• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Possibly disturbing family history

Seriously?

The BBc recently ran a Nazi season, and I caught this documentary about what it's like to be a relative of one of Hitlers top 5 men, Hoess, Himmler etc. It was really moving and the pain, guilt and shame still run very deep, obviously. Hoess's grandson particularly was struggling to deal with his grandfathers actions, quite painful to watch.

This is only a teaser but worth watching to get a tiny insight into some of the complex issues.

I'm sure if you dug around you would be able to find the whole programme. It was compulsive & really thought provoking viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsZLSCVm60Y

Heres the full documentary I was talking about. Its fascinating but sad viewing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1p6X3v8LFw

I doubt two people in this thread have any significant knowledge on the truth of the holocaust. Everybody watched Schindler's list and called it a history lesson. Disgusting.

Op, you should be immensely proud of you grandfather and his father before him. The fact he has given you a tangible piece of his and your family history, is a beautiful thing. If the man has trouble talking about his past, it may be because younger ignorant generations have lost sight of the fact that winners write history. People have a very skewed negative view of something that he takes great pride in.

Yes its a shame we have such a negative view of the persecution and attempted elimination of an entire race. I may not be an eye witness but I've heard enough accounts of those were.

Why should the OP be immensely proud? Watch that documentary and see if those poor relations feel they should feel immensely proud.

Last edited:
Elimination? What elimination? The majority of of people died from disease. Official nazi records of murder only go upto 76,000 and all by hanging or shooting.for Auschwitz anyway, why record one murder and not another? There was no official government mandate to eliminate the jews. I'm not condoning genocide, but altering history for financial gain is disgusting. The holocaust is the biggest lie in history.

I don't approve of my great great grandfather's side in the civil war, but I do love that he did what he thought was right, and fought heartily for it. ( volunteer ) Are you object to pride because of anti-war sentiment? You know, there was a time when ww2 was about ww2. For some reason, people have warped the war into being about holocaust. Op's relatives took part in ww2, not the holocaust. I'm proud of my family for their effort in it, why can't he be?

Last edited:
What's in the past is in the past, what can you do? It aint anything to do with you as long as you don't believe in all that shit.

Badandwicked and Animal Mother, please stick the OP's question at hand and stop turning this into a war between yourselves. That's what PM's are for.

We were debating the role of the SA. I can understand editing out when I called him a Nazi sympathiser and holocaust denier, but my reply had other valid content. I don't spend time thought and energy contributing to SO just to have posts deleted, so I'll be avoiding this forum in future.

We were debating the role of the SA. I can understand editing out when I called him a Nazi sympathiser and holocaust denier, but my reply had other valid content. I don't spend time thought and energy contributing to SO just to have posts deleted, so I'll be avoiding this forum in future.

I unapproved Animal Mother's entire reply to said comment, so I thought it was only fair that I unapproved your entire comment as well. As I said, if you two aren't capable of having rational discussion without it turning into a personal back and forth, there is the PM option. I'm sorry to hear that you will be avoiding this forum, but that's a pretty immature reason.

Again, if you would like to discuss this further with me, please send me a PM.

I'm sure everyone's family has bad blood on their hands. The only difference is you KNOW about it AND have memorabilia. What's done is done. What's in the past is in the past. Should you keep the medals, absolutely! They are part of your family whether you like it or not. You can pass it down along with the lessons that were learned.

I'll just reword my original reply and see if it's more political correct for all of your sensitive little eyes to read.

Op, Nobody knows history like the people who lived it. Ask your grandfather everything that he knows, and learn it from somebody that was there. Not TV. Not People in this forum. His feelings maybe contrary to popular belief.

The Holocaust and WW2 are separate entities. Just because your great grandfather died fighting communist, doesn't make him the guard at Auschwitz who shot people with a firing squad. Just like because my grandfather bombed Germany in a B17, doesn't make him the the one who intentionally bombed civilian Dutch and German targets.

Take pride in your family history. Take even more pride in that your family fought voluntarily.

Take pride in your family history, and the fact that you've been given