• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Possible to overdose from smoking meth?

Tweakerdumb

Greenlighter
I know, it sounds dumb. I used to smoke 2-3 grams of meth a day, until I got clean about a year and a half ago. I met up with my old friend last night, and we rolled a good amount of dope. (I relapsed) As soon as I took the first hit though, I immediately threw up everywhere. But of course, that didn't stop me from hitting it 12 more times.

I know I didn't overdose, but I'm wondering is there a possibility of overdosing by smoking it? I've never heard of it before.

My tolerance is also at ground zero now, so I guess I shouldn't have smoked so much. I have blisters on my back of my throat, and of course I'm not producing any saliva, so every time I swallow I want to cry ?

Maybe I'm just a big baby on my comedown, who knows. But I am curious..

Yes it's possible, puking is a sign actually, people will tell you it's not possible, but it happens. That was my sign to quit for a bit, I'd gag while hitting it, then quit. I was also a 2+ gram a day user for a couple years.

Damn, how stupid am I. I just thought I was getting sick because I haven't done it in so long. I'm kicking myself in the ass for it now.

Do meth, pay the price. Ugh

Yeah man if youre gagging stop, it's a sign your overdoing it, it's not unheard of for people to stroke out or have a heart attack at high doses.

And I'm talking healthy people.

Last edited:
yeah, it's definitely possible, but if you overdose on something like meth you know about it. I can't imagine how painful it must be. I've never overdosed on amphetamines but it's my biggest fear

That's the problem, No you won't know it. It could start as subtle as nausea and turn into a stroke, or it could full blown cardiac arrest.

Seems unlikely to me that meth could itself cause a stroke without some preexisting danger. No matter how much you take.

Of course this isn't to say that taking too much meth can't be very dangerous, it can. Personally I hate high doses of stimulants myself.

Meth has a tendency to make me puke with even the slightest among.

In order to answer if you can overdose smoking meth we need to define what an overdose is. Assuming you're talking about taking an amount that could plausibly result in death from smoking alone. I'd say it likely is possible

I'm not confident enough in my experience with meth to say much more than that though.

While I like a very mild stimulant from time to time, I truly hate using storms like methamphetamine at what would normally be considered recreational doses. Just not my thing thankfully.

The pre-existing danger could just be overdoing it, over and over again, to the point where you feel "fine" on high doses but in reality the rush becomes just a coming back from the dead type of effect. Then hit it one more time on a bad day or after enough wear and tear and BOOM, you've gone full retard (hopefully temporarily). There are strokes that people dont become aware of til much much later if at all. Not every incident like that is life ending.

It is possible to overdose on any stimulant, even caffeine (in theory, though no one would likely take enough to OD). While methamphetamine doses are less common than opiate overdoses, they do occur and can be life-threatening. From what I have heard, stimulant overdoses (including overdoses on weaker stimulants) generally involves a heart attack or stimulant psychosis. The latter is not lethal in and of itself, though one could potentially become a danger to themselves while in a psychotic state. Even if the meth you're getting is highly impure, 2-3 grams is still likely an extremely high dose. Even if the meth was as little as 10% pure, 2-3 grams would be 200-300 grams of methamphetamine which is a very high dose of stimulants. I'm sure that if you're taking such high doses, you have a high tolerance to stimulants but even still........ 2-3 grams of meth has to be putting a certain amount of strain on your heart. And with the variability between batches, you're definitely right in your suspicions that you could OD. I'm not sure about a stroke, but I know that stimulants such as meth and even "weaker" amphetamines like adderall can cause a heart attack if you exceed a certain threshold. And that can be just as dangerous of an overdose. As with anything, if you are going to be doing it, use common sense and caution as not to overdose.

The best way to dose would be to take a very small portion of what you would generally take and a bit more and redose several times to get to the level you want to be at rather than just taking it all at once....... see how it affects me and then take some more if I feel okay and wanted more. I have done this with most drugs that I have done, and it definitely helps to reduce the chance of taking too much of whatever you are taking, in fact it's a very good way of avoiding taking too much of pretty much anything you're doing IME. And you aren't just a "big baby", you did large doses of methamphetamine and given your description it sounds as though the comedown is pretty rough, as I would expect it to be. And if your mouth is dry, make sure you drink plenty of water now. Sometimes drugs like stimulants (or just about anything other than weed) could cause you to forget to remain hydrated. So, perhaps the dry mouth could be partly dehydration which you should do your best to replenish.

Caffeine could kill you sooner than meth. Caffeine absolutely has killed people from deliberate and accidental overdose. No heart conditions necessary. Just pre-meds* and NoDoz.

The tricky part with smoking and overdose, is the enormous difference in possible doses. I would think a person would die from lack of oxygen before absorbing a lethal meth dose, if they used only a standard bowl and Scripto lighter (those translucent lighters would just have their spring/flint pop out first). Meanwhile some tweaker somewhere is combining vacuum pressures with a jet engine to scorch a half ton of meth per second. Even if you standardized bowls and btus there are a lot of variables, which will add up when you consider that kind of tweaker does have 24 hours per day.

Just to side with caution though, it may be scientifically proven one day that you simply cannot OD with normal vaped meth, only to be the only person in history to randomly get bona fide isopropylbenzylamine in his bowl, and discover too late it's incredibly explosive.**

(*Med students should have known to opt for meth instead.)

(** Long-time dope smokers know it wasn't really the ISO that blew up)

Its possible and after doing as much daily I noticed after taking month long breaks going back to it made me feel sick at first. Can't use the same dose as before, just little by little.

That's the problem, No you won't know it. It could start as subtle as nausea and turn into a stroke, or it could full blown cardiac arrest.

In my experience when you take too much amphetamines it's obvious. I've never had an overdose that required medical attention, but from the times I've taken too much and just sat there hoping for it to pass, I can say it's scary enough in the mild stages. To be honest, I have a poor heart from past anorexia, so maybe it's a lot more obvious for me to tell when my heart's caning

There were a few times in my really fucked up years that I would have been shooting up and smoking it continuously and just had too much. Its a ghastly feeling and very sudden with a huge spike in temperature, urge to spew and racing heartbeat.

Yeah you can just drop dead.

So if you find yourself in that position, get yourself immediately into a sitting position agsinst the wall in the bottom of a tepid/cold shower to drop your temperature. Keep emergency valiums to calm rapid heartbeat. If you dont have any snd the shower isnt enough then youre gonba have to get mefical help.

A lot of people dont as they just will not expose their habit or risk getting in trouble so its better to have a mate around or at least contactable on phone to make that call.

I was shooting up to a quarter of an ounce a week and got very sick. Then quit for 8 years. What a waste of drugs. That was way too much. Id love to have it all back now though.

Don't forget how stims, and especially meth, like to send users spiraling down into panic attacks. i'm definitely not saying you can't overdose, but I would bet that more than 9/10 ER visits for self-reported overdose emergencies turn out to be just panic attacks. Then add on obsessive tendencies, and your vitals, and you get dozens of BL threads.

I have the damn pdf somewhere, but it turns out cardiovascular events, including strokes, are extremely rare with methamphetamine. Overdose deaths are almost always total n00b users or drug mules whose baggies exploded. Cocaine is the one that will make you stroke out or arrest your heart, pretty nasty actually. Complications for meth (besides the use of IV) are almost always psychiatric.

That was meant to reassure the ones having panic attacks. Overdose is still possible of course.

Zephyr said:
in the bottom of a tepid/cold shower to drop your temperature.

And a huge chunk of organ and brain damage complications from meth and MDxx drugs come from simple overheating. You're just lightly roasting your brain and liver throughout your binge, and might be too dehydrated to sweat.

Also, anything to encourage tweakers to shower more.

Let's not downplay how dangerous/reckless meth use can be.. It's not like every meth user is getting 99.9% pure d-meth and only using it sparingly while sitting on their PC posting on bluelight. In a way this website exists in a bubble. The way it's mainly used is highly dangerous unless frequent breaks are taken and the quality of it is verified. And even then...

How dangerous any given thing is or isn't tends to be extremely hard to define. We all have different ideas of risk vs rewards, what risks we take and care about.

How much be danger has to exist before we call it dangerous. It's all so subjective.

My point is, I don't think the dangers should be downplayed either, but since the concept itself is so abstract, I generally would prefer not to engage in discussion over how dangerous something is or isn't and confine discussion to simply explaining the risks. Letting others decide how dangerous they consider it to be.

The important thing is that people be informed and understand the risks. I understand that sometimes things said on bluelight can tread on dubious turf sometimes. Saying that being no comment on how much that applies here. But what I'm saying is I think more important than emphasising danger is emphasizing risk.

I don't think there's much point to emphasising danger because the concept is too abstract and subjective. And that it's better to just emphasize the realities on a realistic and honest way.

Let's not downplay how dangerous/reckless meth use can be.. It's not like every meth user is getting 99.9% pure d-meth and only using it sparingly while sitting on their PC posting on bluelight. In a way this website exists in a bubble. The way it's mainly used is highly dangerous unless frequent breaks are taken and the quality of it is verified. And even then...

I resent that (not really). I actually get a little weed with my purchases, from the dealer's fingerprints. Dog hair too. And I've never spared a shard.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I didn't want to bother with even more qualifiers, that the question is specifically about acute overdose. Nothing about long-term health problems from chronic mis-use. And since anything could always be cut with anything, the answer is limited in scope to a hypothetical pure dope.

And even then, the generic ROA "vaporized" is so variable in dosage that there's no good answer. "Yes, of course" is the safest answer, but for what it would take to get there, the answer is "probably a lot, but doable. Please don't test it yourself."

Of course, using small doses over a long weekend while forgetting to eat or drink might be enough to kill someone.

All that has to happen is one or two things to go bad in your life... you're already smoking meth recreationally. Why not pop a bar (or 3? since the meth will cancel it out to an extent). Why not smoke some heroin? See this is the exact trap I fell into and I've observed this downward spiral in countless many others. I too "maintained" for a long period of time. That doesn't mean I was at even 25% of my potential though, just pulling off the "normie" act long enough to get by and then going and smoking with my tweaker friends.. (of which I was the worst as I was the first to IV after being shown by someone that used heroin, who we would oftentimes pick up through).

Of course this isn't what this thread is about. Yes, meth can bring about health issues you never even knew you had. Weak liver/one that can't properly process stuff like alcohol and you take meth on top of that? Along with a propensity for anxiety (doesnt have to be an anxiety disorder)? Off to freak-out land you go. See, I know this, because I did it to myself countless times and I *liked* it. That's how addicting teh high is. I'm not even preaching, just stating facts.

Honestly dude it sounds like some bad meth. I'm not gonna tell you that you can od as in actually fall over dead from meth just cuz I've been an I've user of this drug for the past 3 years and have myself and watched other ppl iv incredibly large doses of crystal meth and the only "overdoses" I've seen is when you over-amp which is where ppl will do too much or do too big of a shot and pass out. This I believe is the body's defense mechanism when your heart rate is too quick. So if your talking about the medical definition of the a methamphetamine overdose which includes psychosis or nervousness then I've overdosed countless times but as far as actual deaths I haven't seen one. If you are worried about it when u use have some benzos on you and if you feel anxious take one they'll calm you down and if you take a couple it'll actually bring you down all the way :)