• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Post-use brain effects/damage?? Electrical zinger sensations

sb_33

Greenlighter
Sup everybody...

Let me just preface this by stating first that i am well aware that there is an OBVIOUS answer to this question... thats not what im lookin for, but rather some relateable experiences. ok

So im just concluding a moderate m-amp binge of about 3 weeks or so (used every day save for two or three days [unforseen circumstances] in the amount of about .5-1.0 G a day, smoked or plugged or both) and have been clean for 3 days now. I don't use any other drugs/alcohol at the moment, i'm on my 3rd month of Vivitrol treatment for opiates and havent used any other drugs since then, except coke about a month ago. I plan on continuing to use, but this run just lasted a bit too long and iam grateful that i can just "stop" using uppers based on rational decision making, unlike my opiate addiction (which hasnt been even been more than a passing thought since starting the Vivitrol :D)

The last few days, and especially tonight, hence the post, i have noticed that randomly (while sitting, [MOSTLY] standing, walking, driving) i will get what i can only describe as a light electrical surge in my head, almost like the beginning of when you stand up after sitting down and almost black out/ears ring due to lack of oxygen (so i've heard). It zinged me like 3-4 times in a minute while i was standing leaning against the kitchen counter filling out my absentee ballot for the US election... I voted for Bill Murray for President. #America

It feels just like a reminder from my brain saying *HEY...THAT SHIT YOU SMOKIN....I DONT LIKE DAT SHIT* Real quick, 2-3 sec, no blackout or anything, just like.. ok.

The only other time that i have had this happen was 6-7 years ago when i was using ecstasy basically every weekend for a # of months, but once these electrical zinging sensations really started (sometimes it felt like i would black out and fall for a second), i basically cooled it and they eventually (4 mos-1 yr maybe?) totally subsided.

Have you heard of or experienced this happening before?? I dont doubt it will go away with time, but i just would like to know what exactly may cause it... other than the "the holes in your brain" type answer.. as true as that "may be". Thanks!!

i don't know too much about this phenomena apart from what i've seen posted on this site
i believe what your experiencing is a relatively common ailment among amphetamine users called 'brain zaps'.
whether or not the VIv has anything to do with it i can't say.
its nothing to worry about, and i'm sure someone will post shortly with a much more thorough explanation, but i just wanted to let you know that you don't need to worry.

Thanks. Yeah im just lookin for some relatable experiences, as i am definitely one to downplay the effects of my using, since its been about 10 years total (all substances) and im still not suffering any adverse effects from my life choices... not bad ones at least ??

Does these electrical effects increase or become overwhelming when you take methamphetamine? Like, were you in a situation where you felt the zinging and thought, you know, this may be withdrawal symptoms and you took some meth to combat it, and then it all became overwhelming and you went like oh shit, I shouldn't have taken meth, I'm really screwed right now! Was it like that? Or maybe does the zinging go away when you take meth? Also, are the effects on the scalp or are they also like pins and needles on the tip of your cheeks, or ears?

Ksa, thanks for the reply. So i have tried to identify this as well, whether it went away after i used again or not. It doesent seem to have any bearing on the frequency and these sensations have never been overwhelming, just like a little "zap"

Like think a light-headed sensation, but concentrated into the area just behind my browline and forehead.

I already have been experiencing a decrease in frequency in the last few days since posting this. I truly believe that when im not using any drugs at all, even for just a few short days, my body really heals up and recuperates quickly. I never experience any depression at all, coming down or not, and the only thing i am dealing with right now are the residual jitters and involuntary spasms in random parts of my body... but that is to be expected, as im only 4 days out from a nearly month-long run.

No nerve damage, just casual SSRI withdrawal symptoms, the involuntary twitching is due to lack of dopamine in the neurons, not a problem. These go away, you're good to go.

UPDATE: I have been clean for 5 days now and last night i had the worst zaps ive ever had, was having them like every 30 sec or so, while lying down trying to sleep. The majority of them i could just shake myself out of as soon as they rolled on, but one in particular was so gnarly that i lost control for a second or two, MAJORR wom-woms, blackness, and inability to move extremities. Literally like a minor seizure, scary as fuck. Went to sleep shortly thereafter. They ONLY happen to me while RESTING, and NEVER when im active at all.

Then i did some more research, found this ----> http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/1...s-treatments-for-electrical-shock-sensations/ <------ it states clearly that, just like you guys said, its nothing to worry about, even if the zaps are more intense, no brain damage done, just discomfort. Its just odd because among the supps i currently take daily is omega3 oil, which this author prescribes as something that alleviates them. Im just wondering what started this, because this says its caused mostly by SSRI antidepressants, which i haven't taken for yearss.

Maybe too much 5-htp or l-tyrosine?? or a combo of the two? plus the turmeric extract i take (all daily)

Last edited:
The "brain zaps" as they are commonly known are a common side-effect of a lot of different drugs. Not uncommon.

Yeah, i mean ive had them before, a few yrs ago when i was using ecstasy a lot, but i just find it strange that it only happens when im not moving, with the worst coming to a complete loss of control momentarily while goin to sleep the other night. It felt crazy