• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Pregabalin (lyrica)

Endopharm

Bluelighter
After using clonazepam (klonopin) at 2-3mg per day for 10 years, for generalized anxiety disorder, I'm about to switch over to pregabalin

What should I expect during the first doses?

It's rather low, 3 weeks at 25mg 3x per day, then 3 weeks at 50mg 3x per day, then 75mg 3x per day.

I'm always hesitant to start new meds and being a scientist, I'll research the heck out of them and search for experiences (also have high functioning aspergers)

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!

Endo

I'd say the doc is overly cautious, specially when you switch from benzos after so long time you could profit of nearly 10x the dose, I personally started with 300mg, depending on your tolerance you might get a little drunken. A compromise would be 150mg. Unfortunately there's afaik no "prescription guide" stating the recommended dosages.

You could also cross-switch, taper the klonopin and during the same time titrate the pregab. Then the required doses are lower, 75mg should already potentiate.

Note that this is just my 2 cents and I'm no doctor (yet)

I'm down to 1mg of clonazepam now, I like your idea and thats probably exactly what my GP was thinking.

I have work this week so perhaps I'll wait until the weekend to try this where I'm in a more comfortable setting.

To be honest, I understand titration up, but in my research I thought the dose was so low I possibly wouldn't feel anything, but if that's the case and it was still anxiolytic, I'd be happy with that.

I'm just trying to function at my best and not abuse, and really want to know what to expect.

I'm new here and it seems there is tonnes of very caring and educated people, so I thought I'd fire the question.

Thank you kindly for your response! I hope your happy, healthy and safe!

Endo

After using clonazepam (klonopin) at 2-3mg per day for 10 years, for generalized anxiety disorder, I'm about to switch over to pregabalin
Yeah, 2-3mg of klon a day for ten years; I do not think 25mg 3xday is gonna do much. If it were me I would keep some klons at hand in case things do go awry.
Is there a plan in place to wean off the klons while slowly replacing it with the pregab?
I get that pregab is good for a lot of things but not sure how that would work out with klon cessation. I wouldn't trust 75mg a day to replace 2-3mg of klon personally.
Keep us posted? Curious as to how this does work out.
Thanks and best wishes

Yeah, 2-3mg of klon a day for ten years; I do not think 25mg 3xday is gonna do much. If it were me I would keep some klons at hand in case things do go awry.
Is there a plan in place to wean off the klons while slowly replacing it with the pregab?
I get that pregab is good for a lot of things but not sure how that would work out with klon cessation. I wouldn't trust 75mg a day to replace 2-3mg of klon personally.
Keep us posted? Curious as to how this does work out.
Thanks and best wishes
Yeah, I used a European method I suggested to my Dr. Over a year I got from 2-3mg per day to .5-1mg per day.

I have boatloads of clonazepam in lockup because usually 2mg sufficed. X that by 10 years lol, I have alot left over.

I generally feel ok at .5 or 1mg, but the first fee months at that dose were horrendous. Like a waking seizure all day and also very bad insomnia.

Thanks for your input and I will def. Keep you updated!

Endo

I've been on pregabalin for three years. It lowers your inhibitions, so you might do things like asking random people for a date - or something like that. Things you wouldn't normally do. Be careful! >_<

I've been on pregabalin for three years. It lowers your inhibitions, so you might do things like asking random people for a date - or something like that. Things you wouldn't normally do. Be careful! >_<
For me it does next to nothing after a year, I began to use higher dosages to maintain at least a little effects, like 900-1200mg :( never had truly lowered inhibitions on it, that just happened with acute high dosages before I developed complete tolerance to this chem. With dissociatives though I experienced what you describe ...

@schizopath Yeah there is some hindrance with learning, I realized that I have a hard time e.g. following a movie on higher dosages.. it doesn't totally fuck me up but is certainly not a nootropic.

tolerance rapidly builds to pregabalin. 225mg with no tolerance would have you tipsy, chatty, and maybe even saying embarrassing things. titrating up to it like you described, instead you’ll hardly even notice it. that doesn’t mean its a low dose; it isn’t.

taking pregabalin tid makes no sense. it doesn’t have the dose dependent bioavailability issue like gabapentin. it takes two hours to kick in and lasts all day. three times a day is wasting the third dose because you’ll be asleep by the time it’s helping.

like benzos, tolerance makes it questionable for everyday use.

if your issue is social anxiety, you’ll probably find it extremely beneficial. at least at first. unlike benzos, it has a drunken high to it that makes socializing easy.

This is a pretty unorthodox course of action man. Where should we start. Clonazepam (Klonopin) is a Benzodiazepine, as you know. Pregabalin (Lyrica) is classified as a Gabapentinoids, that is, a drug that acts upon similar receptors and in similar ways to, Gabapentin (Neurontin). First, these drugs are very often put into comparison as we are doing now. The best way I can describe their similarities is to a Ven Diagram, those to circles that intersect, implying they share some stuff but in other ways are completely different.

They are both drugs that are typically described as "sedating". If anything, this would probably be the #1 reported effect of both of these drugs. Benzodiazepines are far more predictable in action (in a specific person who has used them before), while Gabapentinoids are a little bit more elusive. Sometimes they sedate, sometimes people report consistent energy from them (myself included), they can cause myoclonic seizures. Lots of different stuff.

The thing is, a drug's subjective effect does not imply that the cause of that symptom is the same. We have many substances, herbs, drugs and in between that would be called "sedating". Ashwaghanda, Antihistamines, Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Bromides, hell, most people who take Melatonin would probably call it a "sedative".

The main issue here is that the mechanism of action is different between these drugs. Your body is highly unlikely to just accept the absence of Clonazepam without any kind of distress. I'm sorry to say that 2-3mg of Clonazepam is not insignificant. It's a dosage that can and does cause severe withdrawal. The fact that you've been on them for an entire decade is only going to exaxerbate that issues.

You absolutely should be tapering slowly and introducing the new drugs only when all parties are certain that you are okay with the switch. Withdrawal from sedative-hypnotics including Alcohol, Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates is an issue not just of discomfort but of safety. I'm not saying it's likely to kil you, but that doesn't mean it couldnt.

Just be careful and I would at least bring this stuff up with your doctor in a non-threatening way. Perhaps try to nudge the conversation in a direction that allows the prescriber to come to the idea himself, as that often leads to better outcomes with these types.

This is a pretty unorthodox course of action man. Where should we start. Clonazepam (Klonopin) is a Benzodiazepine, as you know. Pregabalin (Lyrica) is classified as a Gabapentinoids, that is, a drug that acts upon similar receptors and in similar ways to, Gabapentin (Neurontin). First, these drugs are very often put into comparison as we are doing now. The best way I can describe their similarities is to a Ven Diagram, those to circles that intersect, implying they share some stuff but in other ways are completely different.

They are both drugs that are typically described as "sedating". If anything, this would probably be the #1 reported effect of both of these drugs. Benzodiazepines are far more predictable in action (in a specific person who has used them before), while Gabapentinoids are a little bit more elusive. Sometimes they sedate, sometimes people report consistent energy from them (myself included), they can cause myoclonic seizures. Lots of different stuff.

The thing is, a drug's subjective effect does not imply that the cause of that symptom is the same. We have many substances, herbs, drugs and in between that would be called "sedating". Ashwaghanda, Antihistamines, Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Bromides, hell, most people who take Melatonin would probably call it a "sedative".

The main issue here is that the mechanism of action is different between these drugs. Your body is highly unlikely to just accept the absence of Clonazepam without any kind of distress. I'm sorry to say that 2-3mg of Clonazepam is not insignificant. It's a dosage that can and does cause severe withdrawal. The fact that you've been on them for an entire decade is only going to exaxerbate that issues.

You absolutely should be tapering slowly and introducing the new drugs only when all parties are certain that you are okay with the switch. Withdrawal from sedative-hypnotics including Alcohol, Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates is an issue not just of discomfort but of safety. I'm not saying it's likely to kil you, but that doesn't mean it couldnt.

Just be careful and I would at least bring this stuff up with your doctor in a non-threatening way. Perhaps try to nudge the conversation in a direction that allows the prescriber to come to the idea himself, as that often leads to better outcomes with these types.
Well aware but I'll give you some backround.

When I was 32 my wife was gone on a worktrip, I was home with the kids. I had crazy panic attack for the first time since I was 17, but I couldn't shake it. Usually it wouldn't last long, this wouldn't go away.

I was so shook I called my friend who is an emt, after an hour or two of trying to talk me down he took me to the ER. They gave me a clonazepam and with 30 minutes it was like nothing even happened.

The next day I seen my GP and he said it sounded like generalized anxiety disorder and he prescribed clonazepam and paroxetine. Well on the day, they had a psychiatrist there as well and I spent 2 hours with her. After telling her my day to day, she said it appeared I had some sort of "break". I was working way too much, taking care of the kids, constantly busy with them, cleaning, cooking, kids sports, fishing, camping etc. I was constantly busy. Any free time I had I was busy with my wife.

Anyhow, I had to stop the paroxetine because it always felt like I was being struck by lightning (this ended up with me trying every ssri snri all with the same results) one thing worked, clonazepam. No sedation for me at all, just axiomatic.

I never abused it and almost daily used less than prescribed.

One day I filled my prescription and went golfing with my kids. This is where I knew I had a problem. They had fell out of my bag and I lost them.

Thats all it took. I called my Dr. Told him what happened, and I told him we have to taper off, I was super scared and it was like I lost a hold or something. So I went through all my old RNCP notes and found a method to taper off. It took a year but I did get down to .5-1mg per day.

My GP was great, but he retired. Now I'm working with a GP I've never met because of covid, and she's all over the place. She says wild shit at times and I have to remind her I also practiced so she can't just lie to me because I will ask her to prove via studies to back what she is saying.

So this switch in her idea and I don't necessarily agree with it, but im also not necessarily apposed to it.

As long as it helps my anxiety I'll be ok with it.

Therapy helps to as well as CBT.

CBD, b complex, magnesium bisgycinate all assist too

Occasionally I'll find relief through cannabis or small doses of kratom

Just some back story

Endo

Don't let your guard down. Sometimes it takes a while. Took me a week or more after quitting alprazolam and its fast acting and "short lived". Not trying to destroy and hopes but also do not wanna congratulate yet.
Ya have pams on deck?

Don't let your guard down. Sometimes it takes a while. Took me a week or more after quitting alprazolam and its fast acting and "short lived". Not trying to destroy and hopes but also do not wanna congratulate yet.
Ya have pams on deck?
I'm roughly a week in and doing great for the most part. Sleep patterns are weird as fuck and I've kinda isolated myself other than going to therapy sessions, just because I'm not 100% sure what will happen at any given moment.

I also started pregabalin yesterday, which was kinda weird. That's an odd pharmaceutical. Euphoric, stimulating, relaxing, empathogenic, it's just all over the place. Kinda feels like 7 drugs in one.

But yes I have PAMS in the lockbox, only plant to use anything is a flight in august.

Kinda feels like 7 drugs in one
yeah its crazy af at higher doses. i cant function so do this every couple weeks or so. feels great but as stated.... weird. lol
looks like everything has worked out so far. are you tapering down from the pams and introducing pregab? Or what was decided on? Just drop the pams and ride out?
C oming off benzos are a bitch, IMO. But then I abused the hell out of it, so....

yeah its crazy af at higher doses. i cant function so do this every couple weeks or so. feels great but as stated.... weird. lol
looks like everything has worked out so far. are you tapering down from the pams and introducing pregab? Or what was decided on? Just drop the pams and ride out?
C oming off benzos are a bitch, IMO. But then I abused the hell out of it, so....
I did a few days at .5mg klonopin then stopped cold turkey.

I already had the pregabalin but wanted to ride it out abit and I also wanted to wait to see how it effected me(so no meetings or anything I had to actually do).

Ironically, Ime very hesitant these days to try new to me meds(wasn't much the case when I was 20 and had an RC license. Thankfully I stayed away from most hard drugs. I've only tried certain drugs so I could actually speak on them to clients at the time and know what they were feeling/talking about.

I've done cocaine maybe 5x, crack 1x, opiates maybe 15x(but most was in the hospital due to injury).

I dont like opiates( which is odd because I sporadically use kratom at low doses). I bought a variety pack maybe two years ago and I still have half of it left. Really never went over 2 grams ish(once daily dosing, no redosing)

Remember, I have high functioning aspergers, and drugs etc seem to effect me much differently than some others.

I've never done H, I've never even thought about meth, no flakka, none of that shit.

But I do like occasionally using psychedelics. I've done ibogaine, psilocybin, lsd, ketamine and mdma. But all that besides psilocybin was 15-20 years ago.