• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

🎄 Christmas 🎄 Post a picture of your tree!!

Being from where I'm from, it's not a real Xmas tree if the tree isn't an actual tree and the lights aren't real candles. You LIGHT a Xmas tree, not switch it on like a common household lamp ffs.

.. Anyways all the best to my fellow BLers for now and the New Year 🎄🎉

UMZ7VWk.jpeg

Are those real candles, or candle-bulbs?

Edit: sorry you did say - for some reason your follow up post didn't show up on my screen. Nice work! Ever had any fires using real candles?

Are those real candles, or candle-bulbs?

Edit: sorry you did say - for some reason your follow up post didn't show up on my screen. Nice work! Ever had any fires using real candles?
No, except for the one occasion when our cat got scared by the New Year's fireworks and jumped into the tree. One branch caught fire and was immediately put out by everyone emptying their champagne glasses onto it with great presence of mind Xd

PS everyone always asks me that. The thing is you need the right type of tree. It has to have sturdy branches that can take the weight, and they need to be well-spaced; so noble fir is ideal (plus it has a great scent and doesn't drop needles). Also while it's lit you want to be around it so you just don't leave it unattended. Many families have a combo of electric lights and candles, the electric to have on all the time for convenience and then switch to live flame for a couple hours for the extra atmosphere.

Last edited:
No, except for the one occasion when our cat got scared by the New Year's fireworks and jumped into the tree. One branch caught fire and was immediately put out by everyone emptying their champagne glasses onto it with great presence of mind Xd

PS everyone always asks me that. The thing is you need the right type of tree. It has to have sturdy branches that can take the weight, and they need to be well-spaced; so noble fir is ideal (plus it has a great scent and doesn't drop needles). Also while it's lit you want to be around it so you just don't leave it unattended. Many families have a combo of electric lights and candles, the electric to have on all the time for convenience and then switch to live flame for a couple hours for the extra atmosphere.

Yes I can imagine that. I love your tree shape. It's sparsely vegetated but strong looking. I might go for something like that next year, though sans the candles as much though I admire the Ye Olde look, the convenience and low risk nature of electric ones is too much of a winner for me.

Never posted mine (it’s down by now) but I really loved our tree this year! We use a shrub that is in a pot because it’s better for the environment 😎✌🏻

Reactions: CFC
Yes I can imagine that. I love your tree shape. It's sparsely vegetated but strong looking. I might go for something like that next year, though sans the candles as much though I admire the Ye Olde look, the convenience and low risk nature of electric ones is too much of a winner for me.
I wouldn't exactly say 'sparse' because the branches themselves are very full with thick needles. Also for me candles are a must, and they're difficult to place if a tree is very dense, for obvious reasons.

These trees have a tendency to grow their branches in tiers, and I always look for one with nicely symmetrical, evenly spaced ones. Yes I like the shape because they also usually grow in that classic 'pyramid' fashion.
Depending on how they're grown however you can also get noble firs that are bushier (where candle safety isn't an issue). I'd recommend one of those for you. The scent is unbeatable, they're very sturdy and you can hang any kind of ornament without it drooping, plus the needles have a unique characteristic bluish tinge to them.

Reactions: CFC