• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Potency of Agomelatine Vs Bupropion on Noradrenaline and Dopamine?

It wouldn't, but im not sure how good a combo it would be considering they share quite a few properties. You'd gain the NRI part though.

I also use Nortriptyline as a base drug, ive augmented it with SSRIs, RIMAs & full MAOIs. I found it best with SSRIs.

With Mirtazapine it's best augment is an SNRI, that's where it becomes the famed "California rocket fuel" and it has double the remission rate of an SSRI monotherapy, and on par with low dose MAOI efficiency.

I responded to CRF only in terms of the degree to which noradrenaline is implicated by effexor.

i.e. - not all that much.

Lofepramine also appears to be a TCA that implicates NA significantly...
And binds more weakly to serotonin than nortriptyline.

I'm not sure the degree to which it's considered activating however.

Oh, and amoxapine.

Seems to have a relatively strong effect on NE, without the side effect profile of TCA's.

Having spent a few hours reviewing the Ki values for various drugs, as well as the claim that 5HT2c downregulation results in the disinhibition of NA and DA, the corresponding Ki value for agomelatine would suggest of course that, its not very strong at all.
Weaker than prozac...
And certainly in contrast to its affinity for melatonergic receptors, it could be said that NA implications are negligible.
Yet it's marketed as having a strong impact on NA....

But there was a poster that mentioned, in terms of the neurochemical implication, it can go beyond the Ki binding values - and they are not especially a definitive means to establish a drugs potency for implicating a specific neurochemical.

On that note - by example, having a look at Olanzapine - it has strong affinity for the alpha 2 adrenergic receptor, a blockade, which should theoretically positively effect NE levels.
As well as blockade at 2c serotonergic receptor subtype - again disinhibiting the release of NE.

Contrasting this to mirtazipine - exhibiting similar affinities for similar receptors - and claiming to be a, "NaSSA" - noradrenaline AD.
Also comparing the histamine blockade potency...
I mean, olanzapine is strong in that capacity, almost at a par with remeron.

So looking exclusively at their binding profiles, they should exhibit, in some manner, relatively similar modes of action.

But anecdotally, if you will, taking myself as an example, I showed - ZERO, response - of any kind, to olanzapine.

Did not assist with sleep - antihistamine action, did nothing.
Did not improve mood/energy - noradrenergic action.
Hell it even has a relative affinity for the M1 mACH receptor - and I didn't even get dry mouth, let alone orthostatic hypertension.

Mirtazipine - fantastic.
Great for sleep - antihistamine action.
Tremendous restoration of functionality - same mechanism of action on NE - alpha 2 blockade, 5ht2c blockade.
Forget serotonin - I don't respond to serotonergics.

So - this is a comparison made solely on the binding affinity Ki values.

Yet the contrast is obvious.
Very similar Ki values - very different results.

So what else exactly is there to take into consideration with these drugs, aside from their binding values, which impact the neurochemical balance - which is, from what I understand, their whole purpose and mode of action.

Please don't say, "they're just different...."

What is it about them that, despite similar values - yield very different results?

Three weeks in on full dose of lofepramien - it started out promising - as it seemed to do away with IBS, as a result of the NRI action - other drugs have shown this also.

But it's certainly not at a point I'd like it to be.

How long does it take for tricyclics to reach a point of full efficacy?
I've heard they can be slower than more modern drugs.

Some seriously sketchy reviews on lofepramine which I'm only paying attention to now also. in terms of efficacy.

Is it true that with tricyclics, when you go off them, then on them again - they don't work second time around?

Next step to further potentiate the NA effect is to replace mirtazapine with mianserin.