• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prazosin hinderance to GABA-centrics?

GMoney72316

Greenlighter
I take in 300mg of pregabalin (lyrica) and 1.5 mg of clonazepam daily. Recently, the lowest dose of prazosin (1mg I think, I don't have the bottle in front of me) was added to the mix. I take the Lyrica and clonazepam for legitimate issues, nerve pain and anxiety respectively, but I also enjoy them as well if you know what I mean. The prazosin is for PTSD related night terrors.

All of my meds are prescribed, and urine testing/pill counts keeps me in check when it comes to abuse. I don't mind the accountability when I think back on where heroin/cocaine/meth addiction took me for years until 6 1/2 months ago, but I digress...

The first dose of prazosin actually produced a pronounced amount of extra drowiness, which I didn't mind. However, after a week or so, I feel like I've lost a dramatic amount of the mildly euphoric, anxiety crushing, nerve soothing power that lyrica and clonazepam have previously given me.

Is it possible that prazosin in some way obstructs or in any way inhibits the GABA activity lyrica and clonazepam contribute to and thrive on? Is anyone out there informed on the effects of prazosin on benzos, pregabalin, or "downers" in general?

I don't know if this is worth noting, but I am on buprenorphine (subutex) as well. I've never gotten high off of it (trust me, I tried, and went through a lot of St. John's Wart doing so) and have abandoned any notion that I will. I was on 16mg bupe for several months, combination sublingual and intranasal, though I recently decided to stop pretending that snorting the shit had any value and have steadily reduced my daily intake to between 2-4mg sublingually.

Other than tolerance (I have never had substances lose potency that rapidly and dramatically), any ideas on why my lyrica and clonazepam are suddenly near-worthless? In the (self) interest of harm reduction, I would rather not up my dose, which I would have to do that skip-double-skip-double crap to make happen.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't enjoy a buzz, but I would settle for my meds atleast doing what they're supposed to for their labeled purpose. While the night terrors suck horrid sweaty asshole, I would give up the prazosin if it is interfering with my ability to get through the day without soul crushing anxiety and nerve pain. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thoughts?