• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Possible synthesis of MMDA by using Myristin/Isomyristicin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning-Nl

Bluelighter
This thread is purely for educational purposes.

...no seriously. I don't even have the equipment to even attempt to try this. But I'm curious if this reaction would be possible. I was exploring the idea of how to synthesis a psychoactive amphetamine through common found essential oils. In particular, nutmeg contains a known psychoactive chemical called 'Myristicin' as well as one of the precursors to MDMA - Safrole. But the Safrole isn't what I'm interested in. Parsley and Dill, also contain an isomer of myristicin (although, Shulgins information doesn't state what this chemical is).

Anyways, I'm assuming someone could easily perform an extraction of the essential oils of nutmeg by dissolving some nutmeg in acetone or ethanol. Heat it up to 180°F, wait for the ethanol or acetone to boil off, and there you have the essential oils. (I've heard you can buy nutmeg essential oils as well, so that might make things a lot easier.)

Anyways, the next step would be to filter out the rest of the chemicals EXCEPT the Myristin. From what I've read, I believe this can be achieved with a vacuum distillation (correct me if I'm wrong). Once you have the pure chemical, I believe you can react Myristicin with Ammonia to produce MMDA. I believe the ammonia would also 'salt' the MMDA and therefore the final product would be crystallized MMDA.

Anyways - that's all speculation from an amateur chemist. That's why I wanted input.

--------------------------

Next question.

Would it be possible to get rid of the R3 sidechain (off the Benzene) to produce MDA? If so, how would that be done? If it could be done?

Thanks for all the answers guys! Threads like these help me understand chemistry better :)

Yes it could well be possible but your route is unfortunately incorrect and even hypothetical synthesis discussion is not permitted on bluelight, sorry!

It would not be possible to convert MMDA to MDA easily or economically.

Status
Not open for further replies.