• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Posting to gain insight on dextroamphetamine and klonopin that is prescribed together

Makyph

Greenlighter
TLDR in parentheses
(I have been taking klonopin for three years now along with an antipsychotic to treat schizophrenia and panic attacks/anxiety. The combination of those drugs made me so sluggish and I noticed my measure of intelligence to drop coupled with avolition and finding it extremely hard to get things done)
I have started taking dextroamphetamine with my klonopin both as prescribed 15mg dextroamphetamine twice a day and 1mg klonopin once a day.
I have noticed that I am not jittery or anxious throughout the morning and some of the afternoon until I take my second dose of dextroamphetamine.
I don't understand why the klonopin seems to have no effects after my second dose of amphetamines my research says klonopins half life is 30-40 hours
But after mid day I feel like there is absolutely no klonopin in my system
So I am hoping someone can give me some insight on this issue and what my plan of action should be
Should I switch to a longer acting benzodiazepine?
Should I take a higher dose of klonopin?
Should I increase the frequency of my klonopin?
Should I take .5 klonopin in the morning and .5 in the afternoon?
I really like the dose of dextroamphetamine and I feel like it is doing its job
No more sleeping in and being lazy and I am productive seven days a week but I have to deal with jitters anxiety and panic attacks
Has anyone experienced something similar?
I would really appreciate your input!
Thank you!
-Matthew
(First post on bluelight)

We are literally on about the same drugs. Adderall XR 20mg, and 1 .5mg klonopin a day that I substitute clonozolam with occasionally.

For me I find the klonopin seems to last a good 6-7 hours, and the clonozolam even longer at the same dose.

For you I would do .5mg KPIN with your dex dose, then in the afternoon another .5 with your second dex dose.

Thank you! I will try it I hope it works
I have a high tolerance to klonopin I have been on it for almost three years and I have increased the dose once recently so me being on the drug for so long I'm kind of skeptical. The feeling of the 1mg in the morning with the dextroamphetamine is perfect. But the truth is a raise in the dose isn't happening for another month anyway so that is really my only option. I will never usurp it's too much of a risk I want to be trusted by my doctor and stay out of trouble. Do you think it would be more effective or do you think it's the best option to get me by? Because I am strongly considering starting a higher dose next month.

Thank you! I will try it I hope it works
I have a high tolerance to klonopin I have been on it for almost three years and I have increased the dose once recently so me being on the drug for so long I'm kind of skeptical. The feeling of the 1mg in the morning with the dextroamphetamine is perfect. But the truth is a raise in the dose isn't happening for another month anyway so that is really my only option. I will never usurp it's too much of a risk I want to be trusted by my doctor and stay out of trouble. Do you think it would be more effective or do you think it's the best option to get me by? Because I am strongly considering starting a higher dose next month.

I have a high tolerance as well, but refuse to go over my .5mg a day because I do not want to be more dependent on benzos. Most days I feel fine and some days my anxiety is still through the roof.

Considering the half life of klonopin 1 single dose would be more ideal I would think but you say you start feeling it wear off so in your case I think it would be better and would get you by until you can get a stronger dose. I still advise against increasing benzo doses though.

Have you tried Valium?

What about taking half as much adderall(?) in the afternoon? Is it extended release or immediate? Maybe 20 (or 30) mg XR just once in the morning?

I take adderall for energy as well as I have a disease that causes a lot of fatigue. I honestly don't feel much more energy if I take it a second time during the day. It might keep me from falling asleep a bit longer, but doesn't feel like it actually gives me energy like the first dose. I've even taken a second pill an hour or 2 after the first and notice nothing else almost like I didn't take it. But maybe that's just me.

You could also do as suggested and split the benzo. But I have a feeling half your normal amount won't do a lot for you but worth a try. Maybe a second 0.5 mg in the afternoon along with current dose will be enough to get plasma levels back up to a therapeutic level later in the afternoon. Assuming your Dr will go for that.

I too take klonopin and Adderall together. 1mg of kpin 3x a day and 10mg of Adderall IR once a day, I was just put on Adderall my last doctor visit, and I am fine with my dose for the klonopin but I feel like I may need to get an increase in my Adderall dosage because 10mg a day isn't cutting it for me, no matter which ROA I use it. I feel better if I take like 20mg of amp with the 3mg of kpin and I also take around 8mg of subutex a day.

If I were you OP I would ask to try valium or increase your klonopin dose if at all possible.. I used to take valium and liked just as much or actually maybe even better than klonopin.

I am also worried about being dependent on benzodiazepines but the truth is I have a debilitating mental illness and I suffer from anxiety I have tried everything to control it benzos are the only thing that works with no unpleasant side effects.
I have thought about switching to Valium my doctor is open to experimentation and truly listens to my descriptions of symptoms. I do think Valium is the best option I'm just wondering if I should start with a higher equivalent dose to avoid suffering for a month it's hard for me to see him early and anxiety medicine isn't something I can just discontinue or go without

If you have a good relationship with your Dr don't be afraid to try something new. If it isn't working after a day or two call and leave a msg and tell him what's going on. He or likely a nurse will call back and likely tell you to try a higher dosage or see if you want to go back to old med. They can also write a new Rx and leave at front desk in their office so you can pick it up and then discuss at next appointment. They know you can't stop taking the meds and calling can be a convenient way of adjusting things between visits.

You can even ask him at your appt if you change meds, what happens if it doesn't work well for me? Can I call and get a recommendation on what to do? If you are worried about it, just ask. They can't leave you in a bad spot with meds that aren't working well with that type of condition. If he knows you a lot can be done by phone in between appts. Might take a few calls and a day but it shouldn't be a problem. I've done it lots over the years.

I am on dextroamphetamine as on off label prescription to help with the symptoms of schizophrenia and the side effects of my second generation antipsychotic. So the dose works best for my symptoms and side effects at a higher level that is where your and my treatment plan differs it's not just for wakefulness I take it for mood benefit, motor function and movement problems, high level cognitive function, ability to be analytical, ability for abstract thought, reduction of avoltion caused by my anti-P, disorganized speech, and the ability to read without the symptom of inhibition (similar to dyslexia)
My anxiety medicine doesn't just treat anxiety and racing thoughts it makes me carry myself differently i.e. Movement the way I sit and position myself and it helps me function in levels of intimacy that is very tough for someone with my diagnosis
So in my situation a high dose of both medications works wonders I'm more than functional I can exceed my expectations and fit in to a professional setting.

If you have a good relationship with your Dr don't be afraid to try something new. If it isn't working after a day or two call and leave a msg and tell him what's going on. He or likely a nurse will call back and likely tell you to try a higher dosage or see if you want to go back to old med. They can also write a new Rx and leave at front desk in their office so you can pick it up and then discuss at next appointment. They know you can't stop taking the meds and calling can be a convenient way of adjusting things between visits.

You can even ask him at your appt if you change meds, what happens if it doesn't work well for me? Can I call and get a recommendation on what to do? If you are worried about it, just ask. They can't leave you in a bad spot with meds that aren't working well with that type of condition. If he knows you a lot can be done by phone in between appts. Might take a few calls and a day but it shouldn't be a problem. I've done it lots over the years.
I appreciate your input I think it is worth a try to contact them early I am getting by on what I have but at the cost of my relationships suffering and panic attacks at school which drives me to take more than I am prescribed even though I know it's foolish I would rather have a high dose on days with high stress levels and no dose on days where I'm around the house hermitting on my piano

I would definitely give him a call and say you enjoy the energy and things you can accomplish with the adderall (or similar) and it's helping a great deal. But that it seems your klonopin loses efficacy in the afternoon and you think you may need a small dose to carry you thru the rest of the day as you are starting to have panic attacks. Or something like that as you know what you would like to try.

Since klonopin is a longer acting drug, I bet 0.5mg with get you back up to an effective level since you will still have some in you. Or if you want to try the valium tell him that. He knows your health and knows you might need a change up as long as it's reasonable. I don't think a couple mg of stronger benzos is a big risk. With a short taper it should be easy to lower back down.

The more you talk to your Dr and keep them in the loop, the more they will trust you and will do things that they might not do for a patient they don't know a lot about. But in your case little adjustments along the way are probably almost a necessity so don't even think twice about giving him a call anytime you feel the need to speak with him (or her).