• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Possible OD causing psychosis or manic state. Need further clarification

goingavolmre

Greenlighter
Someone I know recently OD'd on Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and Xanax.(long time xanax user) They are currently being hospitalized right now for what I think is a possible drug induced psychosis. Showing signs of psychosis (impaired thought process, can't speak clearly, no sense of self or surroundings, violent outbursts, etc.) and a twitch in his eyes. I am not a doctor, but I have a theory that the drugs had a reserve effect, causing hypomania. He has not been able to sleep in 4 days, or eat. I think that his dopamine levels are out of control and his neurotransmitters are overloading, therefor, his brain and nervous system are not working hand in hand. His psych evaluation gave no answers, but I think he is some sort of drug induced mania or manic episode. He can comprehend some things. He knows his families names, his name, and my name. I lost him at his address. He can also associate feelings with things. He basically speaks gibberish, but can connect certain feelings with things in his own way. Based on knowledge or experience, what could be going on? What happened in his body? What would treatment/recovery look like? I'm thinking time under psych evaluation, long-term possible recovery. For lack of a better term, he's basically lost it. Please share feedback.

quick info:
-Their speech is like "apple door granite gun"

Have no answers from any doctors yet. Really trying to make sense of what happened and what is going on. Please share any insight or knowledge.

He could have hypoxic brain damage from the OD (the worst case scenario), or he has taken something he didn't tell you about (synthetic cannabinoids, etc...).

Did they give him anything to reverse the OD? That could be a possible contributor, as well as regular withdrawal (4 days is nothing for a benzo cold turkey, and psychosis can definitely set in). Sleep deprivation could also be playing a role but like I said rebound excitability from benzo withdrawal can really scramble your brains.

We have narrowed it down to Xanax withdrawal. Kolonopin is beginning to bring him back to normal. Still very scatter brained but able to make more associations to real life.