• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Pregabalin Taper

Blindmikeyc

Greenlighter
I have been taking large doses of Pregabalin for a couple of weeks, about 2500mgs or a bit higher, I have about 25000mgs left and a balance owed to me on a prescription so I am at about 37000mgs all together, any advice,

about 2500mgs or a bit higher
2.5g a day?
May I ask why this dose is so high, how long have you been on it (at this dose) and the reason why pregabalin was prescribed in the initial decision to Rx?
Thanks and welcome to bluelight.
Will be around a while but others will be along, surely. ;)
Take a moment for yourself while the wheels turn, OK?
Peace

Did you try to use less or to skip a dose and what withdrawal effects did you get?

I was using 900mg/d at the end and quit it without adverse effects. But I know that most people get quite nasty withdrawal from stopping pregabalin.

You can drop fairly quickly to 2000mg and then 1.6g and so on. The hardest part is the same as in buprenorphine: its easy to drop 8mg->1mg but the 1mg to 0 is some tough shit.

Well I have had fun using it for obvious reason but I need to stop and go back to normal dose or just quit it completely

That last little bit, regardless of drug, is usually the hardest bit...
This

This is absolutely accurate

IME tapering isn’t difficult; the jump off is.

For example, I had no issue dropping a methadone dose from 80mg to 4mg; and in a different year from 75mg to 6 mg. The last few mg were the only ones i noticed the drops.

When i had to stop methadone due to long QT syndrome, they switched me to morphine in the hospital. Knowing no doctor would maintain me with morphine, I requested that they cut my dose in half every 48 hours

I went from 120 mg per day to 7 mg per day in about a week and a half. A doctor agreed to write a prescription for the next week so I wouldn’t jump off of 7 mg
I couldn’t jump to 0 Started using small amounts of dope

Back to your question: at the mega doses youre taking I strongly suspect you can cut down quickly to a lower dose without much issue

When you are at “normal” /common dose, you will probably have to go a bit slower, but if I read your question correctly you have only been taking the pregabalin for a few weeks

Therefore it shouldn’t be built up in your system as it would if you’d been taking it for years

So I really think you should easily be able to just taper quickly and painlessly

Yeah. I was able to taper from 600mg/d morphine to 90mg/d with little discomfort but then it became increasingly difficult. Memantine changed this though, and I didn't have to go through withdrawal. Maybe dissociatives can help with pregabalin taper as well, at least I'd say it would be worth a try if you can get any of the long acting ones, preferrably memantine but also e.g. deschloroketamine or even DXM as a last resort if you can get nothing else but I'd be careful with DXM because of its SNRI activity (and those high trapping dissos are no joke, I know of more than one person who overshoot the dosage and encountered stuff like the devil with eyes open). I never got such eerie stuff from DCK but it helped me to do a cold turkey off 4mg bupe.

I used to take 60 300 mg capsules a day first cut that by half 30 300s enough no wd then did cuts every 4 days until i got to 10 300 mg a day then a slow months long taper until i jumped at 150 mg a day with help of diazepam and it was so bearable i was thinking I'm going to get a wd but it was easy. When i have jumped from massive amounts it was hell

2.5g a day?
May I ask why this dose is so high, how long have you been on it (at this dose) and the reason why pregabalin was prescribed in the initial decision to Rx?
Thanks and welcome to bluelight.
Will be around a while but others will be along, surely. ;)
Take a moment for yourself while the wheels turn, OK?
Peace
Pregabs build tolerance so quick that the amount you take just to feel a buzz becomes crazy .

You were taking 18 grams of pregabalin a day, this is not a typo right? Fuck, I got a grand mal seizure from ~1.8 grams. Always interesting how individually different biochemistry is. And glad you made it through the taper.

Pregabs build tolerance so quick that the amount you take just to feel a buzz becomes crazy .
Oh yeah, pregab's tolerance curve is insane. Worse than any other drug. Back in the day I got sort of a drunkenness from my first 300mg's. Exactly once. Later I'd jump to 900mg and got a dissociative, stimulant kind of effect. Was never able to reproduce these effects even after long periods of abstinence. At last even 900mg did have exactly zero effects so I jumped to 1.8, paid the price and quit the substance. It still pops to my mind every now and then given that it's OTC in the country here but I don't buy more because it's just not sustainable.

You were taking 28 grams of pregabalin a day, this is not a typo right? Fuck, I got a grand mal seizure from ~1.8 grams. Always interesting how individually different biochemistry is. And glad you made it through the taper.
At my height i had brought 2000 300 mg indian signature capsules for 50p each i would wake up and there would be 15 in a strip i take them and 3 more 15 strips of 300 mgs 60 in total. But 31 years of drug abuse that was the closest to death i had come my kidneys were fucked mind gone could feel water on lungs and my belly extended like i was pregnant

You were taking 18 grams of pregabalin a day, this is not a typo right? Fuck, I got a grand mal seizure from ~1.8 grams. Always interesting how individually different biochemistry is. And glad you made it through the taper.

Oh yeah, pregab's tolerance curve is insane. Worse than any other drug. Back in the day I got sort of a drunkenness from my first 300mg's. Exactly once. Later I'd jump to 900mg and got a dissociative, stimulant kind of effect. Was never able to reproduce these effects even after long periods of abstinence. At last even 900mg did have exactly zero effects so I jumped to 1.8, paid the price and quit the substance. It still pops to my mind every now and then given that it's OTC in the country here but I don't buy more because it's just not sustainable.
I remember my first time taking them 150 mg had me buzzing and 300 mg took all the heroin wd away

I still flirt in and out of addiction on them but never to that amount I'm prescribed 600 mg a day now when i fucked my kidneys on 60 300 mg a day the doctor could not believe i could take so many he had all other tests done heart everything . The wd when you jump from big amounts is just hell pure mental torture all the heroin wds i never considered suicide but high amount pregab wd has got me to that point

I remember my first time taking them 150 mg had me buzzing and 300 mg took all the heroin wd away
Yeah, it's a good aid for opioid withdrawal. Interestingly this effect appears to be there even with tolerance, I was prescribed 600mg/d morphine and 600mg/d pregabalin for months, the pregab had no more noticeable effects for a long time but I could still do a rapid taper of morphine down to around 90mg/d without suffering which I attribute to the pregabalin. It's a weird substance. But I got it prescribed for social and general anxiety and it definitely stopped working for that. The effects I got from my first 900mg's, many years ago, are still under my top 3 drug experiences but could never been reproduced. I just kept taking it because I was afraid of the withdrawal which should prove wrong in the end.

Major side effect I encountered was a fucked up short term memory, I remember watching the newest Spider Man in cinema and couldn't follow the plot because I kept forgetting what just happened. This was on 1.2g if I'm right but even 600mg/d felt kind of stupidity inducing.

Did you get stimulant and/or detached effects from these high dosages?

But I think you're lucky to having survived this high dose habit. My DOC I was primarily abusing were dissociatives (deschloroketamine) and at some point of ridiculously high dosing I began to encounter alarming physical effects, like water retention in the legs, pain in the testicles, eventually stuttering and slightly yellow-ish skin color, I think it could have killed me but I didn't think a second about quitting.

Yeah, it's a good aid for opioid withdrawal. Interestingly this effect appears to be there even with tolerance, I was prescribed 600mg/d morphine and 600mg/d pregabalin for months, the pregab had no more noticeable effects for a long time but I could still do a rapid taper of morphine down to around 90mg/d without suffering which I attribute to the pregabalin. It's a weird substance. But I got it prescribed for social and general anxiety and it definitely stopped working for that. The effects I got from my first 900mg's, many years ago, are still under my top 3 drug experiences but could never been reproduced. I just kept taking it because I was afraid of the withdrawal which should prove wrong in the end.

Major side effect I encountered was a fucked up short term memory, I remember watching the newest Spider Man in cinema and couldn't follow the plot because I kept forgetting what just happened. This was on 1.2g if I'm right but even 600mg/d felt kind of stupidity inducing.

Did you get stimulant and/or detached effects from these high dosages?

But I think you're lucky to having survived this high dose habit. My DOC I was primarily abusing were dissociatives (deschloroketamine) and at some point of ridiculously high dosing I began to encounter alarming physical effects, like water retention in the legs, pain in the testicles, eventually stuttering and slightly yellow-ish skin color, I think it could have killed me but I didn't think a second about quitting.
For opium wd it is a miricle pill put it this way day 3 of heroin wd i was on my lorry high on pregabalin rocking to led zeppelin in euphoric mood . The reason i flirt with addiction on them still is because i love the buzzz massive euphoria like a meth or coke high without the edginess on them

Memory is so bad on pregabalin when i was on 60 300 mg i could not recite band members from led zepp or pearl jam and i love rock for a day i could not remember jimmy pages name .

On those crazy doses i would say anything that i thought of crazy talking shit i felt a really great detached from the world feeling . I feel ashamed now but i once got out of my lorry after a load of 40 ton and thinking how fucked am i . And i would be super horny on them was lucky never to have an accident my joints hurt water on lungs retained water in stomach and my piss would be so foamy . In the mornings i could hear water squishing around my body and my wife got so worried she said when i was snoring it sounded like a death rattle . I thought i would have to spend my life get kidney dialysis my kidney function was low high levels of other chemicals creatine something like that and piss that was reddish color

I have been taking large doses of Pregabalin for a couple of weeks, about 2500mgs or a bit higher, I have about 25000mgs left and a balance owed to me on a prescription so I am at about 37000mgs all together, any advice,
How many have you got left if you only been on them a couple of weeks do a big cut then jump at the lowest you can before you jump don't leave it to long or un til your out it is a bad mental wd.

I personally fall for detached drug experiences, I once worded my natural state as being too 'attached' with permanent worries and anxieties, not the OCD variant where one would check 10 times whether the gas was off but intrusive throughts of similar intensity about all possible shit and specially occasions in my life where I failed to do my best and being emotionally overly sensitive in general. As drugs are notorious for impairing judgement, this became a downward spiral of more drug use leading to more mistakes which I would numb with more drugs. But even when happy I love feeling detached, and dissociatives give that to me. Pregabalin shares some activity with dissociatives, both being Ca channel inhibitors but I read conflicting stuff about that, there's one thread about how pregab was a disso and another one that it wasn't one. Also nobody knows why it has such an unbelievable tolerance profile (at least not to my knowledge). I gave up about pregabalin when I had that seizure, had difficulties walking even just from my bed to the toilet after that for 2-3 days, it's definitely nothing I want to experience ever again. Up to that incident I thought not to get seizures easily because I snorted my way through e.g. at least 10-15 150mg bupropion pills which are known for seizure risk and I got none. In retrospection I was just lucky I guess. I'd rather trade that luck for other stuff in my live though but that's like reversing time, makes good movie plots but impossible in reality.

Would absolutely love though if somebody came up with an analog substance which had a more favorable tolerance curve. This would be a success on the legal highs market for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah this is what I understand.
Found it true for gabapentin and when switched to pregabalin I basically stopped so never built a tolerance in like 2-3 years now...? I still love phenibut but hardly take that anymore. Never built a tolerance.
Ya know I am getting tired of taking shit. I am. Its getting old, dangerous and mf may end up in da big house. F That. lol
Peace gotta bounce gettin tl;dr for me

Yeah this is what I understand.
Found it true for gabapentin and when switched to pregabalin I basically stopped so never built a tolerance in like 2-3 years now...? I still love phenibut but hardly take that anymore. Never built a tolerance.
Ya know I am getting tired of taking shit. I am. Its getting old, dangerous and mf may end up in da big house. F That. lol
Peace gotta bounce gettin tl;dr for me
I feel what you mean my brother 31 years of fucking addictions don't let you be me otherwise you find yourself with your youth wasted and old age approaching without knowing how to be an adult without drugs as a crutch