• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Post Ictal Depression

emkee_reinvented

Bluelighter
In a time frame of 3. 5 years (probably 1.5 years ago) I had about 5 seizure's. The first two just month's apart. The first one ended in SEH/ EHS, and after relaease a post ictal Psychosis forced them to keep me overnight.

After some reading their seem to be all kinds of pre, inter and post ictal phenomenom. Psychosis one, but also depression, agitation and agression, sleep disorders and some more.

I am myself thoroughly convinced the HippoCampus and Amagdala play a important role. As Chronic stress and sleepless night's are proven to negatively influence the HippoCampus, they cause shrinkage.

Current medical intervenance with Valproic Acid does nothing positive in regard to this. But my neurologist flaws my theory, and seems reluctant to help me improve my capabilities. Stimulating neurogenesis in the HippoCampus should theoraticallly be better imo. Mostly the Post ictal Depresssion really sucks.

Several substance's have beneficial effects, I read on pubmed.

-L-Acetyl-Carnitine
-Bhrami/ Bacopa Monnierii

Probably some more but, as I am searching anyone has any input on this or experience, its really bothersome.

The reason of the importance of the HippoCampus is that seizure's and it are connected. But also the relation of chronic stress, leading to an overoad of cortisol and nor-adrenaline. Which will lead to shrinkage.
The Hippocampus is also inportant for sleep architecture, afeect's short term mem, mood, cognition. But luckily a part of the brain that can restore itself by growing new dendrites.

My Neurologist refused to comment on the size of my Hippo and I have no acces to the MRI/ CT image's. They are not in my file?

A addition to the list:
-Passiflora Incarnata is at least beneficial. While L-Acetyl-Carnitine and Bhrami/ Bacopa Monnierii stimulates neurogenesis.

Celastrus paniculatus Willd. / Jyotishmati (also known as Kangani and Malkangni) and Convolvulus pluricaulis Choisy / Shankhpushpi (also known as Bindweed) sound interesting anti-epileptic and/ or anti convulsant properties are mentioned. This is from Chinese medicin BTW .
- Cornus officinalis Siebold & Zucc. / Japanese cornel has the probability to promote neurogenesis .... and the word Hippcampus mentioned together. On paper, perfect.
Well it goes on and on.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8363108/

Mulungu already proved to be one aswell as the two mentioned in my first post are. L-Acetyl-Carnitine, I assume must have had some thorough research done on it.

Then I have Lemon Balm, supposedly a super anti-convulsant and anti epileptic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8551917/

But what is enough, what is real and what's only on paper. Ayurveda and Chinese medicin are very old, as well as other herbal remedies. But even with scientific findings I need something that I'll at least can have reasonable convidence it actually does what it claim's.

But the aim is repair, neurogenesis, of whatever can be saved.