• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Pregabalin for heroin withdrawals

juniorcat

Bluelighter
I just went through heroin withdrawals which I'd been putting off for months by smoking H every day.

The first day and night were fucking awful. The next day I could barely move, but had an appointment at the doctors and thankfully got a lift cos I just wasn't gonna go if I had to walk. I was so exhausted having not slept all night what with horrible pain in my legs plus restless legs aches mad insomnia and anxiety.

Anyhow I discovered Pregabalin. I took 1200 mg and my restless legs and pain had gone. So had the anxiety depression, insomnia and pretty much most of the aches. The next day I took the same dose with less of the pleasant effects of the Pregabalin but the same relief from all of the withdrawal symptoms.

Why the fuck isn't this being used for opiate withdrawals instead of methadone and subutex

It really worked.

Take it again on day 3, youll feel even less of the effects, and on days 4 and 5 you will feel nothing. Pregabalin builds tolerance FAST. Also pop over to the pregabalin megathread to see what the withdrawals from it are like, and how long they last (sometimes months and can feel like hell).

How fast. Would taking the same dose three days in a row have vastly different results

It does really work. It's a very relaxing drug on it's own. Quite easy to just keep popping them. They are great with weed. And a godsend when it comes to opiate withdrawal. I imagine they would be quite useful for benzo withdrawal as well. Tolerance builds quite rapidly unfortunately. Chlordiazepoxide is great for withdrawal too, along with phenibut. But yeah I thought that doctors were prescribing this to folks who were withdrawing from opiates.

Last edited:
I take Pregabalin daily. It is excellent for opiate withdrawal - keep the dose as low as possible to achieve the benefit of easing significantly opiate withdrawal. But, if you take high dose Pregabalin for a week or two you will have horrific withdrawal problems if you stop abruptly. Having had horrible opiate withdrawal effects and Pregabalin withdrawal the latter is much much worse.

Pregabalin does not produce euphoria for me. It does make me more relaxed but not in a way that would make me want to abuse it.

In hospital a couple weeks back, there was a mix-up and I had to go without Suboxone for 48 hours and was starting to rattle pretty badly. (I've been on it a long time, and 12 to zero was rough). Luckily there was this dodgy bloke on my ward trading drugs for cash or goods, and I scored a handful of pregbalin caps off him, I believe they were 75's and they helped a hell of a lot with the restlessness and anxiety, though the aches and pains were still there. On pregbalin, I noticed I was also a lot more outgoing and talkative than usual.

I have been smoking tar well for about 9 months off and on. My ex got me hooked but he was so in disguise about it except his parents knew and so he had subs prescribed. however, after being sober off of it for a month or two-he would go back to asking me to get some shit with him- and i always was down except for the very end of our relationship-i said no a hundred times before he convinced me again. we would just take subs the day we quit for like 3 days and after i feel brand new. well- i dont have subs anymore. after we broke up i relapsed bc the break up and many other things were rlly hard on me n i didnt know how to cope with my feelings. i started smoking black tar again in september and i was high as shit on that for like 3 months straight. then in december i met a guy i liked n i wanted to quit - i was scared shitless of WD's so i was attempting to wing myself down so i chose to smoke a piece in the am everyday but once a day and everyday went smaller piece and again next day-same thing, went down a smaller piece. but then i started smokign a little bit more again this january n now feb. but i havent smoked tar for 1 whole day- and now this is the morning on day 2. the day before i smoked the smallst piece and it made me nothing but sick feeling. so i bought kratom from the smoke shop because i heard it helps a lot. i been taking it for 3 days now, considering its morning of day 3 on kratom because i bought it immedietly when i felt sick again. and honestly ive been taking a benzo here and there thru out of the day like a football of xanax and i feel actualy prety good. i popped like 4 kratoms int he morning (thats the suggesteed serving size 2-4) but i will take like 5 sometimes. so this is day 3 i feel kind of shitty runny nose and stuff but overalll ifeel well. just have a little insomnia so i woke up at 430am popped my kratom smoked like 4bowls to my face and im on a level. i know im basically stilll getting high but i need it for at least 1 or more days so i can get thru the withdrawals. idk if i will get a wd from the kratom-maybe but i heard it not too bad actually. im really trying to quit for real this time. i have disconnected my affiliation with anyone thats into that shit. ive been strugglign with this addiction forever and i dont even wish it on my worst enemy. its the worst drug ever and it will ruin your life if you dont stop now. thats what im telling myself and i believe that truly your brain power has a lot to do with it. i think i'll be okay. this kid who was a heroin addict gave me serequil pills and etc, but i only have serequil now, and kratom . i was wondering if the two is good mix or not??

lyrica is amazing for opiate withdrawals. for minor WDs it will almost completely eliminate the negative aspects of the WD process.

For more severe habits lyrica can help tremendously in WDs. The restless legs and arms, the tossing and turning and the lack of sleep will be taken.

You have to take massive doses of lyrica. well over the maximum daily dose prescribed by a doctor. 600-1200mg is required for me. Some people could be more sensitive to lyrica so it is important if you've never had lyrica before to start with a low dose and work yourself up.

You will be pretty fucked on such high doses of lyrica. You will act like you are drunk. I find the effects of high dose lyrica pleasant but others do not.
Some people experience WDs from lyrica while others do not. I would taper down from such a high dose over about a week once you get over the initial opiate WDs to avoid any lyrica WDs.

Tolerance to lyrica builds rapidly. make sure you dont waste your lack of tolerance by relapsing on day 3 or something and then trying to continue. It is manageable if you take something like this and dont fuck about: (this is my dose level, you need to find your own)
No opiates (perhaps small doses of loperamide for the shits)
Day 1-5: 1200mg
Day 5-20: drop dose by 100mg/day.
The last 3 days I would take 100mg each day and then stop. This should help you get out of the hole you've dug for yourself. It really is like a life-hack for opiate WD.

I suspect that lyrica will become more popular in the more foreward thinking detox centre in the near future. However I cant imagine they will give doses over 600mg/day.

I have been smoking tar well for about 9 months off and on. My ex got me hooked but he was so in disguise about it except his parents knew and so he had subs prescribed. however, after being sober off of it for a month or two-he would go back to asking me to get some shit with him- and i always was down except for the very end of our relationship-i said no a hundred times before he convinced me again. we would just take subs the day we quit for like 3 days and after i feel brand new. well- i dont have subs anymore. after we broke up i relapsed bc the break up and many other things were rlly hard on me n i didnt know how to cope with my feelings. i started smoking black tar again in september and i was high as shit on that for like 3 months straight. then in december i met a guy i liked n i wanted to quit - i was scared shitless of WD's so i was attempting to wing myself down so i chose to smoke a piece in the am everyday but once a day and everyday went smaller piece and again next day-same thing, went down a smaller piece. but then i started smokign a little bit more again this january n now feb. but i havent smoked tar for 1 whole day- and now this is the morning on day 2. the day before i smoked the smallst piece and it made me nothing but sick feeling. so i bought kratom from the smoke shop because i heard it helps a lot. i been taking it for 3 days now, considering its morning of day 3 on kratom because i bought it immedietly when i felt sick again. and honestly ive been taking a benzo here and there thru out of the day like a football of xanax and i feel actualy prety good. i popped like 4 kratoms int he morning (thats the suggesteed serving size 2-4) but i will take like 5 sometimes. so this is day 3 i feel kind of shitty runny nose and stuff but overalll ifeel well. just have a little insomnia so i woke up at 430am popped my kratom smoked like 4bowls to my face and im on a level. i know im basically stilll getting high but i need it for at least 1 or more days so i can get thru the withdrawals. idk if i will get a wd from the kratom-maybe but i heard it not too bad actually. im really trying to quit for real this time. i have disconnected my affiliation with anyone thats into that shit. ive been strugglign with this addiction forever and i dont even wish it on my worst enemy. its the worst drug ever and it will ruin your life if you dont stop now. thats what im telling myself and i believe that truly your brain power has a lot to do with it. i think i'll be okay. this kid who was a heroin addict gave me serequil pills and etc, but i only have serequil now, and kratom . i was wondering if the two is good mix or not??

This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread and the lack of paragraph structure and proper grammar/spelling/capitalization make it very unpleasant to read through. In any case, please make your own thread.

sorry for the bump mods but i haven't found many threads on the subject

You have to take massive doses of lyrica. well over the maximum daily dose prescribed by a doctor. 600-1200mg is required for me. Some people could be more sensitive to lyrica so it is important if you've never had lyrica before to start with a low dose and work yourself up.

You will be pretty fucked on such high doses of lyrica. You will act like you are drunk. I find the effects of high dose lyrica pleasant but others do not.
Some people experience WDs from lyrica while others do not. I would taper down from such a high dose over about a week once you get over the initial opiate WDs to avoid any lyrica WDs.

Tolerance to lyrica builds rapidly. make sure you dont waste your lack of tolerance by relapsing on day 3 or something and then trying to continue. It is manageable if you take something like this and dont fuck about: (this is my dose level, you need to find your own)
No opiates (perhaps small doses of loperamide for the shits)
Day 1-5: 1200mg
Day 5-20: drop dose by 100mg/day.
The last 3 days I would take 100mg each day and then stop. This should help you get out of the hole you've dug for yourself. It really is like a life-hack for opiate WD.

I suspect that lyrica will become more popular in the more foreward thinking detox centre in the near future. However I cant imagine they will give doses over 600mg/day.

A couple of questions....

1. Say you have your last shot at 8pm and go to sleep. When would you take your first dose of lyrica?

2. Could you say wait for WD to hit and then take Lyrica, progressively dosing say 100mg an hour until you find a dose that works? Or is it better to take the lyrica before the WD hits at all?

3. I hear that Lyrica potentiates opiates. I was planning after 24 hours to induct on to suboxone. Should i be careful about how much bupe i take. Traditionally when i induct onto bupe i have to take fuck loads (normally on 4mg but when i induct i can take up to 24-32mg). What's the rule with lyrica? Does it double/triple the strength of the opiates?

Is it better to take the bupe say 3-5 hours after your last dose of lyrica?

4. I took 100mg as a test and it seem to banish the sweats and so on. Do you think that seeing its a lower dose that say 700mg that I won't find myself going through lyrica withdrawals if i choosed to use it for two weeks?

Last edited:
sorry for the bump mods but i haven't found many threads on the subject

A couple of questions....

1. Say you have your last shot at 8pm and go to sleep. When would you take your first dose of lyrica?

2. Could you say wait for WD to hit and then take Lyrica, progressively dosing say 100mg an hour until you find a dose that works? Or is it better to take the lyrica before the WD hits at all?

3. I hear that Lyrica potentiates opiates. I was planning after 24 hours to induct on to suboxone. Should i be careful about how much bupe i take. Traditionally when i induct onto bupe i have to take fuck loads (normally on 4mg but when i induct i can take up to 24-32mg). What's the rule with lyrica? Does it double/triple the strength of the opiates?

Is it better to take the bupe say 3-5 hours after your last dose of lyrica?

4. I took 100mg as a test and it seem to banish the sweats and so on. Do you think that seeing its a lower dose that say 700mg that I won't find myself going through lyrica withdrawals if i choosed to use it for two weeks?

Hello Chugs. This is a great thread. I'm glad you re opened the thread. Lyrica is a great, multi purpose drug.

You did not state how much of a habit you are coming off. Feel free to reply with those amounts.
If you never took Lyrica, you do not have to take massave dosages. I will try to give you and anyone else the best advice possible.

1. It depends on how long your shot lasts. Say it wears off by 4 am. ( I don't know the duration, so just roll with it) If you are coming down, I would start with no more then 300mg. Lyrica is very strong. Also, get your head straight. Positive thinking will help you out. Now take 300mg and see how you are feeling. Take it before you go into withdrawals. It takes about an hour to two hours to hit peak. Give it a chance before you start jacking up the Lytica dosage.

I dont know how much Lyrica you have. If you are coming off a heavy dose of opiates, 600mg is as much as you need. That is a excellent dose. So start at 300mg and go up to 600mg if you need to. This may not erase all you're symptoms but will take a major bite out of them and you will not jack up your Lyrica tolerance.

2. Lyrica boosts opiates (subjectively) when you take them before the opiate. Yes, start taking the Lyrica before the opiate wears off. I would again start at 300 mg
and if want, raise the dose by 100 mg or what ever size pill you have roughly every hour or so, till you get to your dose. Make sure you give it time to work

3. I do not know how Lyrica interacts with bupe, but I'm sure you can take less buoe while using Lyrica. You will have to determine the ratio of Lyrica to bupe.

4. Lyrica can cause withdrawal symptoms. Two weeks is not a very long time. The literature that comes with the Lyrica and the offical Lyrica states that you can come off it in a week. If you have enough Lyrica, you can taper it down longer, like two weeks. That should be enough time.

i must say, a lot of people complain about how hard it is coming off Lyrica. It is subjective. In my opinion, if you keep your focus on your goal of getting clean, you will have no problem coming off Lyrica. Make your own mind up about your experience. Don't let others put bad ideas in your head. I'm telling you, it's not that bad. Keep your focus on your getting clean.

I have used Lyrica for years. I have used different dosages and withdrawn plenty of times. It is what you make of it.

if you need help or have questions, PM me.

Speed King

i really like this thread - good advice.

i posted something similar elsewhere, but will ask you all as well: anyone have any experience using clonidine or loperamide to lessen the effects of WD's? curious as to whether either one actually helps. i understand that loperamide doesn't remain across the BBB for long, but have heard large doses still help somehow. thanks in advance for any info

Hi Guys

So thanks for the reply speed king. I was using around 600-900mg a day of street heroin so probably only 50-70% purity. The bender i've been on has been for a about 1-2 months and I"ve been using bupe for a good 2 years now.

So i had my last shot at 1am and my first lyrica at 7:30 AM, approx 200 MG. I just had another 100-200mg of lyrica at 8:20 AM but i'm definitely feeling the waves of dope sickness. My plan is to use lyrica until i get to 1 AM again where i plan to induct on to buprenorphine.

I'm definitely going between a 8/10 (1 being absolute shit withdrawal and 8-10 being functional/good) to a 6/10 so its been an interesting ride...Considering that I am only 7+ h hours into my plan i'm disappointed the harry wore off so soon.

Anyway I have two options

- break and try again on the weekend (in 24 hours). Considering that I've had 100-3000mg of Lyrica already will this debt contribute to my lyrica limit (10 days @ 600-900mg a day)?

- continue. The problem is that I have certain responsibilities that I cannot discharge so unless the lyrica keeps me at a 8/10+ I will have to break.

Anyway thank you all for your advice and support. I really really appreciate it.

So thanks for the reply speed king. I was using around 600-900mg a day of street heroin so probably only 50-70% purity. The bender i've been on has been for a about 1-2 months and I"ve been using bupe for a good 2 years now.

out of curiosity - how are you using bupe at the same time as dope? i always thought that would result in precipitated withdrawals. sort of off your topic so i apologize, just interested in how it's possible to mix the two.

i'm not using bupe at the sametime. I stopped using the bupe 1-2 months ago and now i'm using heroin exclusively.

looove lyrica man oh man.
I sure wouldn't mind a gram or two of that in my system right now ...or anytime.
nobody supplies shit like that around here, at least not anyone who anyone I've met knows of ...all anybody's ever interested in are hard opiates and meth, save an occasional barhead and some spice freaks ...oh yeah definitely some crackheads too, or at least there used to be, honestly though I think many of them have switched to the tweak in recent years...and you know, supply/demand.
I remember it was what ...like about 8 years ago? that some crackhead dealer's wife that my boyfriend knew through his cousin got lots of lyrica for free via sample bottles from her doctor and hardly used it so we got it cheap. man I loved that stuff. SO much fucking fun it's unbelievable. I haven't had any in at least 7 if not 8 years. =( I miss it.

/slightlyofftopicrambling

I've used Lyrica to withdraw from prescribed opiates, granted that I choose to detox and Hydrocodone isn't Heroin. SpeedKing may be right on in the dosages but I find the lower dose of 150 mg three times a day adequate to be functional. It does make me spacey, a little like being drunk, but it seems to help with the chills, and definitely reduces the anxiety and pain. I'm on day 6 and have had very mild symptoms.YMMV.

I've used Lyrica to withdraw from prescribed opiates, granted that I choose to detox and Hydrocodone isn't Heroin. SpeedKing may be right on in the dosages but I find the lower dose of 150 mg three times a day adequate to be functional. It does make me spacey, a little like being drunk, but it seems to help with the chills, and definitely reduces the anxiety and pain. I'm on day 6 and have had very mild symptoms.YMMV.

You having to withdraw again tinker? Is it just a stop gap between scripts? You've got my utmost sympathy as I know just how shitty it is to be in opiate withdrawl in between scripts when you know reief is just around the corner and it almost seems like dead time until you get your next lot of meds.....

With regard to the somewhat unpleasant spaceyness from pregabalin though. I've found it really unpleasant but after a couple of days it seems to disappear (only to come back again if they are discontinued and the restarted). I know some people like that spacey feeling but to me it always seems really unpleasant.....a bit like when you've had too much to drink and the room starts spinning and you need to throw up. Doesn't seem like a desirable thing to me.....

I know this is a late response guys. I apologize. If anyone wants to discuss any of this further, including those of you that are unrelated to the thread, PM me, anytime. Lyrica( and its relative Gabapentin) is subjective as you can get, when it comes to withdrawal from opiates/opioids. You can count on your mileage varying. Reading up on Lyrica, including how it works, bioavailability, time to peak, etc, will help you determine the best way to use the medication, as an aid to your withdrawal. There is no clean cut dosage to take. 300 mg to 600 mg is usually a sweet spot, that a lot of people find as a helpful dose. Just be prepared to adjust your dosage accordingly. Any more questions or ideas, post them here and we'll keep this thread going. Remember, YMMV and all is subjective.