• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Possible to go psychotic from 20 mg ritalin if you were a "risk" individual?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I experienced acute paranoia and psychosis on 150 mg methamphetamine.

I was fine up until the last 20 mg, that pushed me over the line.

But it took weeks to fully recover and I was terrified I would become indefinitely paranoid (schizophrenic).

Thing is, I used to used stimulants all the time and was fine, but that was during times of relative emotional stability.

Around mid 2021 I become less emotionally stable, and then stims and doses and even other drugs (pharmaceuticals) I'd used without issue, started to give me issues.

However, due to issues with lethargy I'd like to use some low dose stims......... but I'm terrified based on past experience I might be a "risk" user, which means I could become chronically psychotic.

Taking all the above into account, re title question, is that possible, or likely?

Or any experiences/thoughts on the topic?

You have of course, heard the term "psyching yourself out." I am assuming at least.

Well, here is your very apparent and real risk of doing just that, which can nevertheless trigger SOMEthing negative to happen.

The mind is a very powerful thing. You can very easily talk yourself into having a heart attack even while sober, even if relatively healthy, honestly. (It would take effort, yes LOL). Only you can know and be confident enough to try and find out. With that being said, 20mg of ritalin is a low amount. And truth be told you can always start lower than that. I have gone into extremely deep psychoses before from GHB withdrawal as well as meth-induced (woke up in chicago behavioral health one time, 3 hours away from where I was). I can promise you im of sane mind now, and have no paranoia or hallucinations even when I use (and yes, i still use most days).

But this is ME. I am not you. Be safe, start low and slow.

I don't think that methylphenidate actually has a psychosis-inducing profile.

I looked it up, it's specifically doesn't have a psychosis-inducing profile except in extremely high doses or unintentional overdose, there was a 65-year-old woman with ADHD that was eating Ritalin because she thought they were sleeping pills.

Now I don't know what dose you are planning to take but I think 20 mg is not going to push you over the edge.

iv become psychotic after 50mg ritalin

there were other factors at play

but personally im steering clear of stims like that in my situation

coffee is a decent stimulant

Ritalin is an unpredictable drug.

I have experienced similar symptoms from 10mg only. Stopped it, talked to the doctor who switched me to Dexedrine Spansule, and the symptoms went away. The problem is that I have taken a 100mg of Ritalin recreationally "legit" and didn't experience those symptoms. I almost died on 10mg of Ritalin! I mean come on I'm a meth abuser for God's sake!

Ritalin is an unpredictable drug.

I have experienced similar symptoms from 10mg only. Stopped it, talked to the doctor who switched me to Dexedrine Spansule, and the symptoms went away. The problem is that I have taken a 100mg of Ritalin recreationally "legit" and didn't experience those symptoms. I almost died on 10mg of Ritalin! I mean come on I'm a meth abuser for God's sake!
that's a mighty fair point.