• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Precipitated withdrawal and Clonidine

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
Question concerning drug interactions in the midst of precipitated withdrawal:

Is Clonidine advisable during the period of ongoing precipitated withdrawal? Leaning towards 'yes', barring the following complications:

1) No other opioid involved aside from differing doses of Buprenorphine; 'Buprenorphine overdose' symptoms (cold skin, sweating, dry mouth, irritability/inability to concentrate, RLS) match closely to 'Buprenorphine withdrawal' symptoms- cold skin, mild fever, RLS, goosebumps, profuse sweating, yawning, nausea/no appetite, etc. All of the above present, matching both lists of 'overdose' and 'withdrawal', leading to the conclusion of precipitated withdrawal through too much Suboxone-- all of which is what eventually led to the extremely ill advised, panic-induced dose adjustments of taking more in the midst of OD/precip. withdrawals over the last 7-10 days. Less concerned with this bit of information since its been 30+ hours since last bupe dose and have no intention of taking anymore until more severe withdrawal symptoms begin (pupil dilation, etc.) and histamine-responses have subsided meaning the excess Buprenorphine has come and gone.

2) Ingestion of caffeine, particularly via chocolate, appears to help the gooseflesh, cold skin and cold sweats for a time. Have ingested regular daily amount of coffee and a bit more chocolate than normal the last couple days. Wondering if there is some kind of anti-histamine type action there. However, caffiene + withdrawal symptoms eventually leads to what you'd expect (been several hours since the last cup of coffee).

3) Also prescribed Mirtazepine/Remeron, which has conflicting reports on concurrent use with Clonidine. Prescribing doctor of all 3 is less than reliable on medical knowledge; I have prior experience with Clonidine before getting on Remeron, thinking about breaking a 0.1 Clonidine into quarters and trying a quarter at a time on this first full day without Buprenorphine.

Anyway, two questions:

-Is Clonidine advisable in precipitated withdrawal in general?

-Is Clonidine at any dosage advisable in the ridiculous scenario outlined above? Figured it might be a good idea due to the various benefits, from reducing RLS, sweating, etc.

It's hard to go wrong with Clonidine. For most people it carries low risk of harmful side-effects. I'd say there aren't many substances better than Clonidine for withdrawal, Normal or precipitated.

Everyone's body is different, but I currently take Clonidine (.3mg per day) and Mirtazapine (45 mgs per day) and I've never had any problems aside from the well documented side effects of each drug separately.

Kudos for checking before wrecking with the medication though. If I were in PWD's I'd be gobbling up every pill in sight that could have a remote chance of making me feel better.

Thank you KR; I was hoping to hear from someone who had been on both at the same time, which is very reassuring. the idea of having a large supply of Clonidine on hand (and looking at it) to be used at any second is what is helping the most- realizing now that the disbelief/crushing disappointment/etc that would follow if it didn't help is scaring me more than not trying it for the moment

Thank you for this post Tchort; I had been wondering about this subject as well. Just wanted to thank you for taking the initiative to ask about it.