregabalin is somewhat analogous to using smack to get off codeine, don’t do it.

Not really, I’ve generally always ended up with a habit again whenever I’ve started using benzos again. As you are probably already dependent on a GABAergic drug all that will happen if you use benzos is you’ll probably feel better whilst taking them and then when you stop definitely experience withdrawal and worse. They are not the ‘perfect tool’ for getting off pregabalin, they’re probably about the worst tool.

It sounds like your best bet will be to organise a detox from the pregabalin you are currently taking without fucking with any other GABAergic drugs. As with detox from any GABAergic this should be done under professional medical supervision, as such you should speak to your doctor and organise either a detox or a taper.

I know this isn’t the answer you want but it’s the right one.

They do increase the dosage on these gabapentinoids rather quickly, in my experience.
The damn gabapentin went up to like 2x600mg capsules 4x a day? I was like fuck this nasty shit went to do and told him it was just too much consumption of powder and asked for pregalain. Done.
Saying that I had no issue with having no gabapentin. But after taking pregabin as prescribe and the doses started going up quickly I tried to quit like I did with gabapentin. Didn't work out for me too well.
As the dose has been increased the dose should be decreased in intervals (taper off). Take two or weeks of getting used to doing 25mg less per week before making other drops to get a "feel" of where you are at.
Just retreat outta this as ya came in... there are breadcrumbs. ;)
Welcome to BL.
We will be here with ya. <3

edit:
I only dose pregab about once every couple months for shits and giggles reminds me of weekend at bernies too much :undercover:

Anybody had experience with that? Quitting benzos then managing to use them once without A) getting hooked back on and B) Suffering through withdrawal again.
Yes.
A) I may be "hooked" in the wording but it is helpful at low doses
B) Yes I am tapering off for reasons unknown yet and it takes about a week for me to notice WDs ... but to be fair I was mistaken as I was @ 4mg/ml. I thought I was puting in 200mg into 100ml solution. Turns out there was only 50ml solution. Doh.
I am around maybe .1mg mostly 4xday but playing tonight alone and maybe going to 3-4mg eventually. Lest I sleep. ;)
Oh god the WDs past endured good fucking riddance. :hai:
Peace

Aslo depends on how much is around tbph.
If there is one dose... sure no problems no noticeable effects of being "addicted" (think needs definition at some point).
If there are 100000... I will become dependent at some point but not jumping off the high-dive if I can just use the standard and lower version. :) In other words before I see the "crash" coming I will do what I must to slow down and mash the brakes a little to minimize damage(s).

Aslo depends on how much is around tbph.
If there is one dose... sure no problems no noticeable effects of being "addicted" (think needs definition at some point).
If there are 100000... I will become dependent at some point but not jumping off the high-dive if I can just use the standard and lower version. :) In other words before I see the "crash" coming I will do what I must to slow down and mash the brakes a little to minimize damage(s).
it's that or refry your brain in glutamate a million times. which i've seen people opt for, and it;s ugly. not a good way to go. :(

I have jumped of from massive dosages and the wd was hell much worse then heroin last time I was taking 60 300 mg a day cut that in half straight of was ok did big cut every four days when down to about 10 a day did it slow jumped from 150 mg a day with diazepam and best pregab wd I have had quite easy but jumping from big doses is hell

I still get a buzz from 100mg after a few years of being prescribed prgabalin. if i wanna buzz 200mg is quite enough without risking too much in regards to self harm from possible accidents and the infrequency of use is negligible. i try to reign in my personal tendency to poly-drug use.
Just be mindful of the thoughts and any dark turns in ... they may be hard to actually notice cause we are in it (some of us) and I agree that it could be dropped quicker (per dosage) but please be self aware when coming-off.

Lest I sleep
Yeah think I made it to 2mg lol
And passed out listening to someone on the stream telling me something about light and solitude is the best way to grow/heal or something of the sort....
:shrug:

Yes even at those doses you obviously dependent and probably running out short a month unless you have a plug that can get it for you. I take 300 3 x day. I now know how to control it to where I take 600 in one day divide doses. Yes the higher you go you'll feel better but you're screwing your system up. Your best bet is to flush out your system.

Was there no weaning to the benzos? I wean my damn self off cuz docs don't know shit. I was yanked off three MG a day for seven years and it literally thru me into a psychosis. Finally I fired the doc, got back on it and weaned myself off. When I had no other choice and was left with no benzos I finally had to rely of gabapentin which like you you have to raise cuz tolerance becomes an issue. I'm prescribed klonopin 3 TID I try to take .5 a day unless the Adderrall is messing with me.

There is no fast answer to this other then just keep pressing on. You're away from the seizure threshold so that's good. Benzos have to be respected. My doc of fifty years experience said initially benzos where made to take forever. With all these laws now every doc is going to say that you have to take it as needed. Given the fact my doctor was working in the 80's when it blew up. Dying is a true concern. Anyways I hope you get whatever your looking for straighten out.