Mental Health Possible Psychosis? Need advice! Very scared!

k.william

Greenlighter
Hi there,

First timer here. I just need a little advice. I took some Crystal Meph via IV on Sunday...i had two shots but not sure how much was in them, i didn't administer them. Stupid i know but i guess i trusted the person. About 12 hours after the first shot...i panicked....i thought the guy i was with was against me...i thought other people were in the house...i panicked and ran out...on the way back to my friends house i went on the train and EVERYONE was looking, laughing, it was so real!! I bought pack of cigarettes on the way back to my friends and they had this strong taste and smell, almost like they had been messed with. I smoked a couple and felt even more anxious and high ( this could be in my head??). I thought the whole city was basically in on it, watching me fail so to speak. When I got back to my friends house, i heard from the open windows in the other houses on his street, people shouting...KILL YOURSELF, JUST DO IT!, DO IT!! I told myself it wasn't real and tried to calm down. I did not sleep that night...later i missed my train home due to getting lost in the streets and the train system!! this is crazy..i was so confused. I went to get a cab but there were NO Cabs around at all...right when i needed one to get my train...then i tried to call an UBER and my phone said it had ran out of data....just at that point!! I was convinced people had hacked my phone...i returned to my friends place, tried to finally sleep...then i started hearing the voices again in the open windows...mainly my best friends, family....saying how ugly i was, disappointment...i even SAW their faces through some of the windows....but they always were hiding through net curtains..but i could see outlines...then when one conversation was finished the light in that window would go out...and then another conversation with another family member would happen in another window. This went on for hours with basically everyone saying what a bad person i am...i didn't sleep much that night. I finally retuned home the next day and thought everything had calmed down..but i returned to work and thought my whole job was a set up...i looked in the mirror and i looked really high still...ugly...not good. I had to leave work yesterday...bought some food...even the food tasted strange...it wasn't right....i still think right now my whole life is a set up.....and its been going on for years...maybe the mafia? This cant be real?? i have even been looking at ways to kill myself online....this seems like a serious possible solution. IF people have been watching me all these years then i dont want to continue..they have seen all the stupid things I've done....i am ashamed.

Can someone shed some light? Sorry for the long read....

Thank you

You need to seek medical attention asap. As this is not real, stop and think about it for a few minutes. It's not possible it was a horrible reaction to the Meth. You are in a psychotic state. No one is out to get u I seen this happen to people many times, please try and calm down and get to an ER.

You will be fine and don't kill yourself remember it's a reaction to the Meth and can last for a few days get some help. You are ok.

I disagree; this is almost certainly a bad reaction to the drug (whether it was meth or mephedrone, which isn't clear from his post). It sounds like a textbook case of stimulant psychosis - get yourself to the ER right now and tell them you've overdosed (just say "amphetamines" if you can't remember what exactly you've taken) but that you can't remember how much you took.

Last edited:
I'd certainly agree that it sounds like stimulant psychosis, although of course drug use can trigger various conditions too even if is much more likely to be the former.

Although it is the case stimulant psychosis will typically go away once the drugs are out your system, generally within a few days, it can last much longer. So if you haven't sought any help yet, please do. That'll be the best way of resolving your problems. I know first hand how distressing it can be going through psychosis, but be assured it will pass... so don't do anything rash.

Hang in there. <3

If you feel that you are going to hurt yourself or others, definitely call for medical help. If you feel you can keep it together until you have come down and gotten some sleep then do that. Large amounts of stimulants cause an excess of dopaminergic activity at the D2 receptor site. This causes psychosis but it is only temporary. Just realize that is what is happening and that it will end you just have to keep busy and be patient. But for serious if you feel you can't calm down at all or control these urges than call an ambulance, just make sure there are no drugs in your house. A visit to the psych ward is much better than possibly killing yourself or hurting someone else, going outside and causing a scene and getting arrested and charged.

You can rationalize it and calm down though. Read up on positive things to sway the inherently negative mental disposition that is affecting you amd making the thoughts worse. I hope everything ends up ok for you.

This sounds like the type of psychosis I had from smoking weed a while ago. It lasted an entire night until the next day and I considered going to the ER. Even though you try to convince yourself the thoughts aren't real, it still FEELS very real and scary.

If you made it through this horrible condition, you shouldn't touch meth again. It's not worth it obviously.

Yeah, sounds like drug-induced psychosis. It can last from a few hours to a few months, so it's up to you what you want to do... if you don't want to go to the ER, do you have insurance? Try to find a therapist with a substance abuse focus. You can talk to them and see if you do need to be hospitalized or if it's something you and the therapist can work on together. Everyone just wants you to be safe.

Hi there,

just a little update. So a week and a half ago...i went to see my family...thinking they were also a part of this...not on my side....plotting against me etc. The day i spent with them seemed to pull me out of my physchosis. The more time i spent with them the more i realised they would not want to do anything to hurt me. So i went to work the following day and carried on....almost convinced it was over. Nobody seemed to be looking at me anymore...no more bad thoughts. Then today..i was at work...something happened where i had a slight falling out with a college...that trigged the whole thing again. I thought the argument was planned..and basically thought nobody at my work place was on my side....and that trigged me thinking people on the street were looking at me again on my lunch break. I kept trying to pull myself out of it...i just arrived back home and cooked dinner. I spoke to my housemate and i think that has pulled me out of it again. But I am still skeptical....When will this end? I have never had anything like this before...I know for a whole week i felt fine..so its possible i can keep telling myself its not real???? but i am physically SEEING people looking at me...its not in my head so how the hell is this possible?

Thanks for the kind words people...you are really helping me through this time...and i will not touch crystal meth again! It does not work well with me.....

^ You really should seek professional help. If you have insurance, it will cover. Google, APA, Find a psychologist and search for someone in your area. Call and ask if they accept your insurance. It would be good to just talk to someone...

I agree that you should get some form of professional help if it hasn't cleared up by now.

I can see you are wondering when it will end. The fact of the matter is no-one can know for sure. The first time I had drug-induced psychosis, I had ongoing symptoms for 2 years before they cleared up. I'm now almost 2 years down the road after a second episode. I'm not in any way suggesting it will be the same for you, in fact it would be very unlikely but I avoided getting help for 6 months the first time thinking "this will just go away" but it didn't.

You don't necessarily have to go on meds if you don't want, you should be given a choice, but it would at least allow you to talk to someone as Pretty_Diamonds says.

It can be possible to cope with psychosis off meds if you have reasonable insight. I think the most important aspect to that is reality checking. Constantly question any of these paranoid thoughts you are having. Like, what evidence do you have that what you think is actually happening, or are there any other more rational explanations.

To take the example of people looking at you... people will glance at one another in the street, there is nothing strange about that. If you are staring at people, they may well stare back at you too. Also if you are acting in any way people might deem strange, then you might well draw attention to yourself.

Regardless of whether you choose to go on meds, I still believe getting help is the best course of action. It will make things a lot easier for you & you can be evaluated by a professional.

Last edited:
Hi again,

just to let you know this has seemed to come back again in small doses. I constantly think that people at work are all against me, and everyone in the street knows who i am and what i do, and all the bad things i have done. I can sometimes snap myself out of it, but occasionally it comes back, even without taking drugs. One night I think i had a panic attack, as i thought i could taste and smell something in my room and i thought it was coming from the radiator, like a drug that was coating my lips....i can still taste that taste. I read that panic attacks make you get a strange taste, but i thought someone was trying to drug me in then house/just to mess with me. All these thoughts i understand sound crazy and i am aware they can't be true but why do they keep coming back...they sometimes feel so real. Why would everyone think i am a bad person and why would everyone play with my life like this IF it were to be true?

I disagree; this is almost certainly a bad reaction to the drug (whether it was meth or mephedrone, which isn't clear from his post). It sounds like a textbook case of stimulant psychosis - get yourself to the ER right now and tell them you've overdosed (just say "amphetamines" if you can't remember what exactly you've taken) but that you can't remember how much you took.

What don't you agree with I said the reaction was because of the Meth. I was telling him what he is experiencing is not reality as it is a Stim Psychosis.

What don't you agree with I said the reaction was because of the Meth. I was telling him what he is experiencing is not reality as it is a Stim Psychosis.
I disagreed with the statement that "it's not possible it was a horrible reaction to the Meth". IMO it very likely is a bad reaction to the drug, rather than any underlying illness.