• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pot and work: 5 small firms pledge not to fire workers for using medical marijuana

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
With all the concerns confronting Illinois' medical cannabis pilot program — not enough patients, not enough qualifying conditions, not enough time — a handful of Chicago-area employers want their workers to know that they don't have to worry about job security.

Five small companies — a law firm, a real estate services firm, two health care organizations and a nightclub — have announced their intentions to support employees who use medical marijuana. It's a tangled topic across the country, with state laws permitting pot use clashing with federal laws that don't, and employers seeking to balance employee needs and rights against workplace safety.

Feliza Castro, founder of The Healing Clinic, which helps people register for cannabis cards, and Justice for Patients, a nonprofit advocacy group, recruited the companies to go public with their decisions in hopes that they will set an example for others to follow.

Cont at
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-companies-with-pot-policies-0205-biz-20160205-story.html

I don't understand why this isn't universal. I'm an ex heroin addict with chronic pain and have been prescribed oxycodone on and off for last 5 years. If I didn't have a wife that took it upon herself to hold my script I'd be in serious trouble quick and yet these meds are given routinely and looked upon as legit pain meds while mj is still heavily demonized and people lose jobs despite it to be proven to be much less harmful.
I live in a state where mj was recently decriminalized and legalized medically yet trying to find a doctor to prescribe it is very difficult and expensive because no insurance will cover the med or a trip to the docs office to get it prescribed.
Kudos to these companies,it's nice to see someone fucking gets it!!!

That's awesome. I don't know why more states don't include protections for medical marijuana patients. I mean, I can imagine in the beginning, but more recently? Even in the California law passed October 2015 there's 0 workplace protections. I believe only DC included them in the law.