• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin possible to shoot into artery without pain?

agarttha

Greenlighter
Hi,

I'm a little freaked out right now. I just shot pretty deep into the crook of my right hand. Note: the vein I chose was a little hard and ropey, and I had to insert the 1/2" needle fully into my arm (though at a steep angle of course) to register. I registered and shot painlessly. Nonetheless, I must have missed (or something), as there is a quite large area of welt-like raised skin (about 3 finger widths thick, palm-width long going down my arm) well *below* where i shot, immediately below my elbow, on the left side of my inner forearm, as well as a bumpy area trailing off to the left of that. There is also raised skin immediately below the iv site. neither of these areas seem to hurt at all, and look like the bumps that come from missed shots, although quite a bit larger than i have seen before. I am likely overreacting over a simple missed shot (although missed shots usually burn, this was totally painless), but i would still like to be sure, as I have never seen something quite like this before (i am somewhat new to IVing). My hand seems fine, not swollen or anything.

thanks for the help

thought i'd update: guess it was just a missed shot, and i must have missed the entire shot, leading it to be to bigger than i'd ever seen before. it has now completely absorbed. i was concerned because the bump that showed up was below the iv site, i.e. further from my heart, but i guess gravity must have just pulled it down a bit. it was odd that it didn't burn at all, like most missed shots do, but i was already pretty high so maybe that explains it. i'll be more careful next time!

It's definitely possible to hit an artery without pain, it just almost never happens. Even if there's not exruciating pain, which there usually is, there's ultimately going to be some kind of "tell" that indicates you have just done something wrong. Arterial blood is under such high pressure, unlike veins, that when you open one up, the equalization of that pressure is bound to cause some kind of issue.

As a rule of thumb, if you hit an artery you should go get it checked out. It could become a very serious complication.

Arteries and veins have very different characteristics, I'd suggest you read up on their differences, so that you can distinguish between the two..

Hi,

I'm a little freaked out right now. I just shot pretty deep into the crook of my right hand. Note: the vein I chose was a little hard and ropey, and I had to insert the 1/2" needle fully into my arm (though at a steep angle of course) to register. I registered and shot painlessly. Nonetheless, I must have missed (or something), as there is a quite large area of welt-like raised skin (about 3 finger widths thick, palm-width long going down my arm) well *below* where i shot, immediately below my elbow, on the left side of my inner forearm, as well as a bumpy area trailing off to the left of that. There is also raised skin immediately below the iv site. neither of these areas seem to hurt at all, and look like the bumps that come from missed shots, although quite a bit larger than i have seen before. I am likely overreacting over a simple missed shot (although missed shots usually burn, this was totally painless), but i would still like to be sure, as I have never seen something quite like this before (i am somewhat new to IVing). My hand seems fine, not swollen or anything.

thanks for the help

Now when you say a steep angle, are you talking like a steep vertical, like needle point straight up and down, 90 degree angle into your vein, if so that is NOT how to IV! If you mean a steep, horizontal angle, like almost parallel with your arm and just slightly perpendicular to the vein, like 25-40 degree angle.. that is how it should be done.. just seeing, because if you are normally injecting at a literally 90 degree angle, or steep as in the needle pointing straight down into your arm, that is a very bad habit to pick up... don't do that! And I have never(at least knowingly) hit an artery, just had a couple missed shots before, and from what I have seen from my friends hitting arteries or heard from other people, it seems to usually, more than likely be extremely painful... but like keif Richards said, possible to not even know you did hit an artery, other than a small sign of swelling or redness, and no pain.. just not how it usually happens, 95% of the time its going to hurt.. bad.. worse than just a missed shot for sure without the hitting of an artery or nerve.

Hello Agarttha. I've hit many arterys and always get pain. 2ml can drop you to your knees. I hit one in my groin and have never felt pain like it, I must have pushed 4/5 mil in max. I screamed like a little girl, fell to the floor, my penis and testicals felt like they were on fire and covered in citric rash, worst thing of all though was my genitals got swollen to like a short cucumber fat and my 2 balls were like footballs. LOL.
The worst i've seen was a friend push a full 80mil into a artery but because he left the belt on when he pushed it in he felt no pain that was until he took off the belt. I've never sen anything like that ever. He was a mess, he couldn't talk, his body went limp and he was shaking like he'd had a bad hit. I was 1 min from ringing 999 then he came round.
The moral of that story is never inject with the belt still tight around wherever you're injecting.
Also if it's pink stop and think, if it's red go ahead.

Don't inject into arteries. Please.
Real simple. And it hurts, and if that happens to be bad, medical attention as mentioned.

Shooting into an artery can kill you. Seeing how arteries push outwards it will push injected substance into capillaries.

Long story short it can lead to something as bad as amputation. It is a very bad idea to inject into an artery.

The easiest way to tell is it fucking hurts if you hit one, blood usually rushes into the barrel of the needle, and the blood is much brighter. Please IV responsibly if you are going to do it. If you use the site search engine there is a bit on technique and hygeine, well a fuckload of info.

I suggest you use it so you don't wind up making a mistake you regret. Spending a bit of time reading about how to do it proper can save your life and reduce the hard you do to your body dramatically but it still is not healthy or really ever safe, but the odds can change to a bit more in your favor, a great deal more.

Even if you don't care about yourself and your health at this point in your life, not saying that is the case, but if it is along those lines just remember an abccess and infection is extremely painful and doctors are not going to take much sympathy past saving your life, so don't expect a trip to an er for an iv abcess to leave you loaded on pain meds, they kinda have to give you something as it is agonizing but they can give you next to nothing all the same.

So take an hour or two and read up. Take an extra 30 seconds when you do it to do is sterile and with proper technique and you might live past your addiction. It is basically impossible to iv and not get addicted.

I am sure there is someone who has managed to inject in horrible ways and not face that bad of consequences but that is less than 1% with shitty technique, one in a million, shooting into an artery is so dangerous I want to reach through the internet and shake some sense in you.

I can't stop you from doing it and I get wanting to use drugs, believe me I do all to well. I just don't see the need for you to ruin your life when it is kinda avoidable here. Shooting into an artery is more dangerous than russian roulette.

Now when you say a steep angle, are you talking like a steep vertical, like needle point straight up and down, 90 degree angle into your vein, if so that is NOT how to IV! If you mean a steep, horizontal angle, like almost parallel with your arm and just slightly perpendicular to the vein, like 25-40 degree angle.. that is how it should be done.. just seeing, because if you are normally injecting at a literally 90 degree angle, or steep as in the needle pointing straight down into your arm, that is a very bad habit to pick up... don't do that! And I have never(at least knowingly) hit an artery, just had a couple missed shots before, and from what I have seen from my friends hitting arteries or heard from other people, it seems to usually, more than likely be extremely painful... but like keif Richards said, possible to not even know you did hit an artery, other than a small sign of swelling or redness, and no pain.. just not how it usually happens, 95% of the time its going to hurt.. bad.. worse than just a missed shot for sure without the hitting of an artery or nerve.

yes, i mean nearly parallel to my arm. no one ever taught me how to I.V. but i've read pretty extensively into the subject, so i know not to just be jabbing the needle at a 90 degree angle to the skin. thank you for the concern, however!

as for everyone else, in case there was any confusion, i was certainly NOT deliberately trying to hit an artery; in fact, I created this thread because I was worried that I had hit one by accident. it's been a day, and aside from a little soreness in the area, as I would expect from such a large missed shot, the arm seems basically fine--I think that's good evidence that I didn't hit an artery. which is a relief.

anyway, i've got another problem I'm a little bit concerned about, and thought I may as well mention it in this thread in case anyone is still reading it. I'm afraid i might have an abscess in the other arm. close to a week ago i was trying, and failing, to hit a vein in my left forearm. i might have been using a somewhat dull needle--2nd or 3rd time I had used it, and probably 5th or 6th time it had pierced the skin. anyway, there is a hard little lump in that area. it is basically circular, a little less than finger width in diameter and very slightly raised above the surrounding skin. just barely visible, but very obviously there if you feel for it--its just a hard little lump. no pain, and not obviously warmer than the surrounding skin. it might be getting smaller on its own, but if it is it's doing so very slowly. certainly not getting larger. any idea what this thing might be, and whether I should be worried about it?

thanks.

OHHH ok good, I was scared for you, even though we don't really know each other IRL, I was hoping you weren't one of those people who jabs the needle straight down into your vein, at a 90 degree angle, glad to know you aren't! And as to your little bumps, around the injection site, It doesn't sound like an abscess to me, especially if its just a small diameter bump that's even becoming smaller as time is going on, and not expanding in size or super red and burning/stinging to the touch.. so it is probably just because you missed, which I am assuming is what happened, or else that bump wouldn't be there.. at least IME any time I miss a vein, it is usually either at the very end of the shot, due to using sharp brand new rigs, which with just the slightest movement while in vein, can puncture through the other side of the vein, and cause a miss, regardless of the angle.. it sucks ass, and hurts when it happens, certainly not good for you.. but it could be WAY worse, if you were to hit a nerve, or an artery.. or miss so badly it actually did cause an abscess so be very careful! Do you have friends who can help you with injecting at all, who are more experienced? I don't mean any offense by that, it just sounds like you are still relatively new to IV drug using.. and if you are it is best to have someone experienced around to guide you through things, that is how I learned to IV at least, but after I learned I was all on my own... just occasionally used IV heroin and other opioids, and coke too with friends, but mostly kept to myself when doing those drugs.. they aren't exactly "social" type drugs for everyone.. then just basically taught myself the ropes from then on, whatever my friend hadn't showed me.. Be safe! and if those little bumps get any worse, seek medical attention, but if they are small, and don't hurt to the touch, they should go away on their own, at least that's how it went for me... I know exactly what u are explaining, happens everytime I have any kind of a miss..